Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 01:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by SWK6Cup
Holy Crap, Batman:
All of this "information" is designed to provoke thought, with the idea of learning something, applying something, in order to assist in becoming a better, (faster), safer driver......I guess what I am really learning, in here, is not to present these types of questions.............bummer
It's all good! A stimulating discussion. And, in the RL tradition, we eventually get around to it.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-04-2018, 04:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Sort of like Adam pronouncing judgment on Rob...
You guys have fun with that...........but , its not "sort of " like that at all. I only made an observation of Senna's "fun" "TV" lap in the NSX. If you think that is the fastest way around the track. i would sure like to hear how, sliding and pushing is faster than not sliding and pushing...... (contrary to the Pho-bee's assessment)
Old 01-04-2018, 05:02 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Funny. Maybe it`s just semantics but none of these concepts are mumbo-jumbo in the ski world. Ted Ligety - aka `Mr. GS` - has returned to racing after several injuries and recently has been talking about how to shorten the corner like some of his competitors have done during his absence. And the fastest downhillers have always initiated the turn with absolutely minimal edge angles just ahead of others to gain early deflection with minimal scrub. Same stuff.

Hard to coach these subtle skills/tactics unless both people in the conversation deeply know what the words represent. Gibberish to one person can be magic to another. Been there, done that.

And IMHO I think that obsession with data has overridden the equal importance of coaching the `feel` - kinesthetics for the driver and dynamics for the car. The best coach is the one who can link our subjective physical experience to the data and descriptive physics and explain the `why` and `how` with the most clarity

Last edited by jdistefa; 01-04-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Spot on, Matt
Old 01-04-2018, 05:31 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 269 Posts

Matt, that is a truism that can be taken to the bank
Old 01-04-2018, 05:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Hard to coach these subtle skills/tactics unless both people in the conversation deeply know what the words represent. Gibberish to one person can be magic to another. Been there, done that.

And IMHO I think that obsession with data has overridden the equal importance of coaching the `feel` - kinesthetics for the driver and dynamics for the car. The best coach is the one who can link our subjective physical experience to the data and descriptive physics and explain the `why` and `how` with the most clarity
Bingo, especially the last part.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:29 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

What are we going to do when AI kicks our (wet-brain) asses in every car on every track, just like it did in chess and go? These things can probably "learn" a car-track combo in ten laps.

Quick Reply: Driving Skills, continued