Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   40th birthday present to myself - 70s/80s porsche 911 or 67 camaro? (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1040950-40th-birthday-present-to-myself-70s-80s-porsche-911-or-67-camaro.html)

tvr-4 12-27-2017 10:19 PM

40th birthday present to myself - 70s/80s porsche 911 or 67 camaro?

I realize this is a general discussion question, but since i find myself to be more like-minded with track guys (vs show guys - no disrespect meant but into driving and not into showing ), i thought this forum may be more appropriate to help make a choice.

Im turning 40 this summer and would love to get a classic to drive around (possibly year around but to be clear, im not looking for comfort or conveneience and am completely ok "dealing with winter" so this wont be a tiebraker for one car over the other). The two choices im wrestling with are an old school 911 or a 67 camaro, here is my thinking on each:

- 67 Camaro - i know exactly what i would want (big block, manual, black/black, RS/SS trim), and ive always liked and wanted one of these. I am familiar with pricing, options, etc.
- 70s/80s Porsche 911 - love the brand and like the idea of driving around a vintage porsche, but dont know where to even start with models, years, pros/ cons of different options, etc. No idea on how to think about the pricing of different models, options, etc for a driver quality car.

My initial budget is $35-40k and id be ok getting a rough but immediately driveable car and restoring it over time with no particular long term budget limitation.

If you had to pick one, which way would you go, and if a P911 (i have a feeling there may be a few opting this route on this forum :-)), what is your ideal year, model, options, etc and why?

Blessed and thankful to have a problem like this, and I hope I can make it happen this summer!

Lets discuss!

TK

gbuff 12-27-2017 10:30 PM

Sounds like fun either way, but before you go the older Porsche route take in some of the info in this recent thread--good stuff :thumbup:.
https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...come-back.html

Gary

Gary R. 12-28-2017 07:05 AM

The two cars you list are about as apples vs. oranges as you can get. A muscled up 67 Camaro is good for driving to and attending cruise nights and running a 1/4 mile. An air-cooled Porsche is an OK touring car, tons of fun on back roads, and about 5x the cost for any parts you need. A/C is a "maybe sufficient" proposition in an old 911, and you have to be VERY careful which $35,000 911 3.0L SC (78-83) or 3.2L Carrera (84-89) you buy nowadays as there are some real dogs that have been prettied up to cash in on the recent price increases. There are relatively subtle differences between the years 78-86 (went to a 3.2L Motronic controlled engine in 84), 87-89 have the stouter G50 5 speed, 90-94 (964 version) went to 3.6 twin plug and better A/C system, 95-98 (993 version) changed the body style and are the last of the Air Cooled 911s.. Your budget points to well sorted 78-86 model, with recent engine/trans rebuilds by a known shop, full set of records, great PPI. The best forum for air cooled 911's is Pelican Parts IMO, but you may get a lot of responses here also.

To be honest, having owned 3 911 SC's, 1 Carrera, 2 964's, 1 930 (Turbo), 1 997S,(2005 911) 1 986 (97-99 Boxster), 1 981 (2014 Boxster), and 1 2009 Cayman S I would advise you to go out and drive a ~2013 Cayman S or Boxster S, then find an old mid- 80's 911 to drive. VERY different experiences but you may find you like the modern amenities, smooth ride, and reliability the newer car offers... Just a thought.

tvr-4 12-28-2017 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by gbuff (Post 14695250)
Sounds like fun either way, but before you go the older Porsche route take in some of the info in this recent thread--good stuff :thumbup:.
https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...come-back.html

Gary

Thank you - following that thread and reading up on pelican, very helpful!

Originally Posted by Gary R. (Post 14695677)
The two cars you list are about as apples vs. oranges as you can get. A muscled up 67 Camaro is good for driving to and attending cruise nights and running a 1/4 mile. An air-cooled Porsche is an OK touring car, tons of fun on back roads, and about 5x the cost for any parts you need. A/C is a "maybe sufficient" proposition in an old 911, and you have to be VERY careful which $35,000 911 3.0L SC (78-83) or 3.2L Carrera (84-89) you buy nowadays as there are some real dogs that have been prettied up to cash in on the recent price increases. There are relatively subtle differences between the years 78-86 (went to a 3.2L Motronic controlled engine in 84), 87-89 have the stouter G50 5 speed, 90-94 (964 version) went to 3.6 twin plug and better A/C system, 95-98 (993 version) changed the body style and are the last of the Air Cooled 911s.. Your budget points to well sorted 78-86 model, with recent engine/trans rebuilds by a known shop, full set of records, great PPI. The best forum for air cooled 911's is Pelican Parts IMO, but you may get a lot of responses here also.

To be honest, having owned 3 911 SC's, 1 Carrera, 2 964's, 1 930 (Turbo), 1 997S,(2005 911) 1 986 (97-99 Boxster), 1 987 (3014 Boxster, and 1 2009 Cayman S I would advise you to go out and drive a ~2013 Cayman S or Boxster S, then find an old mid- 80's 911 to drive. VERY different experiences but you may find you like the modern amenities, smooth ride, and reliability the newer car offers... Just a thought.

Great input on years / options - I currently have an 88 951 caged track car, have driven a 78 SC, and have owned an 01 996 turbo, so in terms of a "feel and comfort", im definitelly going for the raw driving experience (H1 Hummer of the sports car). IIve owned many comfortable dailys but feel like life is too short to drive around a living room chair. My wife will drive an X5 once we move back to US so that will take care of towing the track car.

I should have probably mentioned that my permanant location is mid-west so as long as the car has heat to get me through winters, im not too worried about great AC since i usually go to work between 6 and 7am and have a relatively short commute.

I know what you mean about appreciation, I looked at a couple of decent SCs about 5-6 years ago and they were in 12-15k range. Seems like there is nothing out there decent under $30k now. Worse with 993s/964s.

LuigiVampa 12-28-2017 11:39 AM

The correct answer is "yes".

Gary R. 12-28-2017 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by tvr-4 (Post 14695233)
If you had to pick one, which way would you go, and if a P911 (i have a feeling there may be a few opting this route on this forum :-)), what is your ideal year, model, options, etc and why?

To answer this using your $35-40k budget and your wanting an old school car, I would have to say buy the newest 911 you can swing ending at 1989.. That's personal taste for not being big on the 964's bumpers and the 993's front fenders, but they they both are great cars also. Again, fresh(ish) engine and transmission (engine rebuild can easily top $15k, transmissions now approaching $8-10k! Sorted/refreshed suspension, trouble free electronics, NO rust (78 SC on are fully galvanized, if there is rust it usually means poor accident repair or other abuse), as original as possible. No aftermarket anything unless it comes with the original parts in good condition (may be a pipe dream concerning radio but shoot for it). Find a WELL known shop to do a PPI!!

Don't get sucked into a "low mile" garage queen with no history. Original head studs can an WILL break on 95% of all early 911's ever made, and that means $$$ even on a 35,000 mile "perfect car". Not even mentioning the oil leaks from old seals and dried out rubber suspension parts.. :D
Miles mean little if the car has been refurbished correctly, it's all about the history!

ninjabones 12-28-2017 02:18 PM

I agree with (almost) everything Gary said above. However, with regard to avoiding aftermarket stuff, I might disagree. Similar to Gary, I've owned just about every Porsche model from 1969 to 2015 (911's, boxsters, caymans, cayenne's, 944's, etc). Given your track background, and your stated purpose of actually driving the car (and not buying a garage queen), the more tasteful performance oriented aftermarket **** that I don't have to buy and install myself the better (as long as it suits my tastes). With the exception of the 2015 Cayman S, I wasn't satisfied with the driving experience of any Porsche that I've owned in stock form. They all needed stuff to meet my expectations (e.g regear, light-weight flywheel, suspension, seats, exhaust, engine work, etc). Much better to let the prior owner take the depreciation hit on all the upgrades; however, it also means more research and a much smaller pool of cars that actually match your personal tastes.

In fact, it took me just over two years to find a long-hood hotrod that checked all the boxes. Your car is out there, just a matter of how long it takes to find it and how to prepare yourself (research) so you're ready to pull the trigger when the opportunity presents itself.

G

PelicanParts.com 12-28-2017 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by tvr-4 (Post 14695233)
I realize this is a general discussion question, but since i find myself to be more like-minded with track guys (vs show guys - no disrespect meant but into driving and not into showing ), i thought this forum may be more appropriate to help make a choice.

Im turning 40 this summer and would love to get a classic to drive around (possibly year around but to be clear, im not looking for comfort or conveneience and am completely ok "dealing with winter" so this wont be a tiebraker for one car over the other). The two choices im wrestling with are an old school 911 or a 67 camaro, here is my thinking on each:

- 67 Camaro - i know exactly what i would want (big block, manual, black/black, RS/SS trim), and ive always liked and wanted one of these. I am familiar with pricing, options, etc.
- 70s/80s Porsche 911 - love the brand and like the idea of driving around a vintage porsche, but dont know where to even start with models, years, pros/ cons of different options, etc. No idea on how to think about the pricing of different models, options, etc for a driver quality car.

My initial budget is $35-40k and id be ok getting a rough but immediately driveable car and restoring it over time with no particular long term budget limitation.

Blessed and thankful to have a problem like this, and I hope I can make it happen this summer!

Lets discuss!

TK

Everything the above members have stated is spot on - 2 different beasts, but equally as fun depending on the driving experience that you're going for. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have any tech related questions or if we can assist with any (Porsche :)) part needs! Let us know what you ultimately decide to go with..

David993S 12-28-2017 08:17 PM

Your choices couldn't be more different. Not that one is right vs. the other - it just depends on what you want from the experience. Since this is a Porsche forum, guess which one will get the most votes? ;)
I have to ask are you familiar with each one? Have you owned or driven either one? I've owned a number of 911's and just happened to have also owned a '69 Camaro SS396. I had the Camaro itch for quite a long time and finally decided to scratch it. Unless you buy one that is a resto-mod type Camaro, you may be in for a disappointment regarding ride quality, handling, build quality, braking, etc. My '69 was pretty much stock except for a breathed-on 396 and here's what I learned: Cars back then weren't nearly as good as we remembered from our youth. I only kept the Camaro for about a year and decided it just didn't live up to my high school memories....so I sold it.
I'm not saying don't buy one, just make sure your expectations are realistic.
Cheers. https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...9c214ba11c.jpg

David993S 12-28-2017 08:29 PM

^^ I wanted to ad.............it sure did sound fantastic and go like stink in a straight line. :burnout:

(Why am I now unable to edit my own posts? What's IB done now?? )

tvr-4 12-28-2017 10:36 PM

You guys are putting out some gold out there, really helpful hearing experience AND opinions on likes / dislikes with different cars and years.

Also, I do realize the cars are VERY different and if I could, I would excercise the “yes option” and get both, but that would require a very different thread, likely asking input on a divorce process... so tabling that one (for now :-)).

For the Camaro (or the Porsche for that matter), I don’t have high expectations on drivability and like the idea of going back in time driving the car as it was built from the factory. Either choice will definitely be a manual and neither will see performance driving, that’s what the caged car is for... I’m done with even spirited runs as I don’t feel comfortable driving beyond few mph over speed limit in anything other than a track car on a race track with full safety gear on.

PS, that’s a beautiful Camaro there!

tcsracing1 12-28-2017 11:29 PM

Id pass the camaro.... (i currently own a 67 firebird and 2x 1969 camaros)

Get yourself a good 78-83 911SC. Your budget is there. Spring for a G50 87-89 Carrera if you can.

Drive it and hot rod it to your tastes.

You cannot beat the 911 for driving pleasure.

SoCal RJ 12-28-2017 11:34 PM

Porsche. Have had 6 muscle cars and loved them all. Until I didn't a year later. Not sure that would happen with a Porsche, unless you wanted to get another one. Not a bad choice to have to make though. RJ

Lloyd 12-29-2017 03:12 AM

Here's a curve ball...get a Porsche 928 S4 5 speed or a 928 GT. Rarely seen on the road, attractive exterior / interior design, 320 horsepower / 170 mph, comfortable, great handling, more reliable than you think and NOW....going up in value. You can buy a very nice 928 for far less money than the other two choices.

tvr-4 12-30-2017 12:22 AM

Thoughts?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...che-911sc.html

Anyone know the seller? What would you ask about the car pre-PPI)?