Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

40th birthday present to myself - 70s/80s porsche 911 or 67 camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 01:53 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by tvr-4
Thoughts?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...che-911sc.html

Anyone know the seller? What would you ask about the car pre-PPI)?
it is a start.

ask about owner history, service records and paint work.

PPI anything this old.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:02 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

Since this is a Porsche forum, I'd go Camaro.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:20 PM
tvr-4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
it is a start.

ask about owner history, service records and paint work.

PPI anything this old.
Makes sense - thanks again for the input!!
Old 01-01-2018, 10:16 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not consider a '63 - 67 Corvette? Unlike Porsches and many other classics, prices on classic Vettes haven't changed in years. For $40K, you can buy a very nice Stingray roadster.

However, as others have said, these are old cars, and you might be more happy in something modern.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:40 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by zzyzx
Why not consider a '63 - 67 Corvette? Unlike Porsches and many other classics, prices on classic Vettes haven't changed in years. For $40K, you can buy a very nice Stingray roadster.

However, as others have said, these are old cars, and you might be more happy in something modern.
disc brakes came in 1965.
Getting harder to find decent 65-67 small block roadsters for only $40k.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:58 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
disc brakes came in 1965.
Getting harder to find decent 65-67 small block roadsters for only $40k.
+1

For $40k you'll get a "driver" with NOM, probably rust in the birdcage and lord knows what else.

Clean, mostly original cars go for much more than that. Don't even think about a SWC for that price unless it's a total fright pig.

Gary
Old 01-01-2018, 04:52 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Since this is a Porsche forum, I'd go Camaro.
me too...
Old 01-01-2018, 11:38 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I've owned a gazillion 911's over the years, my wife has a 1970 LT1 corvette, it drives like a pick up. I grew up on Muscle cars - my first drive in a 911 convinced my to shake those things off like a bad case of fleas. I think a 928 would be an interesting choice as well.

Enjoy the quest!

Phil
Old 01-02-2018, 08:47 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I scratched my muscle car itch with a stock oem black/black tri-power 1964 GTO. What a piece of crap. Brakes suck. Handling sucked. But it looked cool. Had fun buying it at Mecum auction Kissimmee. Sold it a year later.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:27 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by tvr-4
Thoughts?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...che-911sc.html

Anyone know the seller? What would you ask about the car pre-PPI)?
Don't know the seller, not much info on the car there. I would ask about service records, engine rebuilt (when and by who?), transmission rebuilt? Does he have the OEM steering wheel? (not a fan of the one in there, not that I like the OEM either tho), front view pic showing running lights and headlights? (Those look like H4's, which are a good upgrade over the sugar scoops). Picture of engine compartment? If I see a K&N air filter or a red fan (Motormeister rebuild possibility) I would RUN.. Seat covers look porked, can't see dash well (is it cracked?). Then there's the question of the suspension condition, any rust? Does it have Turbo tie rods (a good if not necessary upgrade), condition of brakes, and on and on.. A PPI at a known and well reviewed shop is an ABSOLUTE must! Remember, a single broken head stud can be thousands of dollars to have replaced, in fact anything you have done on these is usually in the thousands so the more info you have the better and even a PPI can miss stuff...
Old 01-02-2018, 03:40 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
^^ I wanted to ad.............it sure did sound fantastic and go like stink in a straight line.

(Why am I now unable to edit my own posts? What's IB done now?? )
^ this

I had a 69SS hugger orange with a 350. Straight line was always a blast. Turning was laughable at best. It was sloppy as hell.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:47 PM
tvr-4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
I scratched my muscle car itch with a stock oem black/black tri-power 1964 GTO. What a piece of crap. Brakes suck. Handling sucked. But it looked cool. Had fun buying it at Mecum auction Kissimmee. Sold it a year later.
Thats just it, an "itch" - even though ive been a hard core Porsche guy since childhood, the musle car "idea" keeps popping up every couple of years and its almost to the point that ill need to do it so i can just check it off. The rational side says get a 911 and just drive it beacuse you are a Porsche guy.... hence the thread.

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Don't know the seller, not much info on the car there. I would ask about service records, engine rebuilt (when and by who?), transmission rebuilt? Does he have the OEM steering wheel? (not a fan of the one in there, not that I like the OEM either tho), front view pic showing running lights and headlights? (Those look like H4's, which are a good upgrade over the sugar scoops). Picture of engine compartment? If I see a K&N air filter or a red fan (Motormeister rebuild possibility) I would RUN.. Seat covers look porked, can't see dash well (is it cracked?). Then there's the question of the suspension condition, any rust? Does it have Turbo tie rods (a good if not necessary upgrade), condition of brakes, and on and on.. A PPI at a known and well reviewed shop is an ABSOLUTE must! Remember, a single broken head stud can be thousands of dollars to have replaced, in fact anything you have done on these is usually in the thousands so the more info you have the better and even a PPI can miss stuff...
Got some details - the car is mostly original (all body panels are) and it has no current issues, but no maintenance or upgrade history. I got detailed pics and the car seems in good shape, so I guess a proper PPI from someone that knows these things would be the right thing to do if I went the Porsche route.

Thanks again for very helpful input.

Originally Posted by jlanka
^ this

I had a 69SS hugger orange with a 350. Straight line was always a blast. Turning was laughable at best. It was sloppy as hell.
Jeff - yes, Id expect that, I think its what Clarke said that nails it (an itch). I need to experience it and kick it around for a year, then get the 911 (instead of or in addition to). Based on the input, seems like she is a really hot blonde thats horrible in the sack... but you just have to find out. Not sure where the thread heads from here, but seems like we have it sorted out.

BTW, interesting ideas on both the Vette and the 928, but neither works for me personally.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:28 PM
Lloyd
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm, can't talk you into a 928???......then go out and drive a 1987,88, or 89 911 with the G50 gear box and then a 1986 and earlier 911 model with the 915 transmission. In my opinion, the better G50 transmission (and 3.2 engine) is the biggest difference in the SC / Carrera model year cars and is worth the extra money if you are going to keep and drive it.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:49 AM
Lloyd
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Today posting on Pelican of a 1987 911 with 64k miles in the same town. Fresh paint, wide body, rare color, for $39,000 may be more desirable than the 1983 SC. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...64k-miles.html
Old 01-03-2018, 10:41 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

^^

A G50 Carrera may indeed be more desirable than an SC (depends on who you ask ), but I'm not sure that particular Carrera is more desirable. It doesn't appear to be a factory wide body based on asking price and bumpers (that option on the '84 - '87 model years commands a huge premium over a regular Carrera). Probably a fiberglass aftermarket kit. Also, front bumper cover is not from an '87 (looks like 964). Again.....is it a factory bumper cover or a glass reproduction? Are the Fuchs genuine or reproductions? All that can really hurt the value. Looks like it's nicely done, but just be very careful regarding the bodywork. If the body conversion is in steel and the craftsmanship is good, then it might be a neat car to have.

Last edited by David993S; 01-03-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Quick Reply: 40th birthday present to myself - 70s/80s porsche 911 or 67 camaro?