40th birthday present to myself - 70s/80s porsche 911 or 67 camaro? - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Performance & Competition Discussion Areas > Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Reload this Page >

40th birthday present to myself - 70s/80s porsche 911 or 67 camaro?

Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum Advertisement
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

40th birthday present to myself - 70s/80s porsche 911 or 67 camaro?

Old 01-03-2018, 11:35 AM
Nickshu
Addict
Rennlist Member

I owned an '82 SC for 14 years. The 915 shifts like a tractor at anything other than track speed/RPMs. If I was in the market today I would go for the years with the G50. Swapping a G50 into an earlier car unfortunately is not plug and play. IIRC the transmission tunnel or the mount positions were changed to accommodate the G50.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:20 PM
Gary R.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tvr-4 View Post
Got some details - the car is mostly original (all body panels are) and it has no current issues, but no maintenance or upgrade history. I got detailed pics and the car seems in good shape, so I guess a proper PPI from someone that knows these things would be the right thing to do if I went the Porsche route.
If it were me and there are 0 records I would only go by the PPI of a VERY well trusted Indy Porsche shop.. Back when these were $10k cars the saying was "every SC is a $20k car, regardless of the initial cost". That was when a good engine rebuild was $5-6K and a tranny refresh $1-2k.. Now the same lipstick on a pig car with "deferred" maintenance costs $25-35k and those rebuilds can easily top $20k now. I would search for a fresh car with RECORDS, then PPI that to see how many thousands more you will need to spend on a suspension refresh if IT hasn't been done...

Look for stuff like poorly covered seats, cheap carpet, filthy engine compartment, steam cleaned (just before the picture) undercarriage, uneven gaps, odd looking wiring (though even stock the wiring looks pretty bad!) etc. etc.. just like you would any used car.

This was a good book when I bought my first 911, now it has later models also but still worth the read -
The Used 911 Story The Used 911 Story
by Peter Zimmermann
Old 01-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Gary R.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David993S View Post
^^

A G50 Carrera may indeed be more desirable than an SC (depends on who you ask ), but I'm not sure that particular Carrera is more desirable. It doesn't appear to be a factory wide body based on asking price and bumpers (that option on the '84 - '87 model years commands a huge premium over a regular G50). Probably a fiberglass aftermarket kit. Also, front bumper cover is not from an '87 (looks like 964). Again.....is it a factory bumper cover or a glass reproduction? Are the Fuchs genuine or reproductions? All that can really hurt the value. Looks like it's nicely done, but just be very careful regarding the bodywork. If the body conversion is in steel and the craftsmanship is good, then it might be a neat car to have.
It's DEFINITELY not an M491 optioned car, and the bodywork emulates a 90-94 965 (911 Turbo). I agree, IF properly done with steel and using OEM Porsche bumpers, turbo trailing arms, etc. it could be a fun car, but never worth what a stock version is and harder to sell.. A lot a variables sitting there, would be scary to me to dive into that and I know a bit... At that mileage the engine hasn't been touched and between the crap OEM valve guides in the 3.2 and impending head stud breakage alone I would skip it if my assumption on originality is correct..
Old 01-03-2018, 08:57 PM
R717
User

Originally Posted by pu911rsr View Post
my wife has a 1970 LT1 corvette, it drives like a pick up.
You sure you're not Sugarwood?? The small block midyear and C3 Vettes perform impressively if the suspension and bushings aren't tired/out of spec and they have some decent radial tires. Defintely a step above most other "muscle cars". The midyear vettes are quite stable until you get fast enough for the front end lift (yes that's highway speed in certain states, but not arguing aero).
That said there is a reason my racecar is an air-cooled 911.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:20 AM
Matt Lane
Addict
Rennlist Member

TVR - reach out to Andrew. One of his clients had a nice G50 Carrera at a good price. Ask him for details (and if still available).

I can share my thoughts too if you'd like.

Cheers

Matt
Old 01-04-2018, 01:45 AM
pu911rsr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R717 View Post
You sure you're not Sugarwood?? The small block midyear and C3 Vettes perform impressively if the suspension and bushings aren't tired/out of spec and they have some decent radial tires. Defintely a step above most other "muscle cars". The midyear vettes are quite stable until you get fast enough for the front end lift (yes that's highway speed in certain states, but not arguing aero).
That said there is a reason my racecar is an air-cooled 911.
Car has been completely restored/rebuilt, may need some sorting to be 100 % correct- it's certainly better than a garden variety muscle car but not near as fun to drive as a 911- my kids think it's fun but they don't like as much as the M3's we track.
Phil
Old 01-08-2018, 11:34 AM
Lloyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey tvr-4 have you selected your choice between the classic 911 and the 60s muscle Camaro?? This forum is certainly pro Porsche.....however, the Barrett Jackson auction starts this week and it will be swimming with old nice Camaros.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:59 AM
tvr-4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Hey tvr-4 have you selected your choice between the classic 911 and the 60s muscle Camaro?? This forum is certainly pro Porsche.....however, the Barrett Jackson auction starts this week and it will be swimming with old nice Camaros.
Hi there - thank you for following up! Ironically, following your last post, I did look into 928 more and find them a really cool (and under appreciated / undervalued car).... but looking at what I really want, Iím still passing on it :-).

To answer your question, Iíll be going with a Camaro - need to do it to mark it off the bucket list... weíll see how long Iíll last based on the comments above.

Thanks again to all, enjoyed hearing the perspectives and especially appreciate deep input from those of you that really know these cars.

Cheers, TK
Old 01-12-2018, 03:25 PM
tcsracing1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tvr-4 View Post

Hi there - thank you for following up! Ironically, following your last post, I did look into 928 more and find them a really cool (and under appreciated / undervalued car).... but looking at what I really want, Iím still passing on it :-).

To answer your question, Iíll be going with a Camaro - need to do it to mark it off the bucket list... weíll see how long Iíll last based on the comments above.

Thanks again to all, enjoyed hearing the perspectives and especially appreciate deep input from those of you that really know these cars.

Cheers, TK
Nothing wrong with your choice.
The 67' CAMARO can be a fun car. Look for the best example you can afford.
Upgrades such and suspension, steering and brakes are important to overall enjoyment. The aftermarket is huge.

Once you get a year behind the wheel, you will be back to Porsche.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:07 PM
tvr-4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1 View Post
Nothing wrong with your choice.
The 67' CAMARO can be a fun car. Look for the best example you can afford.
Upgrades such and suspension, steering and brakes are important to overall enjoyment. The aftermarket is huge.

Once you get a year behind the wheel, you will be back to Porsche.
Haha, im sure it will be a journey.... to be clear, I am keeping my 951 race car and that car will be seeing track duty so ill get my fair fix of handling.

Ill post up once i get some good leads and we can all have fun with it. Im sure there will be some "i told you so" moments but its all good, i feel fortunate and blessed to have a choice "problem" like this! :-)

Cheers, TK
Old 01-17-2018, 09:47 PM
sugarwood
User

I was going to vote for the Camaro.
Glad that's the route you've chosen.

You have a track car, so driving performance is somewhat moot.
Go test drive a muscle car and see how it makes you feel.
I too will be buying a muscle car one of these coming years.
Forget cruise night crap, I will be driving it to work.

From a buyer's market point of view.
The muscle market has stagnated for a decade and not recovered.
You can probably get a show car with half your budget.

Please post up links of Camaros you are considering.
It would be fun to follow your search.

In the meantime, this should get you fired up! Start at 5:17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHAiXBDKS_E&feature=youtu.be&t=5m16s
Old 01-18-2018, 09:23 PM
tvr-4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
I was going to vote for the Camaro.
Glad that's the route you've chosen.

You have a track car, so driving performance is somewhat moot.
Go test drive a muscle car and see how it makes you feel.
I too will be buying a muscle car one of these coming years.
Forget cruise night crap, I will be driving it to work.

From a buyer's market point of view.
The muscle market has stagnated for a decade and not recovered.
You can probably get a show car with half your budget.

Please post up links of Camaros you are considering.
It would be fun to follow your search.

In the meantime, this should get you fired up! Start at 5:17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHAiXBDKS_E&feature=youtu.be&t=5m16s
Ah, yes - great video! I also plan on driving this thing daily so it will be an experience. Here are my must haves:

- 67 or 69 year model (if 67, has to be RS), 4-speed
- black or silver exterior if body already restored, any color if unrestored
- black interior

So far, ive missed out on an unrestored 69 Z28/RS that was listed in low 30s that went for $28k... wasnt selling for a while because people were scared of the rust, but i though it was a good buy at $28k. Here are two other cars im inquiring on:

- https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...new-york-11704
- https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...sey-07005-1918

Im in no rush so it will be a matter of finding the right car at the right price. Let me know if you (or anyone else) know of other good places to find good cars!

Cheers, TK
Old 01-19-2018, 07:51 PM
sugarwood
User

TVR,
What part of the country are you in ?
How stuck are you on '67 (and not 68 or 69)
Old 01-20-2018, 10:54 PM
tvr-4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
TVR,
What part of the country are you in ?
How stuck are you on '67 (and not 68 or 69)
Currentky in Quebec, Canada, permanently in Columbus, OH.

Not stuck on 67, that was my initial thinking...latest thinking reflected a couple posts above.

What do you think about the cars in the links above?
Old 02-05-2018, 01:01 PM
RDM2418
User

Have you thought about increasing your budget and getting a "hot rod" Porsche? There is a place in Portland that does an awesome job at them - Avant Garde - Josh/Matt. I'd talk to those guys.

​​​​​​https://www.a-gc.com/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 40th birthday present to myself - 70s/80s porsche 911 or 67 camaro?

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: