Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LevelUP Racing school - Kudos!

Old 12-20-2017, 11:33 AM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LevelUP Racing school - Kudos!

Just finished a 2 day school at Atlanta Motorsports Park with the LevelUP guys. Let me say right off it was fantastic.

I have been through other schools and was frankly wary of any school at this point but i need that certificate to get me a provisional license. So what set this school apart?
1. The staff has immense experience. They are all either pro, scca race (or ever WKA) National winners (or championships) or all three. They have taught literally thousands of students if not x10 for Terry so they have seen it all.
2. the Spec Miata was perfect for this. I have never driven one but what a fun a fun car. Lots a movement, great handling and brakes. Very momentum car and that was what I needed for this school, HP and big tires can be a crutch. (Such as my old GT3RS love that car tho)
3. LU pushes each student with excellent, exactly what i need to hear feedback on almost every lap. This is not a "make me feel good all the time" kinda feedback. its critical with a "you can do it tho" verbal push. The "do this, don' do that" was spot on and i actually understood it.
4. I have never had a school teach trail braking, like really teach and provide feedback. That was my assignment to make a breakthrough. these guys watch you at critical corner stations, they know by the cars attitude and tire sound if i got it right. It was hard and i had to go beyond my comfort level to feel the car rotate with trailing brake. Get it right and what a great feeling. If i got it wrong heard about it I know i either or both over braked for the apex or the car pushed on turn in. Get it right and the corner just flows, really really cool
5. finally these guys are a hoot (southern word maybe!) they are hysterical giving each other sh%^^&t and some of the stories of PL Newman and other racers was really cool. They were very personable and approachable.

I could go on and on but highly recommend these guys if you want to go faster because they will push you. At the end of the 2 days I was spent but had broken through my old plateau and the new one is very exciting.

HughP3
Old 12-20-2017, 01:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by hughp3
Just finished a 2 day school at Atlanta Motorsports Park with the LevelUP guys. Let me say right off it was fantastic.

I have been through other schools and was frankly wary of any school at this point but i need that certificate to get me a provisional license.

4. I have never had a school teach trail braking, like really teach and provide feedback. That was my assignment to make a breakthrough. these guys watch you at critical corner stations, they know by the cars attitude and tire sound if i got it right. It was hard and i had to go beyond my comfort level to feel the car rotate with trailing brake. Get it right and what a great feeling. If i got it wrong heard about it I know i either or both over braked for the apex or the car pushed on turn in. Get it right and the corner just flows, really really cool

At the end of the 2 days I was spent but had broken through my old plateau and the new one is very exciting.

HughP3
Awesome!

Peter, Keith, Stevie D and Terry Lee are a well-oiled machine!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-20-2017, 01:55 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

Yes I agree I have had many experiences with various schools across the country and one thing remains clear. There are many places that provide a track experience with famed drivers but very few with good teachers. I really could care less if an instructor has won any races or raced Daytona I want someone who can teach me how to be a better driver. Glad you found such a place and I will have to make my way there for some lessons
Old 12-20-2017, 02:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by hughp3

So what set this school apart?

1. The staff has immense experience. They have taught literally thousands of students if not x10 for Terry so they have seen it all.
^^THIS^^

When I went to Lime Rock for weeklong training as a SBRS instructor many years ago, I thought I was hot stuff. I'd been doing it on my own for two decades beforehand so I was not some newbie. Plus, I'd attended the program a few times, starting in 1984.

ALL FOUR SBRS Chief Regional Instructors for the school, at the time, were our team leaders for Instructor Training. Jason Holehouse, Gregg Borland, Randy Buck and Terry Earwood.

Twelve of us went through the program and it was intense. At the end of the first (and second) day, I wanted to go home... They shone with the brightness of 1000W klieg lights, with their polish and just the right words.

But, the strength of this well-oiled curriculum and the incredible facility of conveying both fundamental concepts and real-time feedback was tremendous, and I finished feeling good. And MUCH better at what I do...

As pointed out before, the forty years that this curriculum has been refined, along with decades of experience of what works and what doesn't, IS the value of this teaching methodology. LevelUp, along with Lucas Oil, was founded by longtime, senior SBRS instructors, made from this mold.

It's great that Hugh had a good experience. I would expect nothing less, given the caliber of the racing and driving instructors that make up LevelUp's program....
Old 12-20-2017, 09:35 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

This is VERY convincing and sounds like what I am looking for.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:43 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Hugh - thanks for the kind words about the school. It was great to watch you and the other drivers improve every session.

We're very excited to be a part of the LevelUp program. Several of those guys were my instructors back in the day, and they are even more polished and refined in their feedback and instructing skills 20+ years later. And I think Terry gets more entertaining every time I see him!

The cars the school is using are our Spec MX-5's, which we just completely refurbished for both schools and our $100k scholarship racing series. Press release here:
http://www.racer.com/mazda-motorspor...enge-announced

We are working on our next school date with LevelUp, which will likely include a lapping day as well. Expect an announcement soon and a date in February at a track in the southeast.

Driver Coaching / Trackside Support / Race Prep / Car Builds

SPB/SPC/GTB1 donors ready to go for your next build. We do cages in house as well.

PDK repair experts
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Old 12-21-2017, 12:56 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Geez sorry Todd for my single mindedness. Todd's crew did an awesome job providing a perfect car and much appreciated track in/out help. Its a big effort to field one car much less a school of them . Great job guys.

HughP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LevelUP Racing school - Kudos!