Sponsored by:

Northeast Region PCA Driver Education Announces "Vintage Days"

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 07:36 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Northeast Region PCA Driver Education Announces "Vintage Days"

Northeast Region Vintage Days - Not just another series of Driver Education Days

Over the course of 2018, Northeast Region will hold a series of up to four Driver Education events named: Northeast Region Vintage Days. While these events fall under the auspices of the existing NER DE Program - they are purposely different. In fact, by design, they have been developed for those drivers who have left standard DE formats as frankly, our older cars just simply have an increasingly difficult time keeping up in the Solo typical Driver Education Run Groups and many of us have been jokingly referred to as the "Rolling Chicanes" by drivers of GT3s, GT4s, Cup cars, Caymen Rs - well, you know - "those kind'a cars"...

But, we in the Northeast Region think it's time we take back the day and introduce a Driver Education Format which caters to continuing education, safety - and yes - fun as we pedal our older cars around the track, and frankly, some might argue, we are damn good drivers for that experience. So, that being the case, the NER Driver Education Team is proud to announce an adjunct to our current schedule and format - Vintage Days.

In short, Northeast Region Vintage Days follows and adheres to all our existing PCA Driver Education procedures (passing rules, pre-tech, trackside tech, drivers meetings, etc.), but pushes a couple of aspects even further. For example, classroom sessions are mandatory - and there are two of them for each Run Group per day. And track time? Up to 2.5 hours of track time per day per driver, as there are only three Run Groups. And yes, we are also planning on having on-track/in-car exercises such as passing, parallel driving, braking, turn-ins, etc.

But - there are some catches. You must register with and bring a vintage car that is pre-classified as listed below. The two "street" Run Groups (NAF & ALF) means that you typically drive your car to the track on street tires - and drive it home with street tires at the end of the day. In other words - the street groups mean exactly that - "registered or able to be registered for driving on the street".

And another catch or requirement for Vintage Days: You must have attended and have been promoted to any Solo level Run group with a PCA Region (or BMW, Audi, or any recognized program) to register for Vintage Days. New to DE and want to do this program specifically? Perfect! No problem, simply sign up to the NER Ground School (March 3) and come to our Thompson or Palmer Event at the beginning of the 2018 season - and we'll get you started on your journey to attending our Vintage days in your classic Porsche or vintage car.

OK - sounds pretty good so far, right? Well, too, if you've been out of the sport for a while, Northeast Region will also have a core set of Instructors at the track who - if you are a bit rusty - will be there in your right hand seat to refresh all those things you may have forgotten. So, if you've been out of it for a while because you thought you couldn't keep up with the latest hardware from Germany, here's your opportunity to join Northeast Region in some low stress and lower speed events compared to standard DE formats.

And a couple of things to keep in mind before you sign up... These events will strive to vigorously maintain the "spirit" of Vintage Days. Aggressive driving will not be tolerated - period. Even if you appear to be driving in the "Red Mist" and conduct yourself in that way, you will be ejected from Vintage Days. This series is meant to be fun - safe and serious fun - and re-emphasize all the aspects we fell in love with when many of us started doing Driver Education and can recall numbers of fellow 356s, SWB 911s, 914s and 912s on the track with us.

So, following are the NER Vintage Run Groups as classified to date:

NAF - Not As Fast
356 (all) 1948-1965
912 (all) 1965-1969, 1976
924 1976-1982
924 Turbo 1979-1982
924S 1987-1988
944 (not S/S2/Turbo) 1982-1989
914-4 1969-1976
914-6 1970-1972
911 1965-1977
911SC 1978-1983
986 Boxster 1997-2004

ALF - A Little Faster
911 Carrera 1984-1989
930 1975-1989
964 Turbo 1990-1994
993 1995-1998
964 1989-1994
928 1978-1995
968 1992-1995
944 S/S2/Turbo 1986-1991
Boxster S 2000-2004

Vintage Race
All cars/years classified above, but not Street Configuration

And finally, for those who know me - NER isn't a region that really does something only "halfway", so rather you can expect that Vintage Days to have it's own permanent presence in the Northeast Region Driver Education Program. That means education classes and course materials specific to our cars. That means we will have a Student feedback and progress tracking mechanisms. And of course, that means that everything you learn at Vintage Days is transferable into our standard Driver Education Program - should you decide to get back into our standard DE program as well.

By the way - yep, that's me driving my vintage car when Vintage Days was still 18 years away in the future.. And it seems like yesterday...
Old 12-19-2017, 08:05 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Wow! - what a great idea, and vintage racers to boot!
Old 12-19-2017, 08:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

AWESOME!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-19-2017, 09:38 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

It's a great idea John.
So would you like me to show up with my Formula Meowzda? At 1.3L displacement it is smaller than all of those Porsche vintage rides. Hehehe.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:44 PM
John D.
Banned

My Thanks Cemoto, ProCoach (Dave ) and Coochas..!

And, Coochas - if I can classify it - you can drive it... I've already had a few PM's about non-Porsche's and two rang the bell to be included (a '68 Spitfire with rollover protection) and another Rennlist Member with a Datsun 240Z.

As well, ProCoach - you have a voice mail. Sorry about the delayed call back this evening, but - I've been a bit busy, well - as you probably guessed??

My thanks and best to all - and on behalf of the entire NER DE Committee - our thanks!

John D.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

John D., I think you have me confused with VR! No voicemail to me!

Great idea, though!
Old 12-19-2017, 09:53 PM
John D.
Banned

Well - don't going thinking you got off that hook so easy I should have looked at the Avatars?!!

BTW - we should chat... I'll call you tomorrow, OK?

My thanks!

John D.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by John D.
Well - don't going thinking you got off that hook so easy I should have looked at the Avatars?!!

BTW - we should chat... I'll call you tomorrow, OK?

My thanks!

John D.
Sounds good. In all day after 11 AM. That darned fitness thread has me going to the gym...
Old 12-19-2017, 10:03 PM
bbinder
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Love it!
Old 12-19-2017, 10:07 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Sounds good. In all day after 11 AM. That darned fitness thread has me going to the gym...

I knew there was a reason I shouldn't read that thread..!!

Look forward to chatting - and my thanks!

John D.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:48 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,400 Likes on 748 Posts

John, this is a great idea.
Sorry I missed your call, will call you back today. Thank you!
Old 12-20-2017, 02:44 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

DE version of Grumpy Old Men
Old 12-20-2017, 06:48 PM
John D.
Banned

Hey Veloce Raptor - great chat today, thank you!! I'm really looking forward to next season and what we chatted about.. Thank you!!

Also - ProCoach - I tried you today with the number I had from a couple of years ago... I think the error is at my end, as I just checked your website in your sig ("duh" - I should have done that first!) and will call you tomorrow...!

And....

Originally Posted by GT3DE
DE version of Grumpy Old Men
I'm guessing you just do "drive by posts without too much experience"? Actually - if you'd ever been to an NER Event, you would have known we don't allow "Grumpy Old Men". I'd suggest you actually make it to one of our events - or change PCA Regions where "Grumpy Old Men" aren't allowed - unless you are one of those - in which case - you wouldn't be allowed anyway...

John D.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,400 Likes on 748 Posts

Likewise, John, thank you!

Merry Christmas
Old 12-20-2017, 08:19 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Fantastic concept! I bet it will be a huge success. I especially like the true street requirement.
A question/suggestion: (already mentioned) Since in PCA one can bring a non-Porsche to a DE; what about extending the NAF group to include some other older (slower) kinds of cars. I often thought it would be kind of fun to take my old Alfa to a PCA DE but it would give new meaning to "rolling chicane" Obviously you can't list every possible car, but if you promote it as friendly to folks with other Marque vintage toys, it could really explode (pun intended).

Quick Reply: Northeast Region PCA Driver Education Announces "Vintage Days"