Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The biggest mistakes newer and intermediate drivers make.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 02:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by jonb94112
What I find myself doing is, (once I am on the throttle) balancing the trajectory of the car and grip on exit by releasing and adding lock as needed. On the other hand, I can't help thinking that overall grip should be better in a perfect world if fewer movements of the wheel were used.
Good post! More detail later, and I'm sure the mind hive can add to this, but you're correct.

The "overall grip (and particularly balance and heading of the car) should be better if fewer movements of the wheel were used" is ON the money.

Instead of using steering lock to adjust the trajectory, changes in the RATE of progression of the throttle should be used.

Ideally, the wheel is straighter than the radius the car is taking coming off the corner, the radius now controlled by anticipatory progression of throttle application THROUGH to WOT.

If this is not possible (to use changes in throttle to affect/influence/alter radius and heading coming off the corner), then you've either overslowed just a trace too much, or you're late on the throttle! <grin> Try fixing the second, first!

Some places to practice this might be MRLS T2/T3, Sonoma T12, Road America T8/T12/T14, Sebring T5/T10/T13/T17, VIR T1/T3/T17, Summit T2/T6/T9, WGI T1/T5/T8/T10/T11, LRP T2/T6, COTA T1/T12/T13. Of course, there are lots more, but weigh risk/reward FIRST. <big grin>
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-10-2018, 03:04 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I only read the title. The biggest mistake any new person (sub 10 sessions) makes, is the wanting to go fast in the straight line bits.
When i instruct, i set a virtual rpm rev limiter and speed limiter. I do this for myself as well when learning a new track.

i.e. when i drive the gt3, new track, i can't exceed 5,000 rpm*. Therefore user concentrates in other area's instead of feeling overwhelmed. Long straights i tell students do not go over X mph.

*rpm varies pending on car
Old 01-10-2018, 03:54 PM
jonb94112
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Good post! More detail later, and I'm sure the mind hive can add to this, but you're correct.

The "overall grip (and particularly balance and heading of the car) should be better if fewer movements of the wheel were used" is ON the money.

Instead of using steering lock to adjust the trajectory, changes in the RATE of progression of the throttle should be used.

Ideally, the wheel is straighter than the radius the car is taking coming off the corner, the radius now controlled by anticipatory progression of throttle application THROUGH to WOT.

If this is not possible (to use changes in throttle to affect/influence/alter radius and heading coming off the corner), then you've either overslowed just a trace too much, or you're late on the throttle! <grin> Try fixing the second, first!

Some places to practice this might be MRLS T2/T3, Sonoma T12, Road America T8/T12/T14, Sebring T5/T10/T13/T17, VIR T1/T3/T17, Summit T2/T6/T9, WGI T1/T5/T8/T10/T11, LRP T2/T6, COTA T1/T12/T13. Of course, there are lots more, but weigh risk/reward FIRST. <big grin>
Thank you Peter - that helps to confirm what I was thinking. In my case, I think it is sometimes more a function of being too greedy with the throttle as opposed to being late on the throttle. Of course, this might also be a function of just slightly over slowing entry, as you referenced.

As another example, watching Dion's video here, you can see what I'm talking about on the exit of Oak Tree.
Here is a case of an obviously talented driver doing what needs to be done to get a good exit, staying on the throttle, but there are wheel corrections.
I wonder if you see this as much in purpose built (Formula, Indy, etc) as opposed to production based race cars driven by professionals?

Quick Reply: The biggest mistakes newer and intermediate drivers make.