Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The biggest mistakes newer and intermediate drivers make.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 03:26 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Akunob- I am reporting what I see after insuring many thousands of participants. There is no gross generalization. My personal writings are based on hard data that I collected from 7 years of my program and witnessed first hand at events

" It may come as a surprise to you that over 50% of the on-track incidents that are reported to the DE safety chiefs occur in the Instructor groups!! "- This is no surprise to me.

The majority of our claims are advanced/instructor groups . Hmmmmmm maybe they mean "Going Faster" as a methodical approach to going faster not driving over ones head to go faster. I am a direct result and a graduate of there "old" school and race series. Every time I am on the track regardless of race, practice or DE I use the training they have instilled in me to work up to speed. Race weekend I am always towards the bottom of the sheets in the first practice time . Working on my sight pictures, braking and turn in points. Thankfully at the end of the race I am almost always at the front
Old 01-02-2018, 04:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
Akunob- I am reporting what I see after insuring many thousands of participants. There is no gross generalization. My personal writings are based on hard data that I collected from 7 years of my program and witnessed first hand at events

" It may come as a surprise to you that over 50% of the on-track incidents that are reported to the DE safety chiefs occur in the Instructor groups!! "- This is no surprise to me.

The majority of our claims are advanced/instructor groups . Hmmmmmm maybe they mean "Going Faster" as a methodical approach to going faster not driving over ones head to go faster. I am a direct result and a graduate of there "old" school and race series. Every time I am on the track regardless of race, practice or DE I use the training they have instilled in me to work up to speed. Race weekend I am always towards the bottom of the sheets in the first practice time . Working on my sight pictures, braking and turn in points. Thankfully at the end of the race I am almost always at the front
Bingo! Great post. Jibes with my experience.

It's not the n00bs that are the issue... It's the "advanced/instructor" drivers that do the same old thing for a long time, then all of a sudden take TOO BIG A BITE in an effort to get "going faster."
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-02-2018, 08:04 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
Completely agree with you there Steve, "over driving" one's car is one of the biggest mistakes certain drivers make. I'm always amazed when certain drivers try to set PBs on the first few laps after the initial yellow outlap to start the first session of a DE weekend! I much prefer your approach.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:54 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts
Default Intermediate Driver

So, I am in the sample group - I am an intermediate driver getting quicker. I have had some wonderful volunteer instructors at PCA events and others. Let me share a few things from the student driver's perspective that I've learned during the last 4 years from zero track time to intermediate level driver. My experiences may be unique to me, so take that with a grain of salt.

1. I had to change a habit that was taught to me as a green student to get completely off the brakes whenever turning the wheel. I wish my instructor had said "since you are green, we are going to teach you a safe way to turn in. But it is not the fastest way. You will learn trail braking when you are more experienced". Instead I cheated and instinctively began to trail brake.

2. For me, I had trouble deciphering the difference between general wisdom and specific direction. "Get in a little tighter" - what exactly is he telling me to do? I worked with an instructor at Barber who was crazy clear and it made a huge difference. "I would like you to get 8" on the curb on Corner 10, and Corner and 6" on the curb on Corner 11". "And it matters a lot if you are a few inches off". Got it!

3. As a student you are taught the racing line. "This is where you want the car" is pounded into our head. Yet, when I watched videos of the fastest drivers, I see them running a slightly different line each lap. Now, as a faster driver I use the racing line as "base line" of where I will adjust from and to depending how far off ideal I am at any particular point in the process.

4. Eyes Up - I was real slow on truly understanding what this meant. Every instructor gave me this advice in general. But until recently, I really did not get how important it is. Today, I think it accounts for 90% of my attention behind the wheel. So, I have another 10% to go!!!
Old 01-03-2018, 01:54 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Vision is a big factor.
Like with action pistol shooting - you have to see everything, but look at nothing.

In other words, you see the track, your brake and turn markers, the traffic, the flag stands, etc. But you are not focusing on any one thing. Sort of a zen thing, but when you get in that zone, stuff is easy.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:49 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
So, I am in the sample group - I am an intermediate driver getting quicker. I have had some wonderful volunteer instructors at PCA events and others. Let me share a few things from the student driver's perspective that I've learned during the last 4 years from zero track time to intermediate level driver. My experiences may be unique to me, so take that with a grain of salt.

1. I had to change a habit that was taught to me as a green student to get completely off the brakes whenever turning the wheel. I wish my instructor had said "since you are green, we are going to teach you a safe way to turn in. But it is not the fastest way. You will learn trail braking when you are more experienced". Instead I cheated and instinctively began to trail brake.

2. For me, I had trouble deciphering the difference between general wisdom and specific direction. "Get in a little tighter" - what exactly is he telling me to do? I worked with an instructor at Barber who was crazy clear and it made a huge difference. "I would like you to get 8" on the curb on Corner 10, and Corner and 6" on the curb on Corner 11". "And it matters a lot if you are a few inches off". Got it!

3. As a student you are taught the racing line. "This is where you want the car" is pounded into our head. Yet, when I watched videos of the fastest drivers, I see them running a slightly different line each lap. Now, as a faster driver I use the racing line as "base line" of where I will adjust from and to depending how far off ideal I am at any particular point in the process.

4. Eyes Up - I was real slow on truly understanding what this meant. Every instructor gave me this advice in general. But until recently, I really did not get how important it is. Today, I think it accounts for 90% of my attention behind the wheel. So, I have another 10% to go!!!
EXCELLENT post. All good points, especially the precision... I spend a lot of time at that level, or even greater detail.

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Vision is a big factor.
Like with action pistol shooting - you have to see everything, but look at nothing.

In other words, you see the track, your brake and turn markers, the traffic, the flag stands, etc. But you are not focusing on any one thing. Sort of a zen thing, but when you get in that zone, stuff is easy.
VERY good point, and the first good advice I remember getting. From Brian Redman, in those exact words. One of the prime “triggers” I use to bring myself back to best practices when I find my mind wandering in the car, on the track.

See everything, focus on nothing. Words to drive by.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:10 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
See everything, focus on nothing. Words to drive by.

Years ago I had a classroom instructor (the sainted Derek Hanson @ Mosport) mention "soft focus" in his teachings--indeed words to drive by......after all this time I'm inclined to believe it happens automatically at times like when I'm blasting into the entry of Mosport's T8 (as much "blasting" as can be had in a stock Mini, anyway ) with just the slightest and latest lift that my b.....ravery will allow; my focus goes into soft mode as I look through the turn and prepare for whatever adjustments my butt tells me I'll need to make to get through, if any. Plus, at times, as a function of throwing my low-hp car into the turn, I really just don't wanna know until I come through the other side, which may sound ridiculous but for me it does happen.....Bob Rouleau called it a "leap of faith" the time he sat (and suffered ) with me as we went through the T1,2 and 3 sequence at Le Circuit with full gas and no brakes until we reached the bottom of 2/entry of 3. Vision was very fuzzy at that point

Gary
Old 01-03-2018, 12:02 PM
CrookedCommie
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not exactly a mistake, but the thing that helped me gain the most time this year was getting on exit throttle earlier. I didn't figure it out until I had somebody in the car with me. Just that helped me drop nearly two seconds by the next track weekend.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CrookedCommie
Not exactly a mistake, but the thing that helped me gain the most time this year was getting on exit throttle earlier. I didn't figure it out until I had somebody in the car with me. Just that helped me drop nearly two seconds by the next track weekend.
And this is what people should work on BEFORE perfecting maximum braking.

Just a simple review of video counting off the delay between the point where engine revs STOP dropping to the point where you can hear them RISE again; “one-thousand, two-thousand, three-thousand...” can unearth and reveal LONG periods of DOING NOTHING!

I had a client move from the back of the middle third of a VERY competitive grid in a PCA race series FORWARD to podiums and a season ending overall win, JUST because the light went on at Watkins Glen and he fixed this...
Old 01-03-2018, 12:42 PM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good stuff guys, thanks
Old 01-03-2018, 01:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Dr Bill, excellent comparison to action pistol. Having done this in real life with life and death stakes, I can attest to the visual sponge technique
Old 01-03-2018, 01:54 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"[QUOTE=gbuff;14706787]Years ago I had a classroom instructor (the sainted Derek Hanson @ Mosport) mention "soft focus" in his teachings--indeed words to drive by......"

Gary, Cheers to Derek Hanson - the best!
as opposed to the "2 spin and you go home" rule, his schools encourage exploring/going over the limit
Old 01-03-2018, 03:20 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

An oddball one that was pointed out to me when I was a rookie... "Race to the Line" Most folks start to back off as soon as they see the checker, rather than pushing all the way to the line...
Old 01-03-2018, 03:40 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 260 Posts

[QUOTE=seanseidman;14707319]"
Originally Posted by gbuff
Years ago I had a classroom instructor (the sainted Derek Hanson @ Mosport) mention "soft focus" in his teachings--indeed words to drive by......"

Gary, Cheers to Derek Hanson - the best!
as opposed to the "2 spin and you go home" rule, his schools encourage exploring/going over the limit
Yeah! It's been a while and I hope he's well....I had a good relationship with him away from the classroom--we'd have coffee (and he'd have his Cohiba) between runs or at lunch and he'd ask me questions like "Are you scaring yourself yet?"

Gary
Old 01-03-2018, 03:57 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary, he's still involved with Trillium BMW CCA, and Hanson Driving School at Mosport DDT

Quick Reply: The biggest mistakes newer and intermediate drivers make.