Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight battery - (but sometimes mixed use)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 11:23 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lightweight battery - (but sometimes mixed use)

I got a gift cert for an Optima battery (Not Braille, not Deka, not any other brand) lol.

My 996 is primarily track use - meaning, I take it out on the street rarely, but it happens.

My question is this - can the lightweight Optima still power the car for 'normal' use? Meaning, can it run the stereo, lights, or AC? Obviously - these only run when the car is running (like sitting on grid at Sebring in the summer with the AC on).

Will it work, or a recipe for disaster? I'd love to shave some weight where I can.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:48 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a tiny Battery Tender battery in my 964. For the use you are describing, it was working fine.
At home, the car had to be plugged though. Otherwise, it would ruin out of juice quickly.
I hope it helps
Old 12-18-2017, 05:00 PM
Jferrante
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

The battery doesnt power these systems when the car is running, the alternator does. If you want to run the radio with the car off you may dip under the 12volt mark and have some trouble turning it over. AC doesnt work with car off so not an issue.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:08 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Jferrante
The battery doesnt power these systems when the car is running, the alternator does. If you want to run the radio with the car off you may dip under the 12volt mark and have some trouble turning it over. AC doesnt work with car off so not an issue.
Part true. when running, the battery doesnt matter much. The smaller odyssey batteries have very low internal resistance, so they run the radio, lights when the car is off, very easily. However, as you point to, not for very long. most batteries are 50+ amp /hours this means, if you have a 10 amp draw (like what you car uses just running the engine), it will be dead well before 5 hours. (the current draw does effect how fast the voltage falls and it falls pretty quickly when you reach about 75% of its capacity)
So the small Odyssey battery is 14 amp hour in capacity, so if you have some 500 watt stereo blasting full volume for 30min, you will kill your battery and not be able to start the car. however, if it just for track use or you could care less about powering stereos and lights with the engine not running, have fun. no downside.

Quick Reply: Lightweight battery - (but sometimes mixed use)