Sponsored by:

Want to be better? Get a coach.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 08:53 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Want to be better? Get a coach.

I dig Gawande`s stuff. Has written some thoughtful books and a few NYer pieces.

Get a coach.

https://www.ted.com/talks/atul_gawan...ng_get_a_coach

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2.../personal-best
Old 12-17-2017, 09:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,402 Likes on 748 Posts

Old 12-17-2017, 09:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Old 12-17-2017, 11:40 PM
jaundice
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So who is a good coach in the DFW area and where would we go to learn? Normally would do a private day at TWS, but that no longer exists. I can potentially do member days at Cresson. Over 7 years in HPDE and 2 years racing WRL. Want to get better and faster. Would have 2-3 guys all wanting coaching. I have AIM MXL Dash in racecar and AIM Solo DL for any other car. Let me know.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:47 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truth
Old 12-18-2017, 08:16 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by jaundice
So who is a good coach in the DFW area and where would we go to learn? Normally would do a private day at TWS, but that no longer exists. I can potentially do member days at Cresson. Over 7 years in HPDE and 2 years racing WRL. Want to get better and faster. Would have 2-3 guys all wanting coaching. I have AIM MXL Dash in racecar and AIM Solo DL for any other car. Let me know.
Do yourself a favor, do not share a coach for the day... Bite the bullet, have him to yourself.
JMHO from personal experience.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:26 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Jason Hart, Eric Foss, among others...
Old 12-18-2017, 08:33 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,402 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Jason Hart, Eric Foss, among others...
Yep. And I'm in Austin but am at MSR a lot too
Old 12-18-2017, 08:45 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by jaundice
Would have 2-3 guys all wanting coaching.
IMO, two is company, three is a crowd. I shared a coach with another guy during a full open track day and it worked out very well. We both got plenty of in-car coaching time as well as time to practice on our own and it was much more affordable. Split 3 ways, I don't think it would work nearly as well unless it was a two-day weekend and then you are taking chances twice on the weather working out.

-Mike
Old 12-18-2017, 09:08 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Do yourself a favor, do not share a coach for the day... Bite the bullet, have him to yourself.
JMHO from personal experience.
Originally Posted by TXE36
IMO, two is company, three is a crowd. I shared a coach with another guy during a full open track day and it worked out very well.
-Mike
All good advice.

A true professional coach, as opposed to a professional driver/coach, will always provide much more information and have many more drills than you can cover in a one or two day engagement, let alone split between multiple drivers. Ideally, you won’t just get coaching for that day, but instead be given information that you can chew on for many more events, if not for years.

Normally, it will take some time to evaluate where the client driver has opportunities for improvement, then to grade those, then to begin working through those. Having data is key to identify those areas, then measure if, in fact, there’s been improvement, however slight. Simple trends can help direct the course of study.

The point is, with a pro coach, you’ll either be in the car or in an intensive briefing before and after every in car session. There is never enough time to attend to all the work generated by a thorough evaluation, but with a more dedicated approach, both the pro coach and the client come away much more satisfied, especially the FIRST time.

Race weekends are a little different, just dollops, fine tuning and “big picture” information and optimization allow one pro coach to work well and efficiently with multiple drivers, in my experience.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:26 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

Pastor Maldonado always said he didn't need to use coaches.

Oh wait,....
Old 12-18-2017, 12:29 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
IMO, two is company, three is a crowd. I shared a coach with another guy during a full open track day and it worked out very well. We both got plenty of in-car coaching time as well as time to practice on our own and it was much more affordable. Split 3 ways, I don't think it would work nearly as well unless it was a two-day weekend and then you are taking chances twice on the weather working out.

-Mike
Coaching is the best money I have spent to improve performance - hands down.

I don't mind sharing a coach with one other person for the day. Going back and forth actually allows me to go out on track, by myself, and try to lock in what I am being taught.

I agree that threes a crowd!
Old 12-18-2017, 12:55 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Ideally, you won’t just get coaching for that day, but instead be given information that you can chew on for many more events, if not for years.
Um, that would be me. I was still working on some of that advice when TWS closed for good...years later...

-Mike
Old 12-18-2017, 06:22 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

I've never "hired" a coach direct but my PCA region did hire David Murray a few years ago at Road America to just "be available." You could essentially walk up to him, he'd review some video and offer advice. Guy spent an HOUR with me looking at ONE lap of video from my GoPro I had stuck to my windshield. I couldn't believe the info he was able to see and share.

Two good friends of mine (both of whom I respect tremendously from a driver's ability perspective) have hired Dan Clarke - and both of them have both (a) come out significantly faster and (b) had GLOWING reviews of him and what they learned.

Seems hiring a coach is probably one of the single BEST ways to spend your racecar budget dollars. Once I get my car sorted, get a successful event or two under its belt, I plan to utilize a pro coach myself.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:31 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

I found value from it - it trained me to alter mindset and add lots of focus on making the car faster

Quick Reply: Want to be better? Get a coach.