Want to be better? Get a coach.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 06:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
David Murry spent an HOUR with me looking at ONE lap of video from my GoPro I had stuck to my windshield. I couldn't believe the info he was able to see and share.

Two good friends of mine (both of whom I respect tremendously from a driver's ability perspective) have hired Dan Clarke - and both of them have both (a) come out significantly faster and (b) had GLOWING reviews of him and what they learned.
David and Speedy Dan are two of the best! The collective review is often worth the fee alone. That much more, when equipped to record intelligent video (video with metrics) and/or squiggly lines.

What is so valuable about both of them is that they are there for YOU! They're both very experienced in conveying information in such a way that it "takes," for most people. It's been fun working together with both of them.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-19-2017, 12:49 PM
RazzleDazzle
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 31 Posts

Hey guys, here is a good place to find vetted coaches in your area. I started this venture a few months back. I have a racing background (Ryan Dalziel) so I feel like I know what im doing haha. Peter Krause is also one of our great coaches on there. Please take a look and chat with as many coaches as you like. Interview them online etc, find the best fit for your needs and budget etc.
www.racecarcoaches.com

Full coaches list:
https://www.racecarcoaches.com/listings/
Old 12-19-2017, 12:50 PM
RazzleDazzle
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jaundice
So who is a good coach in the DFW area and where would we go to learn? Normally would do a private day at TWS, but that no longer exists. I can potentially do member days at Cresson. Over 7 years in HPDE and 2 years racing WRL. Want to get better and faster. Would have 2-3 guys all wanting coaching. I have AIM MXL Dash in racecar and AIM Solo DL for any other car. Let me know.
Here are some of our TX based coaches - https://www.racecarcoaches.com/listi...arch_keywords=
Old 12-19-2017, 12:54 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
David and Speedy Dan are two of the best! The collective review is often worth the fee alone. That much more, when equipped to record intelligent video (video with metrics) and/or squiggly lines.

What is so valuable about both of them is that they are there for YOU! They're both very experienced in conveying information in such a way that it "takes," for most people. It's been fun working together with both of them.
Yes - I now have an AiM SoloDL in the car. After talking to both buddies about their experiences with Dan, and how he spends so much time with them going over their *data*... I felt it was worth the investment in the Solo so I can get the most out of the time with Dan when I eventually DO hire him.

Originally Posted by RazzleDazzle
Hey guys, here is a good place to find vetted coaches in your area. I started this venture a few months back. I have a racing background (Ryan Dalziel) so I feel like I know what im doing haha. Peter Krause is also one of our great coaches on there. Please take a look and chat with as many coaches as you like. Interview them online etc, find the best fit for your needs and budget etc.
www.racecarcoaches.com

Full coaches list:
https://www.racecarcoaches.com/listings/
Awesome thanks will check it out
Old 12-19-2017, 01:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes - I now have an AiM SoloDL in the car. After talking to both buddies about their experiences with Dan, and how he spends so much time with them going over their *data*... I felt it was worth the investment in the Solo so I can get the most out of the time with Dan when I eventually DO hire him.

Awesome thanks will check it out
I've sold Dan and other professionals a variety of portable equipment at a favorable rates, just so that they can equip cars and drivers with this technology during their engagement, in case the client doesn't have something.

In every one of my engagements, I ADD at least ONE additional standalone system to what is already IN the car, simply to be able to dissect the collected observations and information from multiple perspectives and capabilities. Part of that is redundancy. If we don't get information from a system, we have nothing to talk about (since my approach does not include riding in the car or driving my client around), and the time is too valuable not to have backup.

Most professional coaches (especially those with a professional racing background) already KNOW what they're looking for and can easily assess and evaluate the areas for greatest potential for improvement objectively, rather than subjectively.

A few like Dan Clarke, Grant Maiman and Tom Long (among several others), REALLY make this the crux of guiding the work they do with their clients. It's good for the coach and especially for the client.

It's been fun seeing this progression, the integration of simple, powerful tools like the Solo DL and the Video VBOX products INTO coaching regimens allowing quicker, more effective (and without incurring substantially more risk) "guiding" of a client driver's progress by professional coaches. It wasn't common a decade and a half ago, or even a decade ago, but the packaging and ease-of-use has made a terrific difference in the acceptance of these tech tools.

You're going to have a great time with Dan... And yes, Ryan's methodology behind his site is terrific. It'll prove to be a great resource for folks looking.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:16 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Yeah I'm already sold on it being invaluable information. Now that my track car is OBD-II (previous car was from the 80s) it's much easier to incorporate data.

I've been trying to dig into data through the simulator (iRacing) and can't make heads/tails out of a lot of it... I did pick up the "Making Sense of Squiggly Lines" book... this winter I'm hoping to get a better understanding of the stuff so I can do some "self coaching"
Old 12-19-2017, 01:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yeah I'm already sold on it being invaluable information. Now that my track car is OBD-II (previous car was from the 80s) it's much easier to incorporate data.

I've been trying to dig into data through the simulator (iRacing) and can't make heads/tails out of a lot of it... I did pick up the "Making Sense of Squiggly Lines" book... this winter I'm hoping to get a better understanding of the stuff so I can do some "self coaching"
Personally, I think there is enough information provided standalone (without OBDII/CAN data) that you can get good direction, but even the addition of just RPM and throttle position can pay big dividends.

In iRacing, there are a few ways to export the information generated in a session to open in well-known (and more obscure) data analysis programs, such as MacLaren's ATLAS (which I find incomprehensible) and MoTeC's i2 Pro (which I find incredibly valuable).

Chris' book is really good, Bob Knox's Practical Data Analysis is also very good (and one you'll be able to refer back to for years). On the iRacing forums, look for the plug in "mu" which will allow for automatic export in MoTeC compatible .ld log files. There are some REALLY good beginner's guides to setting up Worksheets (User Profiles, or templates to display information in a simple, repeatable way) and USING the analysis to drive better.

ALL these systems measure the SAME things, so the WAY you look at the data and what you decide to work on next will be platforma and manufacturer independent. One is not "better" than another, it's just using it to look at a few simple things, examine and identify trends, and making a very simple and targeted plan for the next session. Then, measuring to see if you ACTUALLY did better. Or not.

When coaching remotely, I often lay over my own iRacing generated MoTeC files with actual, in-real-life client files in a similar car. And it's amazing...
Old 12-20-2017, 12:07 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Personally, I think there is enough information provided standalone (without OBDII/CAN data) that you can get good direction, but even the addition of just RPM and throttle position can pay big dividends.

In iRacing, there are a few ways to export the information generated in a session to open in well-known (and more obscure) data analysis programs, such as MacLaren's ATLAS (which I find incomprehensible) and MoTeC's i2 Pro (which I find incredibly valuable).

Chris' book is really good, Bob Knox's Practical Data Analysis is also very good (and one you'll be able to refer back to for years). On the iRacing forums, look for the plug in "mu" which will allow for automatic export in MoTeC compatible .ld log files. There are some REALLY good beginner's guides to setting up Worksheets (User Profiles, or templates to display information in a simple, repeatable way) and USING the analysis to drive better.

ALL these systems measure the SAME things, so the WAY you look at the data and what you decide to work on next will be platforma and manufacturer independent. One is not "better" than another, it's just using it to look at a few simple things, examine and identify trends, and making a very simple and targeted plan for the next session. Then, measuring to see if you ACTUALLY did better. Or not.

When coaching remotely, I often lay over my own iRacing generated MoTeC files with actual, in-real-life client files in a similar car. And it's amazing...
Yeah I struggled to get any real use out of ATLAS. Didn't know about i2 Pro. I'll have to look into that.

I've been playing around with the simplified data analysis tool under VirtualRaceSchool. If I'm just overlaying iRacing laps on top of one another it works really well. Helped me find a little over a second at Daytona earlier this week just comparing lines (their "reference" lap held MUCH tighter lines EVERYWHERE) and comparing braking/throttle traces.

Here's a screenshot of my lap in a GT3 Cup at Daytona Intl'l Horseshoe vs their reference. Red is me, blue is reference.

Quick Reply: Want to be better? Get a coach.