Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Season Fitness Goals. Do you have them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 08:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Cool article! Red Bull is at the forefront of human performance in all areas. Check on Andy Walshe - Red Bull Director of Human Performance.

I've been talking to a couple of people lately that have worked with F1 teams and drivers at a really high level. It's been interesting to hear what they say and the exercises. Formula Medicine has some great social media content out there. I wish I was going to be closer to them when I go to Italy this summer. It would be great to work with them a bit.
Check with Jim Leo in Indianapolis.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-10-2019, 09:08 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Check with Jim Leo in Indianapolis.
Do you know Jim? You've dropped his name a few times. I don't know him, but from watching his social media posts and buying one of their books, I would say Pit Fit is not at the same level as Formula Medicine or some others, though I could be wrong. There are certainly a number of drivers that go to Pit Fit and have successful careers. There are a number of great resources and trainers out there!
Old 03-10-2019, 09:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Do you know Jim? You've dropped his name a few times. I don't know him, but from watching his social media posts and buying one of their books, I would say Pit Fit is not at the same level as Formula Medicine or some others, though I could be wrong. There are certainly a number of drivers that go to Pit Fit and have successful careers. There are a number of great resources and trainers out there!
Jim's been doing this since LONG before it was "a thing," at least in this country. I've been to some of his talks at RRDC clinics and know that he has quite an IndyCar roster, as he is based in Indy. I have no reason to "grade" his efforts, but clearly, his program is effective.

His training programs for both older and younger drivers undergo constant evolution and he has integrated neurocognitive training into his organization's offerings.

Hinchcliffe, Dixon, Rossi, Power, Stenhouse Jr, Kahne, Kimball, Mann, Legge and others are all regulars there. You should dig a little deeper.

There are a whole bunch of folks around the Mooresville, NC area, too. Simon Hayes, Trey Shannon and others are great resources for fitness programs for drivers here in North America.

Formula Medicine and some of the UK operations have benefitted substantially from manufacturer young driver program support. They do a great job and are expanding the breadth of nutrition, fitness, injury prevention and cognitive/reaction evaluation and optimization as the demands get ever greater on top level professional drivers. I spoke at length to a driver, a rookie who finished in the top 10 at St. Pete today, about his experience over several years at Formula Medicine and it was remarkable, for sure.

There are many resources out there.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:06 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Jim's been doing this since LONG before it was "a thing," at least in this country. I've been to some of his talks at RRDC clinics and know that he has quite an IndyCar roster, as he is based in Indy. I have no reason to "grade" his efforts, but clearly, his program is effective.

His training programs for both older and younger drivers undergo constant evolution and he has integrated neurocognitive training into his organization's offerings.

Hinchcliffe, Dixon, Rossi, Power, Stenhouse Jr, Kahne, Kimball, Mann, Legge and others are all regulars there. You should dig a little deeper.

There are a whole bunch of folks around the Mooresville, NC area, too. Simon Hayes, Trey Shannon and others are great resources for fitness programs for drivers here in North America.

Formula Medicine and some of the UK operations have benefitted substantially from manufacturer young driver program support. They do a great job and are expanding the breadth of nutrition, fitness, injury prevention and cognitive/reaction evaluation and optimization as the demands get ever greater on top level professional drivers. I spoke at length to a driver, a rookie who finished in the top 10 at St. Pete today, about his experience over several years at Formula Medicine and it was remarkable, for sure.

There are many resources out there.
I think that's a no?

There are a ton of really good people out there and an ever growing body of work on human performance when under physical and mental stress. It's probably no surprise that the US Military is a leader in the field. There are also a number of Phd's at a few Universities who have narrowed their focus down from general athletics to drivers and motorsports. It's all really interesting stuff.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You've sure got me beat at dropping names. Yes, I have spoken with him a few times. Even bought an online program many years ago. He's a good guy.

Many years ago, there was the Human Performance Institute near Charlotte. I bought a head and neck elastic training device and a floppy with exercises and cognitive tests on it. They're gone now, but that was the first place I'd ever seen that focused on DRIVER human performance optimization. Must have been around 1998-1999.

Terry Trammell has done a lot to help elevate training regimens so that rehabilitation from racing injuries is far more effective now.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:24 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,001 Posts

I'm just bummed this thread has been kiborted when it was going so good. It's been cool to see people's success and methods. The various arguments.......not so much.
Matt, this is NOT a good thread.
This is a great thread. Don’t let the off topic crap bug you. You know better.
Although not really contributing, I have learned a ton following this thread.
Not only that, the next time you see me, I’ll be 30-40 lbs lighter, if not more, maybe a lot more, than the last time you saw me.
I took that carbohydrate conversation we had last season to heart. The pounds are melting off, and all because of the advice you gave me concerning diet, carbs, sugars, and activity.
This is a great thread. Keep it going.
Kiborted...love it!!
Old 03-10-2019, 10:30 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dgrobs

Matt, this is NOT a good thread.
This is a great thread. Don’t let the off topic crap bug you. You know better.
Although not really contributing, I have learned a ton following this thread.
Not only that, the next time you see me, I’ll be 30-40 lbs lighter, if not more, maybe a lot more, than the last time you saw me.
I took that carbohydrate conversation we had last season to heart. The pounds are melting off, and all because of the advice you gave me concerning diet, carbs, sugars, and activity.
This is a great thread. Keep it going.
Kiborted...love it!!
Awesome! For the number of days you are doing (plus being DE Champion East of the Mississippi) you've got to be in great shape!

One cool thing that came out in a FB thread that Wanna911 posted about was how he didn't think driving was a strenuous activity because of his fitness level. I've seen a photo of him and I bet he's right - the dude is jacked! I also think his comment is really spot on - if you are a physical condition where driving isn't (very) taxing anymore, you can mentally perform at your best.

dgrobs - you'll notice in the car, but I bet skiing is even better, right? Though you probably needed new gear!
Old 03-10-2019, 11:03 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Awesome! For the number of days you are doing (plus being DE Champion East of the Mississippi) you've got to be in great shape!

One cool thing that came out in a FB thread that Wanna911 posted about was how he didn't think driving was a strenuous activity because of his fitness level. I've seen a photo of him and I bet he's right - the dude is jacked! I also think his comment is really spot on - if you are a physical condition where driving isn't (very) taxing anymore, you can mentally perform at your best.

dgrobs - you'll notice in the car, but I bet skiing is even better, right? Though you probably needed new gear!
Driving yes. Skiing absolutely. It’s amazing. Your weight loss was my inspiration.

Last edited by dgrobs; 03-11-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:01 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me clarify because I actually think I drove better when I was skinnier. Lol. Bigger muscles don't really make any small pinpoint movements easier, they make them all harder (think boxing) . You'd rather be very lean but not too big. I used to train only outdoor boot camps as fitness, 4-5 classes a day lots of running and calosthenics with maximum of 15 to 20 lb dumbells and I was 215 lbs. I think that 10-12 lbs less muscle was better in the driver's seat for me. That being said my type of training is 70 percent muscle endurance. So my muscles are accustomed to high loads for repetitive sets under duress. I will connect a HRM in a couple weeks at Road Atlanta. It will only be DE, but curiosity has gotten the best of me.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:18 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Maybe you haven't gotten this far into your studies but your body makes its own cholesterol, even if you don't eat much of it. You eat less, you body creates more on its own. And dietary cholesterol is not directly related to blood cholesterol as only about 20% come from food. Isn't that the primary argument for meat only diets anyways? That eating all that cholesterol won't cause poor syrum levels?
Maybe you haven't caught up with your studies. Blood cholesterol levels (including and especially LDL) are INVERSELY correlated with all cause mortality, CVD's, and mental illness with no upper bound for cholesterol levels (the higher, the better).

Cholesterol is fat and not all fats are the same. Vegetable/seed (processed) oils are inflammatory and the causes of all sorts of chronic diseases. There are essential fats (fatty acids) and proteins that your body does not create and can only be found in animal fats/proteins. Diets that are deficient in these fats/proteins expose you to innumerable chronic diseases, including mental illnesses as you get older (dementia, Alzheimers, depression, anxiety, violent behavior, etc.). The odds are high for a connection between the epidemic of CVD related chronic diseases (metabolic syndrome, diabetes) and mental problems (ADHD, depression, dementia, Alzheimers, etc.) on one side and the "low animal/saturated fat" dietary guidelines and cholesterol-lowering drug (statin) usage over the past 50 years, on the other.

As the OP seems to not welcome my dietary/exercise inputs/experiences in his thread, I'll bow myself out. Anyone interested for more info feel free to PM me.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:43 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hf1
As the OP seems to not welcome my dietary/exercise inputs/experiences in his thread, I'll bow myself out. Anyone interested for more info feel free to PM me.
I think the alternative viewpoint and experience is great, but the ardent arguing (Pot meet kettle....) gets old. I'm sure there are studies that show what you are doing is the right way, there are studies that show the opposite as well. The more I've learned and experienced about teaching people in academic settings, race cars, in sports, and now about nutrition and fitness, it's not a one size fits all approach.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

There are certainly a number of drivers that go to Pit Fit and have successful careers.
From St. Pete...

Old 03-12-2019, 02:38 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I think Tony's comments are perfect for this thread! His fitness goals and accomplishments let him work through a tough day in the car. Spencer Pumpelly posted similar about the gym he goes to in Atlanta. I know my improved fitness has made driving in the car much easier. Heck, I had a run on the treadmill this morning that was faster/longer than I ever thought I could! I think this turns into a journey for most folks, but a really fun one with great results!

Last edited by Matt Romanowski; 03-12-2019 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Move photo
Old 03-12-2019, 06:05 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I think Tony's comments are perfect for this thread! His fitness goals and accomplishments let him work through a tough day in the car. Spencer Pumpelly posted similar about the gym he goes to in Atlanta. I know my improved fitness has made driving in the car much easier. Heck, I had a run on the treadmill this morning that was faster/longer than I ever thought I could! I think this turns into a journey for most folks, but a really fun one with great results!

Wow, you have to be pretty fit to sustain that heart rate.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:40 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Wow, you have to be pretty fit to sustain that heart rate.
Spencer is a fit guy and a vegan. He just did some 5k.run in his underwear for a charity. It was ok since he was with 1,000s of other folks in there underwear. Otherwise I think you get in trouble running in the streets in your underwear. So I hear.

Quick Reply: Off Season Fitness Goals. Do you have them?