Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Season Fitness Goals. Do you have them?

Old 11-27-2018, 04:56 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Almost a year later - how's everyone doing? I'm at around 194 lbs and staying strong. I could definitely tell the difference driving this year, though I noticed the most when water skiing!

My off season will be more of the same - good, clean eating, watching calories, and working out. Did a killer core workout this morning. I'll never look at dead bugs the same again! Like this but doing the alternate arm movement at the same time
Old 11-27-2018, 05:12 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Matt - your post is very inspirational! I am trying to mimic your success.

This coming August I will turn 50 (God willing!) On my last birthday I created a chart out of posterboard and hung it in my workout room where I chart my weight each week for the next 52 weeks. My goal is to lose 40 pounds by August 2019. Since my birthday, three and a half months ago, I am down about 15 pounds.

For the first time in my life I have started working out with weights and averaging about 3 - 5 hours a week. I took six inches off my waist but I think my weight is not going down as rapidly because I am building muscle. My overall weekly goal is a minimum of seven hours of exercise and the "reach" is ten hours. I keep a separate chart on a clipboard where I log my exercise in 30 minute increments. My exercise consists of treadmill, elliptical, rowing machine, exercise bike, hiking and strength training.

Trying to stick to a paleo type diet but mainly I am trying to cut out bread. Late night snacking is the killer. When people ask me am I a salt or sweet person I answer "yes". I love food.

Basically, I am trying to get down from fat f*&k to something more healthy and we will see where it goes from there. My goal is to be 25 pounds down, and hopefully need to buy a new race suit, by Sebring this February!

I post this here as a challenge to myself because if I am not down 40 pounds by next August you will know I failed and I don't like to fail.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:46 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

This coming August I will turn 50 (God willing!) On my last birthday I created a chart out of posterboard and hung it in my workout room where I chart my weight each week for the next 52 weeks. My goal is to lose 40 pounds by August 2019. Since my birthday, three and a half months ago, I am down about 15 pounds.

For the first time in my life I have started working out with weights and averaging about 3 - 5 hours a week. I took six inches off my waist but I think my weight is not going down as rapidly because I am building muscle. My overall weekly goal is a minimum of seven hours of exercise and the "reach" is ten hours. I keep a separate chart on a clipboard where I log my exercise in 30 minute increments. My exercise consists of treadmill, elliptical, rowing machine, exercise bike, hiking and strength training.

Trying to stick to a paleo type diet but mainly I am trying to cut out bread. Late night snacking is the killer. When people ask me am I a salt or sweet person I answer "yes". I love food.

Basically, I am trying to get down from fat f*&k to something more healthy and we will see where it goes from there. My goal is to be 25 pounds down, and hopefully need to buy a new race suit, by Sebring this February!

I post this here as a challenge to myself because if I am not down 40 pounds by next August you will know I failed and I don't like to fail.
You're doing awesome! I'm 10 years behind you to the month! I really liked when I got a smart scale (Withings). It was nice to have it give me body fat and muscle percentages. As a data guy, it kept me from wondering what was going on. Also, as you lose fat, the fat cells fill up with water before shrinking, so you will see these 2-4 week plateaus that get really frustrating! Just keep the course. It took years to put the weight on, so a year to lose it is really good.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:42 PM
anthony42hat
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Focus less on the weight loss and more on inches lost and gained, especially if lifting a lot. It's interesting, I am 6' and weigh around 205. I can drop to 195# and be in terrible shape or I can go up to 210# and be in great shape...muscle is heavier than fat! I find the mirror never lies but the scales sometimes do.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:36 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I turn 40 next August, I did a 7 week challenge with some of my clients that ended last Saturday. Lost 9 lbs and got down to ~7% body fat using intermittent fasting while eating boars head sandwiches on honeywheat for lunch daily. Did a photoshoot then promptly went home and gained 10 lbs over Thanksgiving weekend. Lol. I spend all year cutting back. From Thanksgiving to new years I eat what I want. Ill lean up again before spring.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:24 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I went from 234 to 212 which was fine but it was only about half of my goal. More importantly it still left me 20-25 lbs over minimum weight for the kart racing which meant i was fighting mid pack not at the front of the pack where I wanted to be.

I bought a 2018 chassis at the end of the season that was 8 lbs lighter than my old chassis and got me closer to the goal but my personal weight goal still remains 195lbs and if I can get to the point where I need to add weight to the kart this year to make weight I'll be a happy camper.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:46 AM
TFBoxster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good posts guys. Always nice to have something to work on over the winter.

I've trained and played different sports for as long as I can remember so my goals are more flexibility, stability and motor control related. Along with an improvement in some endurance areas.

Although wanna911 has put me to shame! Out of interest, what's your height and weight?

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
You're doing awesome! I'm 10 years behind you to the month! I really liked when I got a smart scale (Withings). It was nice to have it give me body fat and muscle percentages. As a data guy, it kept me from wondering what was going on. Also, as you lose fat, the fat cells fill up with water before shrinking, so you will see these 2-4 week plateaus that get really frustrating! Just keep the course. It took years to put the weight on, so a year to lose it is really good.
You're probably aware Matt, but you need to take these machines with a big pinch of salt. The only way to truly measure bodyfat is with a Dexa scanner or skin fold calipers.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:47 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
I turn 40 next August, I did a 7 week challenge with some of my clients that ended last Saturday. Lost 9 lbs and got down to ~7% body fat using intermittent fasting while eating boars head sandwiches on honeywheat for lunch daily. Did a photoshoot then promptly went home and gained 10 lbs over Thanksgiving weekend. Lol. I spend all year cutting back. From Thanksgiving to new years I eat what I want. Ill lean up again before spring.
I’m in reasonable shape for 48, but compared to you I look like this

Old 11-28-2018, 11:00 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Dude, you're ripped! 7% body fat is really good. Do you expect to be able to stay at a level like that?

Originally Posted by TFBoxster
You're probably aware Matt, but you need to take these machines with a big pinch of salt. The only way to truly measure bodyfat is with a Dexa scanner or skin fold calipers.
I know it's not super accurate, but it seems repeatable and I like the tracking of my weight the most. The least accurate I've used is the InBody system - they seem to read "optimistically low."
Old 11-28-2018, 02:49 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TFBoxster
Good posts guys. Always nice to have something to work on over the winter.

I've trained and played different sports for as long as I can remember so my goals are more flexibility, stability and motor control related. Along with an improvement in some endurance areas.

Although wanna911 has put me to shame! Out of interest, what's your height and weight?

6'2

I use an ultrasound wand connected to my computer that's calibrated for testing body fat. I usually back it up with a dexa scan but was too lazy to drive across town this time. My ultrasound tester is just like calipers but uses the ultrasound rays because it's more repeatable and not so user dependent. Its always within 1-1.5 percent of my dexa scans. I have some older dexas in the 7-8% range. Difference being that I use my best side for my tester and the dexa tests both sides. I have some old sports injuries that prevent proper muscle development in my right leg.

Originally Posted by 38D

I’m in reasonable shape for 48, but compared to you I look like this

It's my profession now, 2nd career so to speak. I spent my entire life in athletics so now I get to channel that energy into training people, many of which I work out with.

Dude, you're ripped! 7% body fat is really good. Do you expect to be able to stay at a level like that?

I know it's not super accurate, but it seems repeatable and I like the tracking of my weight the most. The least accurate I've used is the InBody system - they seem to read "optimistically low."
I reach this level probably 2 months out of the year. Most times I'm 8-10%. That is sustainable as I keep my workouts high intensity but very moderate to low impact. Lots of cardio because I'm a bigger guy, but I'm a mesomorph so I build and retain muscle easily. I'm regularly a sub 6 minute miler even at 230lbs Keeping a good cardio base is key to keeping fat down. I train like an athlete. Run Fast and lift moderately heavy but I stay in my lane, don't do maxes. Probably 60-70 percent of max tops. Lots of reps, very little rest. I also change up my workouts ALL the time so I don't get overuse injuries. I train clients in their upper 50's and mid 60's. Pretty much the same workout program, weight adjusted. I train for longevity, don't do exercise that cause injuries like heavy bench, squats, deadlifts, weighted Dips etc. No ego lifts at all. Lots of compound movements though. But I attribute my low body fat to superior genetics, a good but not muscle killing cardio base and a strong work ethic. If that makes sense.

​​​​​

Last edited by wanna911; 11-28-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:57 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,576 Posts

I have the fitbit scale which logs everything. Yes, data is really helps with this stuff and keeps you from fooling yourself!

Originally Posted by anthony42hat
Focus less on the weight loss and more on inches lost and gained, especially if lifting a lot. It's interesting, I am 6' and weigh around 205. I can drop to 195# and be in terrible shape or I can go up to 210# and be in great shape...muscle is heavier than fat! I find the mirror never lies but the scales sometimes do.
I'm actually focusing more on lifting and making cardio a very close second. I still have a long way to go but I already feel more healthy in the last few months than I have in about 20 years.

Dude! My goal is probably to get down to what you would look like if you let yourself go!
Old 11-28-2018, 03:35 PM
TFBoxster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's my profession now, 2nd career so to speak. I spent my entire life in athletics so now I get to channel that energy into training people, many of which I work out with.

I reach this level probably 2 months out of the year. Most times I'm 8-10%. That is sustainable as I keep my workouts high intensity but very moderate to low impact. Lots of cardio because I'm a bigger guy, but I'm a mesomorph so I build and retain muscle easily. I'm regularly a sub 6 minute miler even at 230lbs Keeping a good cardio base is key to keeping fat down. I train like an athlete. Run Fast and lift moderately heavy but I stay in my lane, don't do maxes. Probably 60-70 percent of max tops. Lots of reps, very little rest. I also change up my workouts ALL the time so I don't get overuse injuries. I train clients in their upper 50's and mid 60's. Pretty much the same workout program, weight adjusted. I train for longevity, don't do exercise that cause injuries like heavy bench, squats, deadlifts, weighted Dips etc. No ego lifts at all. Lots of compound movements though. But I attribute my low body fat to superior genetics, a good but not muscle killing cardio base and a strong work ethic. If that makes sense.

​​​​​
I've heard of the ultra sound wand but never seen it. Interesting to see how close it is to the Dexa.

I really enjoy Oly lifts but have moved away from them due to chance of injury and it affecting my season. They did highlight some imbalances/lack of flexibility though which has been useful.

You beat me on the BMI, I'm only 25.4
Old 11-28-2018, 05:56 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

Great job Todd.
When you get to your goal weight, have a poured bead seat made for your car. When you start gaining weight the seat becomes so uncomfortable that you get yourself back in line.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Coochas
Great job Todd.
When you get to your goal weight, have a poured bead seat made for your car. When you start gaining weight the seat becomes so uncomfortable that you get yourself back in line.
And buy a expensive, custom race suit that doesn't have extra room.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:26 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

And buy a expensive, custom race suit that doesn't have extra room.
I had to buy a custom suit because of the size of my ego. LOL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Off Season Fitness Goals. Do you have them?