Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Season Fitness Goals. Do you have them?

Old 12-16-2017, 04:32 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
One things I would point out is I would not suggest a Fitbit as a workout heart rate monitor. It's fine for daily activity and general wear, but it's not accurate when working out. My Charge 2 HR was off about 30 bpm when I was working out at 160 bpm (it showed 130). It is nice to have as a general view of your daily movement, activity, and sleep patterns.

Does anyone have a monitor they really like?
I'm a PT so yeah, fitness all day. My goal is to reach less than 5% body fat for the first time since my 20's.

If you are getting your HR from a watch on your wrist, they are pretty much good for only running (if that). All of them. There are optical (blood flow) sensors that are a bit more accurate but still off. The technolog uses blood volume, which doesn't change as fast as chest based HR based on impulse signals from the heart (more like ekg). Fitbit is not for serious exercise. For that, Garmin, Polar, TomTom are name brands that are easy to find. Some watches like most Fitbits don't have internal GPS or ability to connect to a chest based HRM (heart rate monitor) so do your homework. Smart watches are not great either. Too much charging. Garmins usually last 5-7 days. Smart watches you are lucky to get a day or 2 tops. Fitbit has great software for keeping track of your food intake, weight etc. But all of that can be synced to Garmin seemlessly.

Things you want for sure in a watch:
- Ability tonconect to external sensors (Heart rate, foot pod)
- good battery life
- good mobile softare
- good support and online presence
Old 12-16-2017, 04:57 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

There is no off season for me. 12 months a year. Gym every morning at 6am. Watch my sugar intake. Try to limit alcohol to weekends.
Its not easy. Weight creeps up when you get injured or miss the gym for a few days.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:10 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
My goal is to reach less than 5% body fat for the first time since my 20's.
Is this healthy to maintain for longer periods of time? The body still needs some stores of fat to use/burn in fat-burning (zero-carb) mode. Lacking that it resorts to eating itself (muscle), no?
Old 12-16-2017, 05:13 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nobody writes about working on flexibility? Reaction exercises? Core work is important. Patience needs to be worked on.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Is this healthy to maintain for longer periods of time? The body still needs some stores of fat to use/burn in fat-burning (zero-carb) mode. Lacking that it resorts to eating itself (muscle), no?
I think Dez White was saying he was looking for 7-10% I may be off base there...

Of course, I have MANY months to go before I can even think of that.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 12-16-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
Nobody writes about working on flexibility? Reaction exercises? Core work is important. Patience needs to be worked on.
That's where I am now. Just moving and focusing on making it easier to move. I don't want to injure myself. Yoga, Pilates, FitLight or tWall.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:34 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Patience needs to be worked on.
Hmmm, that sounds more like career advice...
Old 12-16-2017, 05:45 PM
hf1
Banned

Meditation 20min (or 5, 10 or 30) every morning . Nothing complicated, no religious mumbo-jumbo necessary, just keep at it. Highly recommended.
https://www.consciouslifestylemag.co...omplete-guide/

At about stage 8, conquering the "monkey mind" starts spilling outside of the sessions and into daily life.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:48 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I enjoy lifting quite a bit and am in the gym hitting the weights regularly but I Never really cared much what I weighed when driving 3k+ cars, Started racing karts last year and need to drop about 40 to be ideal class weight. Realistic goal is to get 30 of that by May. Karting has been the most eye opening "you are fat and out of shape" experience ever and it's come at a good time for me.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:51 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Not a fitness expert but visited the Porsche human performance center in Atlanta a couple of years ago. In my assessment I picked up a body fat chart. It was interesting that ideal for a 20 YO is about 10% and for 56 and up it is about 22%. I asked them why that was the case and was told it is actuarial based. There is a greater chance of death for those over 56 with very low body fat. Said it was related to the immune system. Not sure if that's right but I felt better about being 20%!

Core/ lower back is a focus for me, together with cardio (stationary bike) and weights.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:59 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Dropped 12 pounds this year. Goal is 10 more by the Battery Tender MX-5 training camp in March. Low carb diet.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:09 PM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by mglobe
Battery Tender MX-5 training camp in March.
Link?
Old 12-16-2017, 06:19 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,226 Likes on 1,573 Posts

Between the annual physical requirement, and just wanted to fit in my race suit, PCA is responsible for me caring at least a little about my health.

Usually a few months before race season starts I start building cardio and watching what I eat and drop a few pounds.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,397 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
I'm a PT so yeah, fitness all day. My goal is to reach less than 5% body fat for the first time since my 20's.

If you are getting your HR from a watch on your wrist, they are pretty much good for only running (if that). All of them. There are optical (blood flow) sensors that are a bit more accurate but still off. The technolog uses blood volume, which doesn't change as fast as chest based HR based on impulse signals from the heart (more like ekg). Fitbit is not for serious exercise. For that, Garmin, Polar, TomTom are name brands that are easy to find. Some watches like most Fitbits don't have internal GPS or ability to connect to a chest based HRM (heart rate monitor) so do your homework. Smart watches are not great either. Too much charging. Garmins usually last 5-7 days. Smart watches you are lucky to get a day or 2 tops. Fitbit has great software for keeping track of your food intake, weight etc. But all of that can be synced to Garmin seemlessly.

Things you want for sure in a watch:
- Ability tonconect to external sensors (Heart rate, foot pod)
- good battery life
- good mobile softare
- good support and online presence
I'm at 7% and have been for years. Pretty happy with that...
Old 12-16-2017, 08:19 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Link?
actually I think the correct name is Spring Training. It’s a test weekend they have at Barber before the season starts. It’s not been officially published yet. I’m going to run a limited schedule. My SO’s idea.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Off Season Fitness Goals. Do you have them?