Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Season Fitness Goals. Do you have them?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 10:33 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hire a trainer to give you motivation
Old 01-04-2018, 09:51 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28

Hire a trainer to give you motivation
No camel toe? This is PG-13.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:05 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

I do not want to get a vacation. But it makes the point one way of gaurenteeing results is hiring a coach.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:18 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
Interesting thread and want to add my 2 cents. As an avid weight trainer with a relatively strict diet I believe your overall quest for fitness is a lifestyle decision that doesn't need to be complicated or include much deprivation. Commit to 4-5 workouts per week, after workout stretching and make sure you fuel your body with healthy food. Don't focus on the scale, focus on the mirror and overall fitness measurements; resting heart rate, BP, percent body fat. It's truly a consistency thing rather than the typical off and on approach that so many fall victim to. This approach may not peel seconds off your lap times but will at least provide the foundation to maintain pace for a full race.
I'll add Bikram Hot Yoga to the mix, just did a 1 hour class in 108 degree temp. It felt the same as being in the cockpit at the end of 30 minute sprint on a hot and humid summer day. Good test of your overall flexibility and balance.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:12 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No specific goals per se but I do try to start the year off with a cool blast:

1. Dry January
2. Pescetarian month
3. Daily yoga
4. Daily HIIT

All downhill after that.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:38 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You know me Matt, I have no goals, except to gain a little lean muscle.. I do this on Mtn Bike and with chain saws, log splitter/maul.
I was told to stop all carb intake, for diabetes management .
It is like a drug I can't stop, worse than booze and butts..
Old 01-06-2018, 07:23 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

1) Move to Buffalo
2) Buy a snow shovel
3) Use it constantly
I've already lost all the weight I put on over the holidays

Gary
Old 01-07-2018, 07:37 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968

I'll add Bikram Hot Yoga to the mix, just did a 1 hour class in 108 degree temp. It felt the same as being in the cockpit at the end of 30 minute sprint on a hot and humid summer day. Good test of your overall flexibility and balance.
hot yoga is awesome. Especially right before or after weight training.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:30 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Yoga only works if you do it with a room of hot women.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:23 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 524 Likes on 280 Posts

Last January started a carb free diet and started at least walking more. Proteins only for a few days, mix in veggies, no alcohol ....but with a catch: all bets are off Friday night through Sunday. Sure it’s cheating, but hey, we love good beer, good wine, and bar food. forget “carb addiction” or whatever, we LIKE nachos, pizza, fries, etc. Our “break” is hanging at our favorite bar(s) and/or restaurants. Is what it is and it ain’t gonna change...you only live once..

So I dropped nearly 20 lbs in a few months, BP went down. Felt great, and pretty much maintained it all year (though thanksgiving to New Years just killed that!,). Didn’t stay strict to the diet, just kept carbs (and alcohol) in more moderation and chose healthy meals more often than not....still did wings, pasta, pizza, etc on occasion but not as much as before. (I type this as I’m having a salami and provolone sandwich on Italian bread for lunch....oops...��)

one of the big changes was paying more attention to ingredients for what we make at home....more “fresh”, less packaged/processed. I do most of the cooking (I love to cook) so it’s been fun trying new stuff.

for 2018, we need to do more excercise...we do very little because we both hate it....I just can’t motivate myself to excercise for the sake of excercise...I need an activity, but now so busy with trying to build up NaroEscape Motorsports business, building a new house, PCA and SCCA volunteer activities, etc.... (yeah I know, excuses). But that’s our target for 2018...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 01-09-2018, 05:11 PM
djm68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I've generally stayed reasonably fit through most of my life, but as I approach 50 (just turn 49 in Dec), I found I had put on a bit of fat and lost lean muscle mass. About 9 months ago, I started a fairly serious weight lifting regime; after the 6 months I had lost 13 lbs and put on a significant about of lean muscle. Rather surprised I had that much fat to lose, quite honestly as most people think I am pretty skinny. Due to work, travel, moving, job change, and a shoulder injury (unrelated to lifting), I've lost a bit of muscle and core strength. so I will focus on rebuilding the core, re-gaining some muscle, and taking care not to injure my shoulder. My goal is lifting 4x/week for 45 mins and 2x week cardio.

Diet plays a big role too. For me, this year, it is reeling in the boozing -- my only real 'vice' as eat a very 'healthy' diet. My idea of healthy being modest amount of very high quality, unrefined carbs, no refined sugars as all, green veggies, high quality proteins from chicken, fish, beef, cheese. I do not calorie count or obsess over fat content but rather focus on the quality of the food and avoid prepared foods.

Cheers,
DJM
Old 01-10-2018, 10:20 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Matt, thanks for starting this thread.

Maintaining a food log and going to the gym every day, or nearly every day <grin>, has yielded a relatively linear loss of 7 lbs in 21 days. Nothing fancy, just discipline and a supportive (and fit) lady.

Thanks again!
Old 01-10-2018, 10:30 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Matt, thanks for starting this thread.

Maintaining a food log and going to the gym every day, or nearly every day <grin>, has yielded a relatively linear loss of 7 lbs in 21 days. Nothing fancy, just discipline and a supportive (and fit) lady.

Thanks again!
Awesome! It can be tough keeping the routine, but it sounds like you have an awesome start. I'm typing this from the treadmill!
Old 01-10-2018, 11:05 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

This guy's approach to exercise and diet is close to mine (except I don't do any supplements) -- with similar results. Good to follow on twitter:

http://roguehealthandfitness.com/build-muscle-age/

Once you learn your body you can improvise and vary strength/resistance training with all sorts of methods. Recently I've even stopped going to the gym and am experimenting with just 8-10 various bodyweight sets (5-10 mins total) before (ice-cold) shower every day. Easy, peasy. Couldn't do a single pistol (one-leg) squat after years doing leg-presses in the gym. After a month of practice at home, I can now do a set of six before failure. Also pick up and do a set with a random rock while walking the dogs or hiking.

Btw, basic old russian special forces strength training methods are: pistol squats and one-arm-one-leg push-ups. One set of each, to failure, gives you a full body strength workout in under a minute.

Whatever it is, I don't spend more than 1hr a week on exercise. Oftentimes, the simplest is also the most effective.
That said, no amount of exercise can fix (compensate for) a bad (carb-loaded) diet. Calories don't matter -- carbs do,
Old 01-10-2018, 12:13 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
...... a supportive (and fit) lady.

Just might be the biggest incentive of all, Peter!!

Gary

Quick Reply: Off Season Fitness Goals. Do you have them?