Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Season Fitness Goals. Do you have them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 03:21 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweeper
Good results, congrats..
were these shifter carts? How much do you weigh?
100cc 2-stroke, air cooled, single speed karts. These karts have the biggest fields here in the midwest.

our class runs at 365lbs combined driver and kart. I'm just under 200lbs myself.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:26 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Now that folks in the NE have had a few races, how are people doing? Have you achieved your goals? Did it help you in the car?
Old 06-03-2019, 04:48 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Inability to exercise is the ultimate test of your eating habits. That being said, I've trained people well into their 50's and even into 60's with multiple ACL reconstructions, torn rotator cuffs, torn biceps, hip bruises with arthritis etc etc to better than pre-incident condition in strength and stamina. One of my best clients is 66 years old, and has endured a high ankle sprain that kept him out for 6 months and a fall on ice that bruised his hip and kept him out for 6 months. He's 6'2 207 and runs 23-25 minute 5k's, and rows 2k in 7 minutes and change. He's also an executive that travels half the year. Another client is a woman who's 59 this year, she previously worked out with a trainer that had her flat benching 40 lb dumbells which torn her bicep and rotator cuff and gave her frozen shoulder. It took a year to rehab and gain mobility back in that shoulder but her bicep puts lots of dudes to shame. She's also had 2 acl surgeries among many other issues (and lost 75 lbs). Now she's mid-high 20's body fat and going strong. If you want it bad enough, and have some good guidance, you can make it happen. Stay in your lane, do what you can until you can do more. It takes longer to heal, but don't give up, you can and will heal, and if you can find ANYTHING that you can do without pain, do that. Recumbent bike, maybe swimming, floor core exercises that are non weight bearing etc. Just do that to keep your mind in it. You are likely going to need PT anyways. Strength always helps recovery.
You got that right! I exercise because of my bad eating habits, and when I finally start looking at what I am eating, and exercise, that is when I make the best pushes forward.

Trying to work back into a routine without making my injuries worse currently.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:58 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Now that folks in the NE have had a few races, how are people doing? Have you achieved your goals? Did it help you in the car?
YES,

Aerobics dance for 30 minutes and 15 to 30 minutes of strength training with free weights and bands 3 times per week. I am 78 going to 79 in December 2019. No problem getting into the 944 with a 6'5" frame.
Bring it on.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

As we approach the end up summer 2019, how are people doing? My core strength and aerobic fitness are up. It makes driving much easier and less demanding.

How's everyone doing?
Old 08-19-2019, 12:55 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

As we approach the end up summer 2019, how are people doing? My core strength and aerobic fitness are up. It makes driving much easier and less demanding.

How's everyone doing?
Keeping the carbs and sugars to a minimum.
You saw the results at The Glen a couple weeks ago.
This "people" is doing fine. Thanks....
Old 08-19-2019, 01:19 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Keeping the carbs and sugars to a minimum.
You saw the results at The Glen a couple weeks ago.
This "people" is doing fine. Thanks....
You are doing awesome! Looked great (not in that way) and I'm sure you can tell the difference driving. Imagine what the old dgrobs would have been like in the Miata!
Old 08-19-2019, 01:27 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

You are doing awesome! Looked great (not in that way) and I'm sure you can tell the difference driving. Imagine what the old dgrobs would have been like in the Miata!
The old Dgrobs wouldn't have fit into the Miata.
Not a chance.
I had to be a contortionist just to get in and out of the thing as is, and that's with being 75 lbs less.
The old Dgrobs would have been in traction.
I was actually really psyched to see you at The Glen and get your feedback on my progress since you had so much to do with it to begin with.
Yes, the difference in driving is insane..no question.
Thanks again...
Old 08-19-2019, 01:46 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I survived the enduro at NJMP and was doing ok... still need to lose weight for real....
Squash is my main way of achieving fitness but unfortunately that season ends in April-ish where I live and restarts at the end of october... (sebring is peak fitness for me)
Old 08-21-2019, 09:34 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Maintaining 190-195, body comp still changing for the better. I'm actually getting to race day most days and needing to add a few lbs to the kart to make weight.

I've won the last 3 races so the results are strong.

Thinking about doubling down in the off season to drop another 15 lbs and jumping into a national pro series next year for a few races to see how I stack up.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:22 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I've won the last 3 races so the results are strong.

Thinking about doubling down in the off season to drop another 15 lbs and jumping into a national pro series next year for a few races to see how I stack up.
Impressive! I've tried carts couple of times for fun and have to admit translating car skills to carts was not as trivial as I expected. Everything happens much quicker and in much smaller doses with carts, requiring major butt-dyno re-calibration.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:16 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Fitness gains have dramatically improved ability to drive and feel comfortable in the car. It's a night and day difference and I was not in bad shape/weight to begin with. I think it helped a lot in the incredible heat this past weekend without a cool suit.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:40 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Almost 2 years later, what have people been finding? I'm up about 4 pounds from last year, but still the same basic level of fitness. I've found driving to be much easier. Doing a bunch of other neurocognitive training and other things has made a big difference too.

Going into this offseason, I want to drop a few pounds, keep the core program strong, and maybe increase my cardio a little.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:48 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Dropped another 8 since we saw each other at The Glen a few months ago. Total just shy of 90.
Best I’ve felt in a long long time. Feel
like a kid again. Driving best I ever have (still suck but sucking much less now) and the dropped weight has me much more relaxed and much smoother behind the wheel. Stamina on track is great (better) now and much less fatigue as well.
You did good with me.....
Can’t wait to see what skiing will be like this season.
VIR this week should be a hoot.....
Thanks again for the inspiration and guidance.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:39 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 270 Posts

Almost 2 years later, what have people been finding? I'm up about 4 pounds from last year, but still the same basic level of fitness. I've found driving to be much easier. Doing a bunch of other neurocognitive training and other things has made a big difference too.

Going into this offseason, I want to drop a few pounds, keep the core program strong, and maybe increase my cardio a little.
Matt,
What is your neurocogntive training regime?
Tom

Quick Reply: Off Season Fitness Goals. Do you have them?