Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Season Fitness Goals. Do you have them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 10:34 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
You need a power meter...
Notice the measures are not all visible....
Old 03-25-2019, 07:08 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 269 Posts

I'm not a big biker, but now I'm thinking I need a cadence sensor![/QUOTE]

Cycling is all about maintaining x rpm or cadence, shifting gears to maintain the cadence your body can sustain,
Old 03-25-2019, 08:11 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

On the electronic bike I ride in the gym, one of the data points is a Watts meter. Watts is power. My fastest rides correlate with the highest Watts average. My street bike has a low end computer which gives me speed but not cadence. It does give an overall average speed. My goal is to keep increasing average speed.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Read any of Hunter Allen Books. He's a good 911 Racer, too.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-25-2019, 09:36 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Working with the HR data, there is some really interesting data around how to measure performance, output, physical strain, etc. I'm really interested to get a lot of this out of drivers and see what it says about their fitness and the programs. It will also lead to some car changes.

Bill - I think you have a good method. Always improving performance is progress. You are hardcore biking and rowing. Rowing is a real workout for me!
Old 04-12-2019, 02:21 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

How many folks go in a sauna regularly? Steam room? I'm starting to use the one at the gym and it's HOT (duh!).
Old 04-12-2019, 02:23 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
How many folks go in a sauna regularly? Steam room? I'm starting to use the one at the gym and it's HOT (duh!).

Matt, you're getting me excited......
Old 04-12-2019, 03:16 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

It seems my off season goals included falling on ice, breaking my hand, ripping cartilage in my wrist, and messing up my elbow. In addition, I messed up my left foot so that running on the treadmill and hiking becomes painful. All these months of hard work and now the lack of exercise has caused me to add back almost ten pounds.

Be careful out there kids!
Old 04-12-2019, 04:30 PM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wanna steam bath? Come to So. FLA :-)
Old 04-25-2019, 08:06 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

so I walk past the damn sauna every day at the gym and think of this thread.

Is the thought process here that it helps build a tolerance to heat allowing you to perform better on hot days in full gear?

We we had a couple days last year in the karts that about did me in. That said I was 30 lbs heavier and didn’t have great cardio endurance back then either. I’m hoping my progress will make me more prepared for hot days but if there’s a bigger benefit to sitting in the Sauna I could easily add it to the regimen.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:27 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
so I walk past the damn sauna every day at the gym and think of this thread.

Is the thought process here that it helps build a tolerance to heat allowing you to perform better on hot days in full gear?

We we had a couple days last year in the karts that about did me in. That said I was 30 lbs heavier and didn’t have great cardio endurance back then either. I’m hoping my progress will make me more prepared for hot days but if there’s a bigger benefit to sitting in the Sauna I could easily add it to the regimen.
It certainly doesn't hurt
Old 05-02-2019, 09:37 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Finally under 200lbs. Went form 234 in August to 203 at the beginning of April . Was too set in my routine and decided to change a few things up and it took my body a few weeks to adjust but the weight is finally going the correct direction again and I was officially 199 this morning.

Under 200 puts me at my phase 1 goal and gets me to minimum weight for my class in Kart racing which starts this weekend. Phase 2 is to get to 190 so that I can start to strategically add weight back to the kart where I want. Phase 3 will be to reverse diet and try to keep under 200 lbs while doing so.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:43 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Great point. When a group of us were beta testing iRacing in the spring of 2008, Tony Stewart sent a pic of his rig IN the sauna and said that he tried to stay in there at least three-hour stints at a time...

From an article in 1999 when he was training for racing in Indy AND the 600.

To prepare Stewart for the 110-degree cockpit temperatures that are normal in Winston Cup racing, his trainer set up a stationary bike inside the sauna at Gibbs Racing to simulate race conditions. A skeptical Stewart donned his helmet and slowly worked his way up from 15-minute sessions to hour-long rides in the makeshift cockpit. "I thought he was crazy at first but it's really worked to improve my stamina. I feel stronger and more alert throughout a race and I'm definitely not as drained afterward. The strength training has made a world of difference too. I'm not wrestling with the car as much and it's helped my reflexes."
Old 05-02-2019, 10:07 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Great point. When a group of us were beta testing iRacing in the spring of 2008, Tony Stewart sent a pic of his rig IN the sauna and said that he tried to stay in there at least three-hour stints at a time...

From an article in 1999 when he was training for racing in Indy AND the 600.

To prepare Stewart for the 110-degree cockpit temperatures that are normal in Winston Cup racing, his trainer set up a stationary bike inside the sauna at Gibbs Racing to simulate race conditions. A skeptical Stewart donned his helmet and slowly worked his way up from 15-minute sessions to hour-long rides in the makeshift cockpit. "I thought he was crazy at first but it's really worked to improve my stamina. I feel stronger and more alert throughout a race and I'm definitely not as drained afterward. The strength training has made a world of difference too. I'm not wrestling with the car as much and it's helped my reflexes."
They have been doing similar things for a while. Though that quote is a little vague. Standard sauna temps (from my experience) are 190-200F. No way you could be in there for 3 hours doing any activity. But, same idea either way.

There is some great research on all of this by the military. Interesting stuff and directly applicable to what we do.

I was going to post here today to see how people are doing? I'm up about 2 lbs of muscle since February and working on aerobic fitness some. The extra work has messed with my diet some, making me super hungry, so I've been adjusting that as well. Fun stuff to experiment with.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:25 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

I was going to post here today to see how people are doing? I'm up about 2 lbs of muscle since February and working on aerobic fitness some. The extra work has messed with my diet some, making me super hungry, so I've been adjusting that as well. Fun stuff to experiment with.
Down 60 lbs since October. 20 to go and I'll be where I need to be.

Carbs and Sugars are evil, and it only took me 54 years to figure that out.

Lap times are way down as well. The true reward. Hehe.

To boot, you were the one that got me on the right path, whether you realize that or not. Hope you take some comfort in that.

Woot woot....

Quick Reply: Off Season Fitness Goals. Do you have them?