Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Season Fitness Goals. Do you have them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 07:25 PM
CrazyFast
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
I lately have been doing 5K and haven't tried 2K for 2 years and did 8:27.1. I'm 74.
Well, I hope to be that fit in 32 years!
Old 03-03-2019, 11:25 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Can’t outrun a bad (carb) diet. Ketogenic diet with no exercise outperforms the SAD with exercise in improving the metabolic syndrome:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28433617/
Old 03-03-2019, 12:08 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,243 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
FYI, I HATE exercise for the sake of exercise...and as an Italian, it kills me to cut out pasta and bread...and pizza...and fries... but especially beer/wine. The 200 bottles of wine we have in the wine room are getting lonely...
+1

My 100% Sicilian mother would cook a full meal every night - we had a pasta dish a few time a week but it always included a protein and vegetable as well. Also grew up on a steady diet of pizza, Italian bread, and bagels!

Later on in life my taste buds have not changed except I now love a glass of wine with my pasta and beer with my pizza.

It's a curse!

Originally Posted by hf1
Can’t outrun a bad (carb) diet. Ketogenic diet with no exercise outperforms the SAD with exercise in improving the metabolic syndrome:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28433617/
I think different things work for different people. Not everyone's bodies react the same to exercise and diet.

Injured myself twice two months ago and have not been able to lift weights. Probably can't for another few months. MRI next Monday to determine what the damage was from a bad fall on the ice. 5 pounds has crept up on my pretty quickly but I am battling back with more cardio.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:10 PM
hf1
Banned

Saturated fat is NOT associated with coronary heart disease.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:22 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Back on topic, how are people doing?

I did the InBody Scan today. I don't believe it, but it said I'm 14% body fat. Whatever the number is, it's the lowest it's been in my life! I've had some back problems and I've been focusing really hard on deep core for the few months. It's cured the back pain and my car is really strong now. I'm curious how it will be in driving season and if it makes much difference. I wont' have to work to control my torso near as hard. I'm a master of the plank and dead bug now!

I went borderline crazy during the holiday season. Gained 12 lbs, which is over my limit from my lean weight (10 lbs). Mostly resulting in digestive issues. which are prevalent for me and my family. Need a good cleanse. My strength and cardio are still good. Just did a Dri Triathlon with some of my clients scaled to 6 levels. I did the hardest at 2.0 mile run, 3500 meter row and 200 meters on the Schwinn Air Bike. Set a baseline (41:25) for 7 weeks from now to try it again. I'll be at least 10 lbs lighter, and in much better condition. Aiming for sub 40. 8 weeks of clean eating, and an additional 3 hrs or so of working out per week.

I highly recommend investing in row machines and air bikes, especially if you have lower extremity injuries. I'll become borderline addicted to the row machine.

BTW low carb diets have not proven to be any better than balanced diets after the first couple weeks. And that is mostly quicker water loss. Eliminate dairy, raw fruits and raw veggies and the difference may be negligible in those first two weeks.

The SAD (Standard American Diet) is a joke...... Using it for a basis for comparison is also a joke. Selective confusion as a means of manipulation..... I'll call you on it every time.

"The Western pattern diet (WPD) or standard American diet (SAD) is a modern dietary pattern that is generally characterized by high intakes of red meat, processed meat, pre-packaged foods, butter, fried foods, high-fat dairy products, eggs, refined grains, potatoes, corn (and High-fructose corn syrup) and high-sugar drinks ..."
Who doesn't know they shouldn't eat many things on that list???? Almost any diet out performs the Standard Slob Diet.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:02 AM
hf1
Banned

10min presentation to UK Parliament. Packed with data+facts. Must watch...

From the same session, high-level UK MP reversed his T2 diabetes with Low Carb High Fat diet in just a few weeks:

Last edited by hf1; 03-05-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:25 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 159 Posts

"Not buying it. A lot of stuff passes as "science" these days." Basically, if it reinforces your existing worldview, it is science and trusted. If not, it is "science."
Old 03-05-2019, 08:39 AM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by DTMiller
"Not buying it. A lot of stuff passes as "science" these days." Basically, if it reinforces your existing worldview, it is science and trusted. If not, it is "science."
Science debunks “science” — it’s how it works. My worldview changes with it. It’s not like I’ve had this worldview since the age of 10.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:05 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

I had a frozen nutter butter this weekend at Sebring. It was pretty awesome. This morning I was doing cardio and core. I can feel the death creeping in.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:12 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

I had a frozen nutter butter this weekend at Sebring. It was pretty awesome. This morning I was doing cardio and core. I can feel the death creeping in.
I feel the same way.

Tomorrow is the beginning of Lent and traditionally I have used it as a start to taking better care of myself. About 5 years ago I gave up soda for Lent and have not had any soda since.

Giving up all junk food this year. There are some who say that you shouldn't use Lent in this fashion but the food denial is not the only thing I do.

Whatever helps make a difference, right?
Old 03-05-2019, 01:41 PM
hf1
Banned

Never heard of nutter butter -- just googled it. You'll be just fine. Heart-healthy low (veggie) fat and wholesome whole wheat. Plus all the extra goodies so essential to a balanced diet:

Old 03-05-2019, 04:29 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

I thought "nutter butter" was a sexual position.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:33 PM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Frozen, no less...

Old 03-05-2019, 04:39 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Now you're getting freaky. I'm sure Dave would be happy to show it to you if you want. You're not really my type.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:47 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

And I can now finally join this thread.....

Quick Reply: Off Season Fitness Goals. Do you have them?