Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Season Fitness Goals. Do you have them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 11:46 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,275 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Sounds like a great, common sense and sustainable approach.
Yeah, now I just have to do what I said is easy. Beer, boubon, chips and salsa start their siren call every night around 9:30pm! Its hard to resist!
Old 04-04-2018, 11:49 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Yeah, now I just have to do what I said is easy. Beer, boubon, chips and salsa start their siren call every night around 9:30pm! Its hard to resist!
From Scooby's Workshop site: "Caution: You can always out-eat your exercise!"
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-04-2018, 11:55 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by PasPar2
I follow http://scoobysworkshop.com/ started 7 years ago barely managing a single pull up. its doesnt really take much time to get in some kind of shape and loose some weight. I am now down 45 pounds from that day 7 years ago
Looks like a good link. Thx!
Old 04-04-2018, 12:41 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

You seem to have it all figured out. Good work.

No sir, that would be you continuing to try to convince us that eating veggies will kill us.....

Getting and staying healthy is not a very hard concept. We all know what to do - watch what you eat and exercise.

In regards to the debate between HF1 and Wanna911 its as simple as you have to go with what works for you. One of my friends eats nothing but steamed fish and plain rice for breakfast lunch and dinner when he is trying to lose weight and it works for him. I'd blow my brains out.

Personally, I think cardio and strength training are both equally important.

This is the time of year I try to shed 15-20 pounds, and thanks to the flu last month, I am already down 15 pounds! Just 5 more pounds and I won't look like a sausage in my race suit.
Agree, living healthy is simple but not easy. Common sense goes a long way. But discipline and consistency are very tough.

Strength training is necessary, but IMO moreso for skeletal strength, not overall health. Bones get fragile as you age but far quicker if you don't have muscle to support your weight. But nothing beats cardio for the health benefits. Go to your local gym and see the results of guys doing all weight lifting with no cardio. I call them "Buffat" guys, lots of muscle but also lots of fat, particularly visceral fat which is the killer.

A lot being left out here is body type and history. If you have been overweight since chdhood, difficulty level is much higher. If you have that combined with being an endomorphic body type, difficulty goes through the roof. If your body type is naturally skinny, you probably need minimal cardio. Short bouts of hit to work the heart muscle. But big guys know that cardio is needed if you want to control your weight.

I'l use an extreme diet for a week or two ONLY to break bad habits.

As far as eating options vegan, Keto and everything in between if it suits you. There are advantages and drawbacks to each. How many people are going to realistically give up carbs for life?

Intermittent fasting is like hacking your body with pretty much no downside.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:51 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
No sir, that would be you continuing to try to convince us that eating veggies will kill us.....

Agree, living healthy is simple but not easy. Common sense goes a long way. But discipline and consistency are very tough.

Strength training is necessary, but IMO moreso for skeletal strength, not overall health. Bones get fragile as you age but far quicker if you don't have muscle to support your weight. But nothing beats cardio for the health benefits. Go to your local gym and see the results of guys doing all weight lifting with no cardio. I call them "Buffat" guys, lots of muscle but also lots of fats, particularly visceral fat which is the killer.

I'l use an extreme diet for a week or two ONLY to break bad habits.

As far as eating options vegan, Keto and everything in between if it suits you. There are advantages and drawbacks to each. How many people are going to realistically give up carbs for life?
Right on. I think people have to think lifestyle change, not diet. Lifestyle change, not New Year's resolution workout.

I've been told it's 2 weeks to make or break a habit. Seems to be about right.

And it's interesting how there are a decent number of vegan race car drivers. Andy Lally and Spencer Pumpelly are two of the more vocal ones.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Yeah, now I just have to do what I said is easy. Beer, boubon, chips and salsa start their siren call every morning around 9:30am! Its hard to resist!
FIFY
Old 04-04-2018, 02:48 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
And it's interesting how there are a decent number of vegan race car drivers. Andy Lally and Spencer Pumpelly are two of the more vocal ones.
Also Randy Pobst.....
Old 04-04-2018, 03:16 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,275 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
FIFY
Well, let's not get crazy now! I only do that on days ending in "Y".
Old 04-04-2018, 03:49 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
By all means eat them if you feel like you must. They probably won't kill you (fast enough for you to notice) if you don't eat too much of them. They may even be good for you in small doses (just like medicine, toxins, or any other stressor like exercise) are good for stressing and keeping your body and immune system in shape, but they are by no means "essential" or a necessary part of a "balanced diet".
Old 04-04-2018, 04:04 PM
CrookedCommie
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
By all means eat them if you feel like you must. They probably won't kill you (fast enough for you to notice) if you don't eat too much of them. They may even be good for you in small doses (just like medicine, toxins, or any other stressor like exercise) are good for stressing and keeping your body and immune system in shape, but they are by no means "essential" or a necessary part of a "balanced diet".

I want some of what he's having.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Well, let's not get crazy now! I only do that on days ending in "Y".
I only do that on the odd and even numbered days
Old 04-06-2018, 07:29 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

For me to go vegan they'll have to pry my steak out of my cold dead hands.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:17 PM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

it’s wild so many pro drivers are vegan

and sad they’ll be dead soon from eating all the veggies 💀
Old 04-06-2018, 09:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Fumes
it’s wild so many pro drivers are vegan

and sad they’ll be dead soon from eating all the veggies 💀
I would say there are not “so many...”
Old 04-08-2018, 02:33 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Often our tracks go cold around 5pm. Organizers should promote good driver health. It would be awesome if tracks allowed us to bike or walk the tracks after 5pm. Plus the learning of the track would be invaluable.

Quick Reply: Off Season Fitness Goals. Do you have them?