Sponsored by:

racing caymans

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 07:52 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts
Default racing caymans

I have been driving around my Dad's new 718 w/ PDK streetcar. It is the most impressive car I have driven in a long while. There are just so many things that seem to be done right. Can anyone speak to the pluses and minuses of racing caymans? I like starting with a new car and gutting it and caging them because the reliability is the best but the cost is also the most. The 718 has about the power of the last iteration of the cayman S 6 cyl. But a low mile older 6cyl caymen S much lower cost is really attractive. I would never buy a flood car to make into a racer unless it was for an unlimited class, but I have the skills to build from a "body in white". I like to race cars as close to stock configuration as possible with upgrades for reliability and pick race classes that follow that kind of formula. I like bigger brakes so my overall consumables aren't every weekend and I'm not opposed to adding coolers or big radiators but I rather not have to add power. Adding power often comes at the expense of reliability. OTOH I'm not opposed to using factory stuff to get more known reliable power. So if the only thing between the 718 and the 718S' 50 more hp is an "S" intake manifold and turning up the boost a bit I'm OK with that. Often the horsepower difference does not matter as much if the class is equalized with restrictors or weight. I like the idea of racing PDK since I have only raced manual boxes and PDK could be a positive experience. It seems that all you have to do with PDK is add a bunch of coolers and they run. So for the caymen racers if you were building today what year would you start with and why?
Old 12-15-2017, 08:17 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

If you want to build your own car look at the new PCA class for Spec Cayman. Otherwise, there are so many old ITC and Interseries Cayman racecars around it would be a waste of tens of thousands of dollars to build one. The GTB classes are where they race.

If you want to race a PDK, buy a GT4 Clubsport/MR. The factory racecar is the right way to do it and there's a class there for them. There's no class yet for the car you are talking about wanting to build.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:18 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

+1 one on what matt said

words of wisdom
Old 12-15-2017, 09:26 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

While it is less expensive to purchase a ready built race car, it is a lot more fun to build your own and you learn a lot about how the car works which I find helped me on the driving end. Whether you do it all at once or piece meal like a lot of us do. There a lot of distressed Caymans running around especially after Harvey in the Houston area. They will be salvage titles, but they make a good solid basis for a race car.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:19 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Originally Posted by rlm328
While it is less expensive to purchase a ready built race car, it is a lot more fun to build your own and you learn a lot about how the car works which I find helped me on the driving end.
Agreed! It is a learning about the car thing for me too. I'm also a rollcage weirdo and have specific ways I like my cages built around my specific custom seat. I have yet to see a truely race ready used racecar to buy. Cetainly buying pre-done is cheaper but if we really wanted cheap we would be racing miatas.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:23 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

Start with the end in mind, determine the organization and class you want to race in and then select the type of Cayman you should build. Otherwise, you could be racing by yourself.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:43 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Buy a GTB1 cayman with PDK.
Or buy a GT4 clubsport.

Fools build race cars for smart people to buy and enjoy.

All kidding aside, a fresh build is always stimulating but can take time and money. Trouble shooting can be fustrating too.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:39 AM
mannym5
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are set on pdk and doing the entire build yourself it sounds like you should start with an 09-12 cayman S pdk donor and build it to “I” Stock class at first and eventually build it to gtb1 spec which is quite costly for a top build. Note, big brakes won’t come until gtb1.

If you don’t need pdk I’d agree with above recommending spec cayman. You’d start with an 06-08 manual donor car and the build is much more simplified and laid out for you in the rulebook. Growing class as well.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Can’t go wrong either way!

Last edited by mannym5; 12-16-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:56 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by mannym5
Note, big brakes won’t come until gtb1.
Brake calipers and rotors are free in prepared; he could run as J with big brakes.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

FBB, it's one of the BEST platforms for driver development I've ever seen...

SPC/I/GTB1/GTD (latter less so) are just superb.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-18-2017, 12:50 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GTB1 is a fun class
Old 12-19-2017, 12:42 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

How is trackside reliability on these? It looks like with mid engine access trackside is painful. Do you guys do things like make the rear deck removable and make bigger cutout dzus fastners panels to access the motor topside?
Old 12-19-2017, 01:10 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Caymans are very reliable cars on track. And, if you get a Clubsport the reliability is even better
Old 12-19-2017, 01:32 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

I've enjoyed racing the Cayman. Has been very reliable. Stock classes or prepared give you a variety of options. Check out the PCA Club Racing rules for a full breakdown. Should be downloadable from the site.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:13 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Gtb1
2-3rd biggest class in events

Lot of fast drivers

Quick Reply: racing caymans