Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxsters at NASA 25 Hours of Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 05:11 PM
CTS
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 81 Posts

I am pretty sure that the fact that I had another basically identical car, without the aero stuff and Toyo RRs, running in the same race, driven by drivers who all season have been within a few tenths of each other, running on average about 5 sec/lap slower, supports my conclusions pretty well, despite your own vast experience running Boxsters at Thunderhill.

I was just as surprised as you are, and would have bet against this result, but the data is the data.

The data also shows that the broken front sway bar cost on average around 2 sec per lap. I don't know why it would be reasonable to assume that a broken car can run as fast as an unbroken car.

Both Flying Lizard cars were very patient with us. We couldn't ask for more.

Chris Cervelli
Cervelli Technical Service
Old 12-11-2017, 05:28 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CTS
I am pretty sure that the fact that I had another basically identical car, without the aero stuff and Toyo RRs, running in the same race, driven by drivers who all season have been within a few tenths of each other, running on average about 5 sec/lap slower, supports my conclusions pretty well, despite your own vast experience running Boxsters at Thunderhill.

I was just as surprised as you are, and would have bet against this result, but the data is the data.

The data also shows that the broken front sway bar cost on average around 2 sec per lap. I don't know why it would be reasonable to assume that a broken car can run as fast as an unbroken car.

Chris Cervelli
You're too polite.
Excellent results though - congratulations!
Old 12-11-2017, 07:23 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Thx for posting Chris
Old 12-11-2017, 08:25 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by morsini
You're too polite.
Excellent results though - congratulations!
Quite you! we are discussing racing here!

Originally Posted by CTS

Chris Cervelli
yes that is surprising. Yes, i do have a lot of experience in a lot of different cars there ( 20 years worth) i havent seen that kind of disparity with aero or same type of tires.... sure, really bad tires vs good tires can be about 4 seconds. so yes, i agree, i wouldn't have bet on that. however, looking at the data, it doesnt show the consistency over a lap. that first turn , 10mph slower, yet other turns near the same speed. sometimes people when they get in a big race, drive differently. plus, you have no idea if traffic was an issue, AND, in a 24hour race, if car survival is on your mind, that costs a few seconds too.
im not saying a broken car should be faster , im saying sometimes when things break, to run the same time, its a real pain and downright scary, but it is possible. there are a lot of drivers can drive around problems.

congrats on finishing the race and such a strong finish as well with both cars! 700 laps is a long way!!!

Mk
Old 12-11-2017, 09:31 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Quite you! we are discussing racing here! yes that is surprising. Yes, i do have a lot of experience in a lot of different cars there ( 20 years worth) i havent seen that kind of disparity with aero or same type of tires.... sure, really bad tires vs good tires can be about 4 seconds. so yes, i agree, i wouldn't have bet on that. however, looking at the data, it doesnt show the consistency over a lap. that first turn , 10mph slower, yet other turns near the same speed. sometimes people when they get in a big race, drive differently. plus, you have no idea if traffic was an issue, AND, in a 24hour race, if car survival is on your mind, that costs a few seconds too.
im not saying a broken car should be faster , im saying sometimes when things break, to run the same time, its a real pain and downright scary, but it is possible. there are a lot of drivers can drive around problems.

congrats on finishing the race and such a strong finish as well with both cars! 700 laps is a long way!!!

Mk
Well, at least there's one thing we can all agree on here - you've had plenty of experience with compromised equipment. Or, as the rest of us like to call it, poorly maintained crapcans.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:57 AM
justaguy
Rennlist Member

Both cars looked good in practice and in the race, I was out there in practice and was able to chase down the non aero car in the # 52 white 928 I had nothing for the car with the aero package. Aero really made a big difference to the boxster's cornering speed. I watched about 12 hours of the race and the higher cornering speed of the yellow areo car was quite noticeable. Congratulations on a great effort. I enjoyed my chat with one of the drivers at the end of the race, he was very happy
Old 12-12-2017, 09:47 AM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Great job Chris! Thanks for sharing these reports, always very interesting to read.

Steve
Old 12-12-2017, 10:40 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Congrats on the results, the demands of a 25 hour race are incredible on people and hardware. It was an impressive result. I was wondering how the boxster were going to do. What oiling enhancements did the spec car have? Baffle? Accusump? Oil separation tank?

I was there crewing for the #8 BMW. It was an awesome experience. We had you guys in our sights, but a rod bearing put us in the paddock for a engine swap about six hours in. At that point it went from placing to finishing, but that's heart of endurance racing. We were looking forward to mixing it up.

Ive run the boxster in a variety of trims (full spec on spec rubber, spec on R7, 3.4/spec suspension/R7, 3.4/JRZ/R7, and then with aero) oil pressure is increasing taxed by the stickiness of the chassis. Would love a dry sump but the $$$ is a stumbling block...
Old 12-12-2017, 06:00 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by morsini
Well, at least there's one thing we can all agree on here - you've had plenty of experience with compromised equipment. Or, as the rest of us like to call it, poorly maintained crapcans.
Thats not a bad thing. you learn how to drive that way! By the way, my "compromised " equipment would run circles around your 10 year newer and perfectly maintained 993. oh yeah, you dont RACE! i forgot!

Curious, how a "poorly maintained" "crapbox" would run 1:36s at laguna 5 seconds faster than your car of perfection, and do this for 18 years of racing with 100s of races, and 100s of podium finishes?
please tell us mike, how that is possible maybe its just old, but perfectly maintained. as i mentioned, and we all know, things break. my broken swaybar, or blown tires,water pump, alternator, brake line, power steering line, blown shock, or other problems, that sometimes end in retiring the car for the day, or session , OR not, are not the fault of any maintenance. just normal wear and tear, or defect. actually, the ONLY failure that could have been avoided was the brakeline explosion. should have changed those to braided many years ago!

Now, do you want to compare cars, lap times, wives, your wallet size, your "member" size or many other things to attempt to make yourself feel better about your inadequacies? i have news for you .... you will be let down even further!

Last edited by mark kibort; 12-12-2017 at 06:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-12-2017, 06:39 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Before this thread descends into the abyss, just wanted to say very nice job Chris!

I was following one of the E1 BMWs closely, but couldn't help notice the impressive job your cars were doing. It's even that much more amazing that one had a broken front bar. Very impressive. Can't wait to watch next year.

Quick Reply: Boxsters at NASA 25 Hours of Thunderhill