Sponsored by:

Rocky Mountain Thunder – Club Race Super Enduro/Solo DE

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 10:52 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rocky Mountain Thunder – Club Race Super Enduro/Solo DE

PCA National has asked our region to host the first ever Super Enduro (6 hours) as part of our annual Club Race/Solo DE event to be held next Sept 14,15,16 at High Plains Raceway, Colorado.

In addition to the usual Sprint races and Solo DE sessions, there will be a 6 hour Super Enduro on the Sunday of that weekend. Cars will be classed according to PCA rules but grouped into multi-class competitor groups. Porsche racers from WRL, SCCA, and NASA are invited to participate.

Please sign up for email updates and mark your calendars. September is a beautiful time to race in Colorado! High Plains has just had major re-paving work done and the track looks to be faster with less tire wear. We look forward to having racers and DE drivers from all over the country join us for this event.

For more info go to:

www.rmrclubrace.com

Thanks for checking it out!
Old 12-09-2017, 12:43 AM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Any word on pit stop and fueling rules? The standard PCA rules are terrible.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:57 AM
futurz
Rennlist Member

There is some info on the web site.
Thanks for asking.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:04 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Coloradoheel
Any word on pit stop and fueling rules? The standard PCA rules are terrible.
What part is terrible?
Old 12-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
What part is terrible?
for starters...five minute mandatory pitstops. One pitstop required in the first two hours which is fine. One pitstop required every hour there after, which is stupid. Max of three people over the wall per pitstop, is another silly restriction. No pitstops allowed in any conditions other than green, which is a silly rule as well.

Last edited by Coloradoheel; 12-09-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

for starters...five minute mandatory pitstops. One pitstop required in the first two hours which is fine. One pitstop required every hour there after, which is stupid. Max of three people over the wall per pitstop, is another silly restriction. No pitstops allowed in any conditions other than green, which is a silly rule as well.
Not sure why you find these rules stupid as they are fairly standard for Endurance and Enduro events. They are also consistent with the PCA Enduro rules so there is no confusion. I thought you were referring to the fuel spill policy.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:12 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

I can't speak specifically to why the rules are the way they are for this event other than to say they are determined by the folks at national. At the local level, we are responsible for administering, marketing, and overall managing the event with the hoped for overall success. I can say however, that when this was in the planning stages, we did seek and obtain input from Chris Cervelli, (and other racers) who is well known in racing circles and has achieved some notoriety with the success of the teams he supports in endurance racing. Chris provided some well thought out advice to us about how to conduct the race. Not all of his suggestions were adopted and indeed he recognized that incorporating a super enduro into the PCA Club Racing program is likely a work in progress, We recognized that the rules as they stand for 2018 wont' satisfy everyone's "wants". We also believe though that the rules for the 2018 Super Enduro shouldn't be deal breakers. We encourage racers to get involved in this event, help make it a success, and wherever possible become the positive agent for the changes you would like to see.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:12 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Not sure why you find these rules stupid as they are fairly standard for Endurance and Enduro events. They are also consistent with the PCA Enduro rules so there is no confusion. I thought you were referring to the fuel spill policy.
they are standard only for PCA. NASA and WRL do not manage pit stops in this manner. PCA is going down this path because they are seeing drivers depart PCA for WRL - especially heavy out here in CO.
I am one of those people, as is a significant part of our team.
I ran one PCA enduro - an hour enduro. It had a mandatory 5 minute pit stop. Why in the world do they require a mandatory 5 minute pit stop with no refueling allowed for an hour enduro? It’s ridiculous.

The rules i outlined are not pit rules for other series. 5 minutes? We do pit stops with fueling and driver change in about 1.5 minutes. We are also allowed to enter pits during yellow (this impacts strategy in endurance racing). What reason exists to not allow this?
and if our car can run 1:45 per tank at HPR, why should we be required to make a 5 minute pit stop per hour?

sorry if this seems harsh, but I had this very conversation with PCA club racing when they asked why we were running WRL instead of PCA. I explained it and they assured me they would be bringing real endurance racing to PCA. I made it clear that they needed to address their pit stop rules, which they have ignored.
Im an hour and a half from HPR and this race would fit our schedule. We would run both of our cars and I know of another 4 or 5 that would do so as well. But with these rules, those cars aren’t showing up.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:01 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

By the way, if you check out the website, you will see that there are 4 - 5 min. pit stops for the 6 hr. race.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:34 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

I'll be there, in my BMW M3 (LOL!) for the DE portion. Probably be the only M3 there, so come over and say hi....

Last edited by docwyte; 12-09-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:53 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

Glad to have you!
Old 12-09-2017, 07:57 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

they are standard only for PCA. NASA and WRL do not manage pit stops in this manner. PCA is going down this path because they are seeing drivers depart PCA for WRL - especially heavy out here in CO.
I am one of those people, as is a significant part of our team.
I ran one PCA enduro - an hour enduro. It had a mandatory 5 minute pit stop. Why in the world do they require a mandatory 5 minute pit stop with no refueling allowed for an hour enduro? It’s ridiculous.

The rules i outlined are not pit rules for other series. 5 minutes? We do pit stops with fueling and driver change in about 1.5 minutes. We are also allowed to enter pits during yellow (this impacts strategy in endurance racing). What reason exists to not allow this?
and if our car can run 1:45 per tank at HPR, why should we be required to make a 5 minute pit stop per hour?
It's simple - you are not the only one racing out there and there are actually Porsches that can't run 60 minutes on a full tank of fuel but they can run 54 minutes plus and in and an outlap. Also, there are tracks that cannot support the safety infrastructure required for refueling, that's one reason why some Enduros are sometimes only 60 minutes. Also, some folks racing in PCA do their own pit servicing without a support team and that takes longer than 90 seconds. Just assume for a second that your desires were not ignored but that the rules make sense for reasons that might not be obvious to you.

I think this race is a great idea and I am really looking forward to it.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:55 PM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

It's simple - you are not the only one racing out there and there are actually Porsches that can't run 60 minutes on a full tank of fuel but they can run 54 minutes plus and in and an outlap. Also, there are tracks that cannot support the safety infrastructure required for refueling, that's one reason why some Enduros are sometimes only 60 minutes. Also, some folks racing in PCA do their own pit servicing without a support team and that takes longer than 90 seconds. Just assume for a second that your desires were not ignored but that the rules make sense for reasons that might not be obvious to you.

I think this race is a great idea and I am really looking forward to it.
I recognize that, and it's a fair point. I am accustomed to racing in an endurance series in which cars (even cars in the same class) have varying fuel capacity and there is no minimum # of pit stops per hour.
I don't usually have a support team - the drivers are the team that assists with pit stops. When other teams do not have enough drivers to manage a quick pit stop, we all lend a hand.
My comments are aimed toward PCA representatives, who asked me specifically why we aren't racing with them, and what the enduro would need to bring us to participate.
With respect to infrastructure, HPR can most certainly handle it - WRL runs there 2 times per year.
And I still cannot see why the pit stops are a mandatory 5 minutes.
I hope it is a successful event - I don't wish ill will on anyone. I ho a good time is had by all.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:27 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Interesting what it states on the rmrclubrace website for the Solo DE

Most DE drivers are expected to be advanced/solo drivers. We will have a very limited number of instructors available, therefore DE drivers who need an instructor must have previously driven in the intermediate (Blue) run group or equivalent.

That almost implies that instructing will be available for those that request it.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:21 AM
futurz
Rennlist Member

That almost implies that instructing will be available for those that request it.

That is correct.

Quick Reply: Rocky Mountain Thunder – Club Race Super Enduro/Solo DE