AiM Solo II Released

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 04:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbarron
From the Solo2 product page, the iPhone app appears to depict a parking lot Autocross setup (maybe as it looks more like a parking lot circuit given the identically located start/finish line with no staging). Nonetheless, the pairing of the SoloDL 2 with Wifi and a good iphone/ipad (or other phone tablet) app might make a killer AX setup if done right.

Of course, I don't see an easy way to integrate video in this situation pending a WIFI SCHD.

DB
Agreed, on the first part.

For video, are you envisioning streaming video from a WiFi enabled camera? Not aware of any that do that, after the fact (i.e. stream STORED video, to be combined with the data). I think the software (and, of course the mobile app) has to be able to support video within the analysis window first, correct? Have you tried SoloStorm?
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-15-2017, 05:36 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Agreed, on the first part.

For video, are you envisioning streaming video from a WiFi enabled camera? Not aware of any that do that, after the fact (i.e. stream STORED video, to be combined with the data). I think the software (and, of course the mobile app) has to be able to support video within the analysis window first, correct? Have you tried SoloStorm?
I pretty much gave up on systems for my iPhone. I was having nightmare issues with sensor and system reliability, Also, I was getting unacceptable shake from iOS cameras.
Perhaps a dedicated (android) system for AX using SoloStorm is the way to go. Nonetheless, would be nice if AIM supported AX better,
Old 12-15-2017, 07:15 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbarron
... would be nice if AIM supported AX better,
Never had an issue with setting up an AX course. I thought it was simple to program start and finish for 1 shots.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:51 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Glad I found this discussion.

Is there any benefit to the Solo 2 DL if your car does not have an OBDII port? Can I run 0-Xv analog inputs into it in any way?

I still haven't given up on my infrared system because my local track (Willow Springs) seems to have issues with GPS signals. Is there any way of predicting whether the dual-GPS system in these new units will improve on that?

And has anyone put together a group buy?
Old 12-16-2017, 01:02 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen

Is there any benefit to the Solo 2 DL if your car does not have an OBDII port? Can I run 0-Xv analog inputs into it in any way?

I still haven't given up on my infrared system because my local track (Willow Springs) seems to have issues with GPS signals. Is there any way of predicting whether the dual-GPS system in these new units will improve on that?

For your car, the only benefit is the LED lights that can be used as predictive time displays. Other than that, it won't offer any extra functionality. There is an RPM input, but no analog inputs on the Solo 2.

What problems do you see with GPS at Willow Springs? I have data from there without trouble, so I would be curious to hear what you've seen. I can send you out a loaner Solo to see how it works. The GPS and Glonass in the GPS08 is really great, so I expect it will be the same in the Solo 2, though the original Solo units are no slouch.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JackOlsen

Jack, the Solo 2 DL will be a good tool for "analog" cars like yours. The 12V square wave conventional tach signal is the only analog input on the S2DL, which is why the cost is so reasonable for what it does. NOW, I can recommend these devices for Spec Miatas, SP cars and many of the historic cars I enjoy supporting. If you want more 0-5V inputs, wait for the MXx, an inexpensive ($300 more than the Solo 2 DL) but with a larger display, 4 0-5V analog and 1 RPM input, with the new file system, track management and updated GPS engine, like the S2DL and all the current loggers (EVO4S/EVO5/MXL2/MXP/MXS/MXG).

Because the latest hardware generation (everything introduced since Christmas 2015) now includes the GPS-08 and GPS-08B dual-GPS antennas, as will the S2DL and the MXx, you should have no trouble (and as Matt says, it's been tested with good result) with Willow.

Be glad to help. You've contributed a lot and it's time to contribute to you!
Old 12-16-2017, 01:34 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Jack, the Solo 2 DL will be a good tool for "analog" cars like yours. The 12V square wave conventional tach signal is the only analog input on the S2DL, which is why the cost is so reasonable for what it does. NOW, I can recommend these devices for Spec Miatas, SP cars and many of the historic cars I enjoy supporting. If you want more 0-5V inputs, wait for the MXx, an inexpensive ($300 more than the Solo 2 DL) but with a larger display, 4 0-5V analog and 1 RPM input, with the new file system, track management and updated GPS engine, like the S2DL and all the current loggers (EVO4S/EVO5/MXL2/MXP/MXS/MXG).
I don't think the RPM adds a substantial improvement for most people. While I agree that more data is better, RPM is not substantially changing the analysis that is possible. For folks not changing gear ratios, it doesn't add much. The best bang for the buck with "analog" cars is going to be the MXm or the Evo4s. At $999 for the MXm with 4 analog inputs and a great display, it's a terrific unit and value. For people that want the ability to add more inputs at a lower price, the Evo4s w/ GS Dash at $1,399 is terrific. After that, it's full on systems at their price point for the display you want.

But, everyone gets to make their own choices. The great part with AiM is that the data is always compatible, so whether someone upgrades systems, changes cars, or whatever else, they can always use their historical data.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:13 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I thought the leds in the solo 2 could also be programmed for shift lights now that it can pick up rpm.....that's a great addition but definately not huge,
MxM sounds like it will be a great addition
Old 12-16-2017, 02:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Der ABT
I thought the leds in the solo 2 could also be programmed for shift lights now that it can pick up rpm.....that's a great addition but definately not huge,
MxM sounds like it will be a great addition
Like Matt says, it's a great range. Three good choices at $699/$999/$1399 (the latter two plus sensors) that cover nearly every current or historic car.

The S2DL LED's can be set up for gear dependent shift lights, as well as other measures integrating RPM. Also, the gear selection analysis and strategy, as illustrated in both books from Chris Brown and Bob Knox, is now possible in older cars with the new hardware.

One of the most valuable RPM analysis methodologies I've learned is the OVBO measure from John Block's webinars. To optimize forward thrust, people can learn a lot from this visualization of RPM information, in my experience.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:55 PM
zzyzx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jack, I've never had any problems with GPS at Willow. I've compared both my AiM datalogger and a Harry's laptimer lap times against those from a timing beacon, and it was spot on. (Don't remember the actual variance, but it was insignificant).
Old 12-20-2017, 12:59 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Price? $1,000???

from what I am reading, I am guessing it's $1,000, $300 more than the SOLO DL.....I think I'd prefer to save up $1,000 more and get the MXL 2 with:
1. Multi-channel alarm feature, low/high OP, low/high/fluid temps,
2. Big display
3. Shift lights
4. OBD II connection for data.

I have had a MXL2, SOLO and SOLO DL. I sold the MXL2 when the 993 was morphing back to a street machine, really dumb move. The SOLO and SOLO2 paled by comparison, the MXL 2 spoils you...makes you feel safe and secure with the alarm feature. I am going to get another one for my 6GT3...after I first **** away $$$$ getting it ready for the track, and secondly,
learning to drive it.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Martin, the prices have been announced for the Solo 2 ($399), Solo 2 DL ($699) and the MXm ($999), the latter will do all you want and is worth looking at. Call David and Ellen and they’ll tell you all about it.
Old 12-20-2017, 01:49 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Smile Thanks Pete...

Martin, the prices have been announced for the Solo 2 ($399), Solo 2 DL ($699) and the MXm ($999), the latter will do all you want and is worth looking at. Call David and Ellen and they’ll tell you all about it.
They are an incredible resource...and less than a 1/2 hour drive..incredible couple. Now I have to get my 6GT3 ready for Time Trial:
1. Welding up the cooling pipes,
2. Installing the RSS (931) harness bar I got from Joe at Stable Energies (Great experience) , 1/2 cage, installing my Schroth 5/6 point harness,
3. Installing a race seat, or seats, still up in the air on this...going up to a Recaro dealer in Berkeley to do a butt test, may get a set of Euro GT3 seats,
4. Swap out the PCCB brakes for iron
5. Install Pagid Pads,
6. Stainless steel brake lines and DOT 5 fluid,
7. Install lug studs getting rid of the stock lug bolts
8. Installing an underdrive pulley for PS unit
9. Coating the car in EXPEL (Next week)
10. Exterior covering front windshield
11. Install Fire extinguisher
12. Mount up Hoosiers on 2nd set of wheels

For the $$$ involved in the above, I could by a 944 Spec car, but that's not the point, is it.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:34 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
For the $$$ involved in the above, I could by a 944 Spec car, but that's not the point, is it.
You know what they say: "If you want to make a small fortune racing, you have to start with a large one."
Old 03-06-2018, 01:18 AM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

So the iPhone app is one the way?

Quick Reply: AiM Solo II Released