Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

learning to trail brake

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 09:16 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

A different perspective from a non-data guy. Stop using so much brake. I mean a lot less. If you are feeling good, in control, safe and smooth, well then you are going too slow. It means you used too much brake. You should be a little scared that you aren't going to make it. To lessen the fear but still be fast, look as far down the track as possible. And hang on for dear life.

Let off the brake sooner than comfortable. Get on the gas sooner. And hang on!

fwiw, I have vbox, I've seen the data. I understand the physics involved. But I just can't (won't?) translate all those squiggles into how to drive. I only watch the videos only when it's car to car, door to door racing, for entertainment. Otherwise I just fill data cards all weekend only to be erased next race weekend.

Remember they didn't used to have data, just stop watches.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:16 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
A different perspective from a non-data guy. Stop using so much brake. I mean a lot less. If you are feeling good, in control, safe and smooth, well then you are going too slow. It means you used too much brake. You should be a little scared that you aren't going to make it. To lessen the fear but still be fast, look as far down the track as possible. And hang on for dear life.

Remember they didn't used to have data, just stop watches.
That last line reminds me of what Brian Redman always says. "The stopwatch is the only data that matters."

Great post, Clarke. You are one of the few ams that are NOT afraid...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-07-2017, 11:32 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

To Clarke's point, most people would be surprised and shocked just how little they really need to brake for most track corners...

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 12-07-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:15 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Trail braking
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2017, 01:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Trail braking

Right here... The RELATIONSHIP between the last ebb of brake pressure, the significant overlap of lateral acceleration with brake pressure AND longitudinal g, but still, throttle app shouldn't need the correction that is present just to the right of the circled area as evidenced by the dip in Long g. Good example.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:12 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Interesting, that is helpful.

I also thought I downshifted too early and should have waited a tad longer and therefore maybe even brake a bit later
Old 12-07-2017, 11:57 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

It's not about braking later.
it's about releasing brake earlier.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:00 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Old 12-08-2017, 01:49 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

That's data from the lap record at BW so it's pretty good
Old 12-08-2017, 08:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

it's about braking less and releasing brake earlier.
FIFY
Old 12-08-2017, 09:41 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

From another non-data guy with a low-hp car, great post.....you should be thinking about how little brake you can get away with (or in my case oftentimes how long I can stay on the gas before lifting/breathing i.e. Mosport's T8 and WGI's T11 )

And yes, don't spend a lot of time looking at your braking/lifting point--look ahead to the entry of the upcoming turn, then when you get into the turn adjust your inputs as needed (as discussed in the "Coasting......" thread) and drive the corner. Look at your entry and exit speeds (or revs) to see how you did. If you don't have any slip angle going through the turn you weren't fast enough--get that going and then manage that.

Gary
Old 12-08-2017, 11:20 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Originally Posted by gbuff

If you don't have any slip angle going through the turn you weren't fast enough--get that going and then manage that.

Gary
bingo
Old 12-08-2017, 03:39 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

As a quick easy to understand summary of how and why to trail brake:
As you learn to drive faster, you will find that you can brake later, so late in that, you wont scrub off enough speed to effectively make the approaching turn, however, what drivers discover, is that there is a tremendous force associated with turning, so, understanding that capability, and how it is made, more effective by adding braking (made more effective by resultant weight transfer) , you have the essence of what trail braking is and does. to learn how to do it, you need to understand what it does, and practice taking advantage of a turn in style that goes from "brake straight, release, turn in" to a "brake later, turn in then release brakes" approach.
Simply put, turn in should be thought of part of the slowing process, and trail breaking enhances it's effects. this is why students are often urged to run a lap with no brakes to see and feel the effects of the slowing effects of the "turn". Later, using that feeling as a foundation to brake later and hold the braking later , albeit slightly reduced, going into the turn (i.e. trail brake)

it's about releasing brake earlier.
I dont think i agree .. analogous to the slip angle post, if before the apex, you dont have any slip angle, you are not going fast enough, this means on some turns, trail braking will allow for this to happen, creating actually a later point of brake release.

Originally Posted by gbuff
From another non-data guy with a low-hp car, great post.....you should be thinking about how little brake you can get away with (or in my case oftentimes how long I can stay on the gas before lifting/breathing i.e. Mosport's T8 and WGI's T11 )

And yes, don't spend a lot of time looking at your braking/lifting point--look ahead to the entry of the upcoming turn, then when you get into the turn adjust your inputs as needed (as discussed in the "Coasting......" thread) and drive the corner. Look at your entry and exit speeds (or revs) to see how you did. If you don't have any slip angle going through the turn you weren't fast enough--get that going and then manage that.

Gary
yes, very true!
Old 12-09-2017, 10:09 PM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Simply put, turn in should be thought of part of the slowing process, and trail breaking enhances it's effects. this is why students are often urged to run a lap with no brakes to see and feel the effects of the slowing effects of the "turn". Later, using that feeling as a foundation to brake later and hold the braking later , albeit slightly reduced, going into the turn (i.e. trail brake)
thanks for this. definitely want to try this for a few laps. i'm sure i'll gain much insight.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:50 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

After 20 years of racing I'm still confused and learning to go faster. I have found 3 sports as irritating as golf. Golf, sporting clays, and racing.

Quick Reply: learning to trail brake