Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience or advice going from DE to Time Trials?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 07:12 AM
bxfe
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I do TT with Kevin. I hope I am not the not so courteous guy. I have been doing it for 4 years. I think it does help you improve. I don't think you need to do anything special to participate. TT will meet you where you're at. When I started I would usually finish 4th or worse. However, I was always chasing someone.

I like the competition. It's boring to me to just pound out laps, though I could always improve the way I practice.

Another thing it offers is a way to enhance your experience on a bucket list track. This year I did VIR for the first time. I did 2 HPDE days and then 2 days with NASA. The HPDE days were great for learning the track but I really had a blast in TT. I ended up winning my class both days. I am at NOLA right now getting ready to do TT tomorrow. I don't find the track to be particularly fun but with the element of TT I have some goals that I am aiming to achieve.

I highly recommend it.
Thanks for the confirmation.....................seems like 40 years of autocrossing has ruined me for just "pounding out laps". I too seem to need the competition and am looking forward in 2018 to trying the Southeast Div Time Trial series.
Gary M
Old 12-02-2017, 08:34 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Fennell
I don't get this issue, they don't make you come in or anything and you get the same amount of track time if you want to use it...

Also you could just up class to compete with others.
Your fastest lap is going to come in that first couple of hot laps. If you spin or drop 4, you DQ that session. So you push all session, you risk ruining that fast lap. Also, no sense in wearing out tires/brakes or putting the car at risk.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:24 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
Your fastest lap is going to come in that first couple of hot laps. If you spin or drop 4, you DQ that session. So you push all session, you risk ruining that fast lap. Also, no sense in wearing out tires/brakes or putting the car at risk.
Kevin's point is that you can drive the entire session if you wish just like in an HPDE group. That being said if track time is important to you than go with Chin over NASA.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:47 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

For The NASA group I run with the learning progression is HPDE 1-4, TT and racing. I drive more aggressively during a TT that I do during a normal DE session but not as aggressively as I would during a race. I think TT are good progression, it's an easy step up from HPDE4, many of the TT sessions are run with HPDE4.
Phil
Old 12-02-2017, 01:46 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
For The NASA group I run with the learning progression is HPDE 1-4, TT and racing. I drive more aggressively during a TT that I do during a normal DE session but not as aggressively as I would during a race. I think TT are good progression, it's an easy step up from HPDE4, many of the TT sessions are run with HPDE4.
Phil
Yeah, I do run the Fridays @ Mid-O in HPDE4 along with the TTers--unlike the weekend you DO get quite a bit of track time, and for not a lot of $$$

Gary

Quick Reply: Any experience or advice going from DE to Time Trials?