Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No wonder COTA is so hard on brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 12:54 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

I have a video of going from 114mph to 0 going into COTA T11 without even using the brakes. But that didn't turn out well so I probably won't try it again.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:28 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
I was comparing your minimum corner speeds to that of one of my students.

In my opinion, you are slowing too much and that excessive reduction in speed was making the brakes do more work than necessary.

Your speeds: Compared to:
T1: 40 MPH 44 mph

T3: 60 MPH 76 mph

T12: 38 MPH 48 mph

T13: 55 MPH 62 mph

The biggest problem with a track like COTA is everyone wants to go mach 1 down the straights before they learn the maximum minimum corner speeds. It is much easier to learn the fastest line through a corner when you limit your max straight speed to 95. Take the first couple of sessions and learn the proper line and maximum speed for each corner, then increase your straight line speed and adjust your braking accordingly. Thing happen very fast at triple digit speeds and most of us are too old and lack sufficient hours on the track to learn a track at warp speed. You had 3 days, 12 on track sessions. Had you taken the first two at a much lower speed and focused on corner speed, you would have be much faster by end of Saturday and would have had more fun all day Sunday.
I think you misinterpreted my original post as it appears you are comparing me at COTA and TWS to your student at COTA. I didn't report T3 and T13 data for COTA. The first set of data was for COTA, the second set was for TWS, a completely different track.

Last year, I cracked a set of rotors at COTA due to a red flag at T12. Well into the session, 120ish to 0 and just sat there with the brakes literally smoking. I posted the video sometime back:

-Mike
Old 12-02-2017, 10:35 PM
GSM
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike - not to take this off topic, but in a red flag situation as in your video, is it permissible to creep forward 2-3 feet periodically so that the pads don't aren't on the same section of the brake disc? I am relatively new and I ran into the same situation (different track) last season. Red flag thrown, slowed down quick to the flag station, sat for 5 minutes, and warped the rotors on my e36 m3.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:40 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by GSM
Mike - not to take this off topic, but in a red flag situation as in your video, is it permissible to creep forward 2-3 feet periodically so that the pads don't aren't on the same section of the brake disc? I am relatively new and I ran into the same situation (different track) last season. Red flag thrown, slowed down quick to the flag station, sat for 5 minutes, and warped the rotors on my e36 m3.
No, I don't believe so. Red flag in briefing was described as check mirrors, slow down, pull off line and stop in sight of a flag station. I don't think the problem was the pads not moving, as I did not have my foot on the brakes, it was the rotors cooked because of no air moving through them. Also, to be honest, those rotors were close to done. Red flag means something serious has happened on the track and the corners get locked down so the personnel can focus on the emergency without worrying about cars moving around on the track.

Secondly, there is a very real possibility that your rotors were not warped, they likely had uneven pad deposits. In all the years I've tracked E36 M3s (2009) I've never warped a rotor, but cracked several when they wore out.

-Mike

Quick Reply: No wonder COTA is so hard on brakes