Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone do the simulators at a Porsche Experience Facility?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 09:40 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Anyone do the simulators at a Porsche Experience Facility?

Will be spending a bit of time in the Atlanta area during the month of December. I was thinking of treating myself to a bit of time in the sims at the Porsche Experience near Atlanta airport. Has anybody here used them, and what is your opinion? Hoping to get a bit of feedback before I decide. Use a lot of simulation for my job, but have not tried any of the driving simulators besides a few video games.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:34 AM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts

I use PEC ATL for practice (DE driver, not racer) as detailed HERE. Socks in the cockpit, so no shoes needed, PDK only so no clutch practice. The only ones I have used are the Ring, Spa, and Road Atlanta, I found them to be very good, and for a complex track like the Ring, help you memorize what is around the next blind corner. I would be interested to hear what racers who actually train in sims think of them. If you are a pro, I suspect they are at best OK, and maybe awful, but for a DE level driver, I found them useful. Also just plain fun, if you like driving and/or video games.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:46 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I used the ones in Atlanta and they were okay, nothing like what CXC in CA offers. I'd say they're god to learn a track but not accurate with regard to specific car characteristics. There are car choices and their 997 Cup handled nothing like the one I owned at the time. Definitely a cool place to visit......
Old 11-29-2017, 04:58 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh. I've not used any simulators beyond video games. This simulator seems very much like a video game.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:21 AM
Voodoo1
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sims at PEC are ok, but I did not find them to be very accurate with handling compared to some of the more advanced models, like a Simcraft. Resistance steering wheel only, no motion. Fine if you want to learn the line, but can also create some bad habits.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:46 AM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Just ok, not good at all. Not realistic. But relatively cheap. I would spend my time in their restaurant or coffee shop and walking over the facility if you do not want to drive their cars. Maybe worth trying if you are really interested.

Quick Reply: Anyone do the simulators at a Porsche Experience Facility?