LOL

Thanks !!
Old 11-28-2017, 01:06 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
LV, first let me reinforce that I see little genetic or nascent talent differential between good ams and good pros. That means (nearly) every driver has potential to drive at the highest level...

Every driver bleeds red, they all put their pants on one leg at a time (except for Lally, thats a JOKE!) and the reason why Stevan MacAleer, Trent Hindman, Corey Lewis or Andrew Davis (and folks like them) are so good and so fast is because theyve focused on NOTHING else (theres that discipline...) for most of their pre-teen, teen and adult lives.

Idont deify pros, for the simple reason that they are human, like the rest of us, and subject to the same variability, distractions and foibles as the rest of us, but their focus and discipline do allow them to transcend what they themselves even believe is possible. But that is a separate subject entirely...

In the most competitive series, qualifying is a separate objective from racing. The goal is to optimize the car for a super short run, biased towards the lowest legal weight, least fuel load, best tires and tune it to stay there for a few laps. The goal for the driver is to summon the concentration to visualize and execute at the HIGHEST level for a very short time. If you set fastest lap in the race (barrIng anomalies like a good tow), then youre doing something wrong.

So yes, I think there are many places Club and am drivers need the develop in order to get to that level, including qualifying optimization.

As an aside to both Rick and Marcs development, the laws of physics dont really know the difference (in the BIG picture) between cars, and when I see talented ams start developing into pro level drivers, this is one of the first explorations and skill building exercises they do (team o neil, dirtfish and other car control development programs).

My impression is that Rick is SO comfortable in his car, that he drives to a level and thats it. Sure, his PB incrementally improves, and a coach could certainly help optimize that, but he is now at the stage where attending a pro school could give him a fresh perspective on how to incrementally push his OWN ideas and belief system forward to become even better, rather than fine tuning the same old thing.

For Marc, well, he just thinks too much! Seriously, just drive the car and look carefully at the data to benchmark performance. His butt calibration is fine, for now, and accumulating experience in the new car with critical feedback, backed up by an examination of how much is left in his performance metrics and how far apart what he thinks hes doing in the car from what he is ACTUALLY doing in the car will keep him busy for a good while (at least this coming season).
Very useful thoughts and glad Rick started this thread! Some things to think about.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:27 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcD147
1) how do skills transfer across car (types)?

if I budget 5k for a season of driver improvement what is the best way or combination of ways to spend that?
  • right seat coach (in my car)
  • coaching using data (using my car's data)
  • racing school in a different car
This is the question I have. I'm just starting to build an SPC for 2018. Had budgeted a few days of coaching (3k worth) to setup the car and improve my skills.... So would the money be better spend doing 1 intro race school (3k would only get the intro class, not the advanced classes)?
Old 11-28-2017, 01:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
This is the question I have. I'm just starting to build an SPC for 2018. Had budgeted a few days of coaching (3k worth) to setup the car and improve my skills.... So would the money be better spend doing 1 intro race school (3k would only get the intro class, not the advanced classes)?
IMO, if that is the budget, private coaching would be your best investment, AFTER your car is complete and you have a few days in it...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-28-2017, 01:48 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

IMO, if that is the budget, private coaching would be your best investment, AFTER your car is complete and you have a few days in it...
Thanks Peter... First race will be VIR in June... If only I knew someone in the area that could help in Mar/Apr... Maybe I can google it... :-)
Old 11-28-2017, 01:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,401 Likes on 748 Posts

No
Old 11-28-2017, 01:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MarcD147
1) how do skills transfer across car (types)?
  • eg I am going to race a 996 cup. how would doing a bertil roos school that uses Formula cars benefit me? would I benefit more from a school using miatas? hellcats? are there schools that use cars more similar to 996 cups?
  • I remember reading that Patrick Dempsey really benefited from doing the dirtfish rally school ( but that was probably a custom program and on top of lots of other coaching/practice)
if I budget 5k for a season of driver improvement what is the best way or combination of ways to spend that?
  • right seat coach (in my car)
  • coaching using data (using my car's data)
  • racing school in a different car
Originally Posted by toddlamb
Do it. A racing school. ANY one. You'll be amazed to learn the things you didn't even know you didn't know.
Marc, at SOME point, I think you should attend a high level pro school, Intro and Advanced, together if possible. I think it's just a good investment, separate and away from the annual driver development budget. If you amortize the cost of this over the years you spend in your avocation behind the wheel, it works out to be pretty reasonable. This is congruent with what I and others have advised Rick to do responding to his original query.

Does it need to be done right away? Probably not, but when TOP-LEVEL pro drivers send their kids FIRST THING to these pro schools, that means it's probably a good idea.

Todd has it right here. Having been "in the field" and having worked with thousands of drivers one-on-one, as well as been part of the instructor corps for a number of name-brand pro schools, there is STILL TOO MUCH OF A GULF between what even the best self-taught drivers KNOW and the level of understanding of drivers have who have attended one or more pro schools. Just a fact.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks Peter... First race will be VIR in June... If only I knew someone in the area that could help in Mar/Apr... Maybe I can google it... :-)
Sounds good.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:30 PM
BobKid
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I’ll probably never race, I did a BMWCCA club race school last year and will always value the lessons I learned from it. It’s so easy to get in a groove in DEs where you just go out time and time again making incremental improvements, but every session of the school was focused on a different skill set. Biggest takeaways were the extra effort you can put into vision/spatial awareness, and also just how unused track surface there is out there. It didn’t really make me any faster, that’s where coaching will come into play. But if nothing else, it made me a much better DE driver and I learned some skills that might mean the difference between having an easy out in an unplanned situation versus a nasty interaction.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BobKid
While Ill probably never race, I did a BMWCCA club race school last year and will always value the lessons I learned from it. Its so easy to get in a groove in DEs where you just go out time and time again making incremental improvements, but every session of the school was focused on a different skill set. Biggest takeaways were the extra effort you can put into vision/spatial awareness, and also just how unused track surface there is out there. It didnt really make me any faster, thats where coaching will come into play. But if nothing else, it made me a much better DE driver and I learned some skills that might mean the difference between having an easy out in an unplanned situation versus a nasty interaction.
Thats a good program. Standardized curriculum and exercises proven through the ages...
Old 11-28-2017, 08:58 PM
BobKid
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats a good program. Standardized curriculum and exercises proven through the ages...
and with Bimmerworld sponsoring the course, the cost was about the same as a DE weekend. Lots of bang for the buck.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:02 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by toddlamb
Do it. A racing school. ANY one. You’ll be amazed to learn the things you didn’t even know you didn’t know.
👍
Old 11-29-2017, 09:25 AM
987part
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bmw racing school in april at mosport
Old 11-29-2017, 10:25 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Rick,
I second what Seb mentions about the Trillium BMW racing school at Mosport ... it is a very well run program and it's incredile how you
can manage to go three wide around a complete racetrack.I attended that same school with Seb and his dad a few years back , it was a lot of fun ... although now the three of us are racing at different levels , it can be a very slippery slope ... lol

Doesn't mean you have to risk that beautiful Cayman, Boxsters are cheap as well as 944's and they are fun to throw around the track !
Old 11-30-2017, 01:59 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many schools will allow a student to skip the intro course if they already have sufficient track experience. I did that with my first Skip Barber class. I skipped the intro and beginner's courses and went immediately to the advanced school. The advantage of the schools versus a private coach is that the schools have several coaches and pro drivers on course with you. You get feedback from 4 or 5 instructors instead of just one.
I only know of one guy that took a school that didn't feel he got his money's worth. He took an intro/beginner course after he had been racing a couple of years, he should have take the advance clinics. I know several people that have taken the advanced clinics repeatedly because each time they gained more knowledge and experience.

Last edited by Brian C in Az; 12-03-2017 at 12:51 PM. Reason: typos

Quick Reply: Maybe I should try a Racing school