Sponsored by:

Tracking a 996TT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 01:33 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
I have 11 years in a 996 TT. Very formidable with only a few mods. Needs damping, brakes (6 piston Porsche swap for endurance), sway bars, tune , exhaust, clutch to run with 90% of what's coming out today. And that will last pretty much forever (in track years) As far as cups, depends on track, driver level, mods and how long you intend to run with said cup. Power managemen is typical 911, understeer, but worse with AWD. Very confidence unspring in AWD though. Conversion to RWD is easy, just need to add LSD. After some time you'll need to remove rubber from suspension as weight and heat cycles take a toll. Simple control arms, bushings and spherical bearings will do the trick.
Dez's car is pretty extreme but a perfect example of how impressive a TT can be. He came to Mid Ohio for the first time and destroyed the NASA TTU lap record...one that still stands today. i don't think a 6 cup or 7.1 cup could get to his lap record.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:27 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

He shared some of his times with me and they are insane. It’s going to be fun learning to drive a heavier, higher HP car. Jferrante did an amazing job on his build which I’ve been following for quite awhile. I was not in the market for another car but there was no way I could pass on this opportunity.

On the TT vs Cup debate, there’s a post on the Cup forum to budget $3k/hr of racing. Gulp. I know there are a lot fo variables but I’m hopeful the TT will be a little less expensive to run.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:31 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
He shared some of his times with me and they are insane. It’s going to be fun learning to drive a heavier, higher HP car. Jferrante did an amazing job on his build which I’ve been following for quite awhile. I was not in the market for another car but there was no way I could pass on this opportunity.

On the TT vs Cup debate, there’s a post on the Cup forum to budget $3k/hr of racing. Gulp. I know there are a lot fo variables but I’m hopeful the TT will be a little less expensive to run.
Congrats on your new ride!

3k,only because he's putting a set of 2300$ stickers on to race that hour...
Old 12-04-2017, 09:38 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Dez's car is pretty extreme but a perfect example of how impressive a TT can be. He came to Mid Ohio for the first time and destroyed the NASA TTU lap record...one that still stands today. i don't think a 6 cup or 7.1 cup could get to his lap record.
the car he ended up buying is near identical to mine. Nothing really trick, typical upgrades on suspension arms and getty/Toth aero, JRZ, LSD. Its built more for longevity and adjustability than anything. In fact his might have cup uprights, mine are all stock. stock brakes, stock gear ratios (straight cut 3rd for longevity). Really easy and not that expensive to duplicate (relative to Porsche stuff).
Old 12-05-2017, 09:37 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

the car he ended up buying is near identical to mine. Nothing really trick, typical upgrades on suspension arms and getty/Toth aero, JRZ, LSD. Its built more for longevity and adjustability than anything. In fact his might have cup uprights, mine are all stock. stock brakes, stock gear ratios (straight cut 3rd for longevity). Really easy and not that expensive to duplicate (relative to Porsche stuff).
]

Fair...I guess I was more leading towards extreme on weight loss measures side. Between the dash / doors / hood / roof you're is a good chunk lighter than his.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:55 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
]

Fair...I guess I was more leading towards extreme on weight loss measures side. Between the dash / doors / hood / roof you're is a good chunk lighter than his.
it's a stock roof shell so the only way his is heavier is if it's a so roof or has liners etc. I do have a composite hood and doors. The dash was in the car I wrecked in 2015. Currently have stock dash. But yeah, im a bit lighter. Also custom center exit "straight through" exhaust.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:48 AM
rhargy
Rennlist Member

I tracked and raced a 996TT for about 8 years and most of the comments above relative to brakes are spot on. The car ran K Prepared so had to run at 3500+ and I had about 200lbs of ballast in it. Caged, complete suspension overhaul with Penske dampers. Tire and brake management was a bit of an issue at that weight. If I had to do it all over again I probably would take it to GT1 and just put it on an extreme diet. The platform was great, very reliable and robust. The only issue was horsing all that weight around the corners. Sold it to a guy who uses it for DE's and he got the ballast out and loves it. No mods to the motor other than a tune from Kevin that brought the torque in earlier. I never converted to RWD because I needed the weight and it was helpful in specific corners where I needed the pull. Once you get all the mods done that you'll need to do to get the most out of it, it's pretty bulletproof with normal maintenance.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:59 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

it's a stock roof shell so the only way his is heavier is if it's a so roof or has liners etc. I do have a composite hood and doors. The dash was in the car I wrecked in 2015. Currently have stock dash. But yeah, im a bit lighter. Also custom center exit "straight through" exhaust.
I think you’ve got me by about 100lbs right now. I’ll do some of the easier lightening project that are left but with this much HP it’s tough to imagine spending big bucks shedding the last 100-150lbs.

Quick Reply: Tracking a 996TT?