Sponsored by:

Current Best of Breed Sim Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 12:58 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Current Best of Breed Sim Steering Wheel

Contemplating running Iracing for a full season to try to win one of the series in 2018.

With that in mind what to update the steering wheel in my rig to be more accurate / more realistic feedback.

Thoughts on ~$500 steering wheel / base that will outperform my G27 wheel?

I am thinking about getting the Fanatec pedals, but also curious about a $300 pedal system that has better brake feel than the non-existent feel of the G27 pedals.

Thanks all
Old 11-21-2017, 01:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Contemplating running Iracing for a full season to try to win one of the series in 2018.

With that in mind what to update the steering wheel in my rig to be more accurate / more realistic feedback.

Thoughts on ~$500 steering wheel / base that will outperform my G27 wheel?

I am thinking about getting the Fanatec pedals, but also curious about a $300 pedal system that has better brake feel than the non-existent feel of the G27 pedals.

Thanks all
IMO, brake pedal feel is far more important than wheel feel. On the G27, some folks add the Nixim foam resistance insert, but I think the best upgrade is the Perfect Pedal hydraulic load cell. You can get one and takes about 30-45 minutes to put it in for about $250. The Fanatec V3 is not much, if any, better. I like the Huesinkveld pedals the best... and I started with one of Todd Cannon’s set that I found out about from Smoke, Justin Wilson and Junior in a private league when beta testing in 2008.

I like the V3 Fanatec CSW, but you need to know that all the aliens Racing for the top spots in iRacing have equipment that is all over the map. From $300-$9000 in just pedals and wheels.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:06 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
IMO, brake pedal feel is far more important than wheel feel. On the G27, some folks add the Nixim foam resistance insert, but I think the best upgrade is the Perfect Pedal hydraulic load cell. You can get one and takes about 30-45 minutes to put it in for about $250. The Fanatec V3 is not much, if any, better. I like the Huesinkveld pedals the best... and I started with one of Todd Cannon’s set that I found out about from Smoke, Justin Wilson and Junior in a private league when beta testing in 2008.

I like the V3 Fanatec CSW, but you need to know that all the aliens Racing for the top spots in iRacing have equipment that is all over the map. From $300-$9000 in just pedals and wheels.
Thanks - helpful. In the slower cars I can keep pace just behind aliens, but in the faster cars I am getting smoked in the braking zones, so your advice is very good.I dont have any specific complaints about the g27 wheel - it seems "fine" but its not providing that gentle steering wheel "buck" that you feel in a real car as you are starting to go over the adhesion limit of the tires. I think having that would help slightly, but the threshold braking would be life altering in the non-abs faster race cars

https://heusinkveld.com/products/sim...v=7516fd43adaa - these pedals in the "pro" version you like? Is it just that the pedal requires more pressure, or is it that you can feel in your foot the car start to lock up?
Old 11-21-2017, 03:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Thanks - helpful. In the slower cars I can keep pace just behind aliens, but in the faster cars I am getting smoked in the braking zones, so your advice is very good.I dont have any specific complaints about the g27 wheel - it seems "fine" but its not providing that gentle steering wheel "buck" that you feel in a real car as you are starting to go over the adhesion limit of the tires. I think having that would help slightly, but the threshold braking would be life altering in the non-abs faster race cars

https://heusinkveld.com/products/sim...v=7516fd43adaa - these pedals in the "pro" version you like? Is it just that the pedal requires more pressure, or is it that you can feel in your foot the car start to lock up?
Yep.

I like anything that requires more than 75 kg force in pedal pressure to get close to lockup or ABS (more like 120 kg in a prototype), plus the 12-bit resolution makes it much more easy to modulate close to the limit.

Crazy how good this stuff is, but it's going to be a new wrinkle in your setup unless you make the seat connected to the pedals in a very rigid way. Without some sort of frame, it's not possible to use the pedals correctly or with any sort of predictability.

I'm not into motion platforms at all. Tried a bunch of them over the last few decades. Have to try Chris's stuff still.

Might have to have the company buy a D-Box platform this year to spend a little money, though.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-21-2017, 04:07 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Thanks

I built an 80/20 rig which feels pretty solid

Agree - I tried motion at SEMA and found it distracting at best
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2017, 11:21 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Fanatec has a few black friday deals coming up, check FB...including a preorder for their direct drive wheel.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:11 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by consolidated
Fanatec has a few black friday deals coming up, check FB...including a preorder for their direct drive wheel.
https://www.fanatec.com/forum/discus...c-direct-drive

Direct Driver FAQ's above.

Black Friday deals starting 11/24: https://www.fanatec.com/forum/categories/blog
Old 11-22-2017, 08:48 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Great to see you post on this. I've never experienced a DD wheel, in your opinion is it a substantial improvement on a good belt wheel base like their V2?
Old 11-22-2017, 09:58 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by consolidated
Great to see you post on this. I've never experienced a DD wheel, in your opinion is it a substantial improvement on a good belt wheel base like their V2?
Yes. my reference is the first gen Bodnar Sim Steering Wheel. I started with ECCI and have tried the Accuforce, as well. Good, current overview here: http://www.f1simulatormaniac.com/dir...teering-wheel/

There is no feeling of "inertia" that distracts from the feedback. It's like driving a purpose built sports racing car after a big, heavy street GT car or sedan. Much less of a tendency to overshoot steering inputs or input constant corrections because of the feeling of the gear drive or belt drive "weight." Better resolution, more adjustibility, all kinds of benefits.

When I started using sims twenty years ago on my own, there was a prejudice against FF! The best wheel makers (which didn't offer over the counter sales, each wheel custom made) took a long time to get on that train. With the improvement in hardware and especially the collection of data that allowed the generation of realistic force feedback algorythms IN THE SIM program, it's opened up the experience much more.

That said, the G25/27 is still a great, inexpensive setup, with TWO mods. Gary Gibson's Perfect Pedal hydraulic load cell for the brake and Leo Bodnar's 10-bit USB cable (that makes the pedal's path separate to the USB controller and increases tremendously the pedal resolution), so do those mods until you have the cash to buy a better pedal setup (first) then a DD wheel, IMO. I have one of those at the vacation house, I still use a Fanatec CSW V2 with BMW GT and 918 wheels at home, but the DD at work. Happy with all of them.

It's a great time for this equipment and there are a lot of vendors. Also, a lot of crooks out there, too. As a bleeding edge adopter, I've lost my air share of money sent for the "new, new thing" only to come up empty handed. Usually builders who have put together a beautiful prototype (wheel or pedals) and lose interest or can't make them on a profitable scale for the price they advertise and money they collect. Vet the vendors you want to deal with first...
Old 11-22-2017, 01:57 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Fanatic v3 i think.

Clubsport set is great

Don’t cut corners get the hydraulic brake and clutch pedal set up.

Quick Reply: Current Best of Breed Sim Steering Wheel