Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum trailer options

Old 11-21-2017, 10:30 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Aluminum trailer options

Looking at upgrading my trailer to a trailerx quest. My preference would be to find a highly optioned one here but am also talking to dealers about specing one out.

One thing i would like to get input on is the large set of options you can do that are not specified on a web site. For example I saw a trailerx on this site with an external tire rack in the front. That seems like a way better option than shoring beams inside.

So so what would be on everyone's wish lists?

I know I want an escape hatch and cabinites. And think I like the aluminum floor
Old 11-21-2017, 11:01 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Which manufacturer makes the trailerx Quest? ATC makes a quest. And Trailex makes lots of models.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:22 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

I saw the pic of the tire rack on the front of an ATC. Interesting. I have the shoring beams, and they’re great. I will admit it makes it difficult to walk around inside, so I have to take them down every event I go to. Not a huge deal, but a bit inconvenient. I like the rack outside, but it’s not quite as secure, and the tires are exposed. Of course that didn’t matter too much when I had my open trailex.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:25 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 177mph
Which manufacturer makes the trailerx Quest? ATC makes a quest. And Trailex makes lots of models.
sorry haven't had my coffee this morning. Looking at atc quest.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:29 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by linzman
I saw the pic of the tire rack on the front of an ATC. Interesting. I have the shoring beams, and they €™re great. I will admit it makes it difficult to walk around inside, so I have to take them down every event I go to. Not a huge deal, but a bit inconvenient. I like the rack outside, but it €™s not quite as secure, and the tires are exposed. Of course that didn €™t matter too much when I had my open trailex.
It seems like a good trradeoff to me.

Another er thing I'm thinking about is if I have a decent solar setup and shore power skipping a generator box. I don't camp in the trailer and that would allow me to go down to a 24' vs a 26 with a gen box. That said I also already own a Honda eu3000 generator
Old 11-21-2017, 11:30 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Also would love to hear which options ended up being duds. Spare tire in the floor seems like a bad idea to me. External lights seems not very useful etc
Old 11-21-2017, 12:44 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

plenty of posts on this. Spare tire well definitely bad, winch in a well frees up cabinet space, and you’re unlikely to need it when the car’s in the trailer (unlike the trailer spare tire). AC overpriced, easy to put in your own, much cheaper if pre-wired and framed. escape door great, I would have liked the little overhang on the back with some loading lights in there for night time. I do use the side outside lights, but replaced my halogen bulbs with LEDs. I did put a solar panel on roof, but a small one, just enough to keep the battery charged in case of need for winch(learned that the hard way, dead battery sucks when you need the winch), lots of pitpal/pitproducts stuff arranged as you like it. Extra tie downs for pit bike, that’s all I can think of for now.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:31 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm an ATC & Trailex dealer, amongst other things.

ATC is going to increase prices on the Quest 10% effective Dec. 4. Get your order in before then.

ATC's fold down tire rack works well. I use it. The Quest 305 is the most popular trim level.

The driver's side access door is very handy. We wouldn't stock one without it.

We have an older Quest we use ourselves that is loaded with almost every conceivable option possible to show our clients.

We have the in floor spare compartment. It works well and is accessible but ours is a 28'. I'd get the wall mount spare if smaller.

Make sure your trailer has the extended tongue. Makes maneuvering easier.

After that it depends on what car you're loading (if super low get race ramps or stainless flip down ramp extensions and 3" ramp door bumpers), what you're carrying (tool box?, tires? gear?) and what's the tow vehicle.

Awnings are good but can be installed anytime. Get an awning rail if you don't do factory installed awning but keep in mind it's a bitch to wire if the trailer has a finished interior.

If you go black go heavier exterior metal as the sidewalls can appear wavy in the sunlight. Black is hot however in the summer.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions or give me a call http://www.primotrailersales.com/ x229.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:05 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EDIT saw that you want Enclosed...... No Coffee....

Why not look at Futura Trailers? I can't think of a better open trailer out there for loading racecars.

http://www.futuratrailers.com/tandem
Old 11-21-2017, 03:07 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

I have an ATC Quest that is loaded and basically brand new I would like to sell.

NorCal located
Old 11-21-2017, 08:57 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by audipwr1
I have an ATC Quest that is loaded and basically brand new I would like to sell.

NorCal located
i love your trailer, just wish it had the escape hatch
Old 11-21-2017, 09:03 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
I'm an ATC & Trailex dealer, amongst other things.

ATC is going to increase prices on the Quest 10% effective Dec. 4. Get your order in before then.

ATC's fold down tire rack works well. I use it. The Quest 305 is the most popular trim level.

The driver's side access door is very handy. We wouldn't stock one without it.

We have an older Quest we use ourselves that is loaded with almost every conceivable option possible to show our clients.

We have the in floor spare compartment. It works well and is accessible but ours is a 28'. I'd get the wall mount spare if smaller.

Make sure your trailer has the extended tongue. Makes maneuvering easier.

After that it depends on what car you're loading (if super low get race ramps or stainless flip down ramp extensions and 3" ramp door bumpers), what you're carrying (tool box?, tires? gear?) and what's the tow vehicle.

Awnings are good but can be installed anytime. Get an awning rail if you don't do factory installed awning but keep in mind it's a bitch to wire if the trailer has a finished interior.

If you go black go heavier exterior metal as the sidewalls can appear wavy in the sunlight. Black is hot however in the summer.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions or give me a call http://www.primotrailersales.com/ x229.
Awesome input. Thanks
Old 11-21-2017, 09:04 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dizzyj
i love your trailer, just wish it had the escape hatch
With escape hatch if you drive in, how will you make sure you are aligned so you dont take out the front fender on the inner tire wells for example? That is why everyone winches.

Encourage you to ask around to see who actually uses an escape hatch. I have been to a million club races and literally have never seen someone crawling out of their escape hatch. When I spec'ed mine I never thought of it once and have never wished I had it honestly.

Winch the car in, strap it down and be on your way.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:22 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Stick with the escape door. Don't let anybody talk you out of it. It serves multiple purposes: Shade, a place to see the rainy race while you stay dry, etc. Don't let those that don't have it and want to sell theirs talk you out of it. I had more positive comments having it than negative. Even from those that winch their cars and have admitted that a little grandson is very helpful to keep the car from banging on the interior sides while its being winched to avoid wheel wells (P.S.: they forget that with an escape door you only hit the non-removable one if you screw up and don't line up the car properly - hint little granson again0. I even heard comments that its an easy break into the trailer point from those wanting to sell their without used trailer; they conveniently ignored the other 2 doors their trailer already has.

In regards to an OEM tire rack; there are better and cheaper ones out there aftermarket - some include a security bar that goes through the wheel centers instead of just strapping them.. All it takes is a drill, a bit, screws and a 6 pack afterwards when you are done.

P.S.
The escape door on an Intech is bigger than the one on an ATC.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:33 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
Stick with the escape door. Don't let anybody talk you out of it. It serves multiple purposes: Shade, a place to see the rainy race while you stay dry, etc. Don't let those that don't have it and want to sell theirs talk you out of it. I had more positive comments having it than negative. Even from those that winch their cars and have admitted that a little grandson is very helpful to keep the car from banging on the interior sides while its being winched to avoid wheel wells (P.S.: they forget that with an escape door you only hit the non-removable one if you screw up and don't line up the car properly - hint little granson again0. I even heard comments that its an easy break into the trailer point from those wanting to sell their without used trailer; they conveniently ignored the other 2 doors their trailer already has.

In regards to an OEM tire rack; there are better and cheaper ones out there aftermarket - some include a security bar that goes through the wheel centers instead of just strapping them.. All it takes is a drill, a bit, screws and a 6 pack afterwards when you are done.
OP - drive to racetrack, walk around paddock. Take note, ask people with and without. Report back. Prioritize the options you want based on this and on your budget.

If money is no object obviously buy not only an escape door, but also make sure its outfitted with 3 AC units, add lights on both sides of trailer, add a huge tongue box with lock, upgrade to triple axle with 7200 axles, and get a custom paint job that is cool. I can spend money on a trailer all day long. A $45k budget will make a totally unbelievable kick butt build and it will 100% include an escape door, why not?

Escape door is $3k, so its just a matter of return on the $ you spent for each option.

This "must have escape door" is a Rennlist only thing that started about 4 months ago. I am not going to lose sleep over not selling you my trailer, its a meaningless dollar figure and it hides cars from my wife (and other's wives) super well so I am not doing some sales pitch which is what numb nuts above believes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aluminum trailer options