Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
I'd say it's just about fast enough.

Definitely a lot of fun, in my experience...
Is it fast enough? Or does it slow down well enough?
Old 11-14-2017, 03:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Interesting commentary from Walter about cars like the GT2 RS, which this one is designed to match.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...for-nrburgring
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-15-2017, 08:54 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Is it fast enough? Or does it slow down well enough?
Also, yes.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:01 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,397 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Also, yes.
Sofa king jealous...
Old 11-15-2017, 10:40 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

All these cars are stupidly fast. I instructed in a C6 Z06 a few years ago, student was older and was very cautious. He was short shifting at 4500 rpm and lifting several seconds before the braking zone (This was at PPIR running clockwise).

Even with that, it felt like we were going incredibly fast. So I asked him, how fast are you going when you lift here? Answer: 145mph. Holy. Schnikes. So if he'd been using the motor and braking where he should've we easily would've been topping 160mph.

In a street car. With no safety beyond the factory 3 points. Ummmm, yeah....
Old 11-15-2017, 10:57 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by docwyte
All these cars are stupidly fast.

Yep, my epiphany came in 2009 after twenty-five years riding right seat. 165 mph vMax at VIR in a standard F430 with that single, flimsy shoulder belt... over and over again.

...and cars are faster now. No thanks...

Besides, we all know it looks twenty miles per hour faster than it actually is when you're in the right seat!
Old 11-15-2017, 11:04 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

props to all the brave instructors riding in the right seat, I'm done with that..
Old 11-15-2017, 11:14 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Besides, we all know it looks twenty miles per hour faster than it actually is when you're in the right seat!
So my 40 mph perception gap will eventually reduce to 20? Just 30 or so more years to get there. 😀
Old 11-15-2017, 11:21 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
props to all the brave instructors riding in the right seat

^^This^^

If not for you instructors, mere mortals like myself would never have a chance to experience the sheer joy of driving on a racetrack.

I still don't know how you all do it, but I'm sure as $hit glad that you do.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:31 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DTMiller
So my 40 mph perception gap will eventually reduce to 20? Just 30 or so more years to get there. 😀
Hahaha!

You've hit on a good point. One of the "qualities" of an instructor used to driving a FAST car is that they tend to be more tolerant when instructing from the right seat IN a FAST car!

This is why very competent and experienced older car, 944 (NA), SPB or SM driving instructors take a little while to (and sometimes, never) get acclimated to the speed with which stuff is coming at them in the car, in cars much quicker than what they are used to driving.

Having driven a 3-liter (relatively contemporary) F1 car, IMSA Group C as well as more modern prototypes and some of the fastest purpose-built GT cars on track, as well as supercars (the F40 is the most exciting car I've EVER driven on the street) for decades, I felt relatively inured riding in fast cars, because I had been in cars that were faster, at least behind the wheel...

In conducting instructor training clinics and speaking with the same instructors often over decades, you can (and most do) get used to the sense of speed in these hypercars, even in the passenger seat. Instead of looking like it's SIXTY mph faster in the passenger seat, pretty soon the differential is down to forty, then twenty, then for some, it doesn't bother them anymore.

But that last group is rare. And the new cars AREN'T helping...
Old 11-15-2017, 11:32 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
All these cars are stupidly fast. I instructed in a C6 Z06 a few years ago, student was older and was very cautious. He was short shifting at 4500 rpm and lifting several seconds before the braking zone (This was at PPIR running clockwise).

Even with that, it felt like we were going incredibly fast. So I asked him, how fast are you going when you lift here? Answer: 145mph. Holy. Schnikes. So if he'd been using the motor and braking where he should've we easily would've been topping 160mph.

Scary thing is on the C6Z the power doesn't really come on until after 4,500 rpm. You'd think a 7L V8 has a ton of low end torque but it's really setup to pull hard on the top end.

When I instruct I try and find a fiesta ST on all season tires or an AWD sedan with all the nannies or a Tesla whose battery overheats in 3 laps.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:43 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,734 Likes on 2,170 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Hahaha!

You've hit on a good point. One of the "qualities" of an instructor used to driving a FAST car is that they tend to be more tolerant when instructing from the right seat IN a FAST car!

This is why very competent and experienced older car, 944 (NA), SPB or SM driving instructors take a little while to (and sometimes, never) get acclimated to the speed with which stuff is coming at them in the car, in cars much quicker than what they are used to driving.

Having driven a 3-liter (relatively contemporary) F1 car, IMSA Group C as well as more modern prototypes and some of the fastest purpose-built GT cars on track, as well as supercars (the F40 is the most exciting car I've EVER driven on the street) for decades, I felt relatively inured riding in fast cars, because I had been in cars that were faster, at least behind the wheel...

In conducting instructor training clinics and speaking with the same instructors often over decades, you can (and most do) get used to the sense of speed in these hypercars, even in the passenger seat. Instead of looking like it's SIXTY mph faster in the passenger seat, pretty soon the differential is down to forty, then twenty, then for some, it doesn't bother them anymore.

But that last group is rare. And the new cars AREN'T helping...
+1

When I was a PCA safety chair, quite a few instructors who drove slower cars commented that they (understandably) weren't comfortable instructing in fast cars. And if they're that uncomfortable, I don't think they should be instructing in those cars.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:07 PM
HEAT'N'COOL
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by breljohn
50% more yes but i'm not sure it makes it that easier at the limit on your first DE
As an instructor, i don't allow the student out of 3rd gear their first time out. I am there to teach them the track and how to be smooth with their car so to not unsettle it. If they want to go all out, it will be without me...
Old 11-20-2017, 04:20 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I limited my student (his first time at Sebring) in a 997 Turbo S that was chipped and mod'd to 4th gear until he proved that he wasn't a complete moon d!k. 4th was PLENTY fast enough in that car - but he was eager to learn safety and took instruction well. I have had other students "Ricky-Bobby" me with the "I just want to drive fast" routine that was pretty scary.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:40 PM
Moondog4224
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just want to say thank you to all who instruct!

I have been blessed to get awesome instructors in both PCA and Chin....

I came from motorcycles and was probably considered aggressive but methodical and respectful ....
All the instructors I’ve met were great people who wanted to help me identify my goals and learn....

thx!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette ZR1 - too fast?