Sponsored by:

Cabrio use in NE

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 09:21 AM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cabrio use in NE

Can anyone in the Northeast recommend a racetrack that allows a 911 cabriolet for DE or PCA events? I had a lot of fun doing DE at Milleville NJ Motorsports Park with my Boxster, but 911 is not allowed there. I'm half sorry I didn't get a coupe, but oh well. Only looking to do two or three DE a year so really not interested in putting a rollbar in at this time. Yes, I understand it could be dangerous. Thanks
Old 11-11-2017, 09:44 AM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by shekmark
Can anyone in the Northeast recommend a racetrack that allows a 911 cabriolet for DE or PCA events? I had a lot of fun doing DE at Milleville NJ Motorsports Park with my Boxster, but 911 is not allowed there. I'm half sorry I didn't get a coupe, but oh well. Only looking to do two or three DE a year so really not interested in putting a rollbar in at this time. Yes, I understand it could be dangerous. Thanks
why isn't it allowed, my friend has a 997 turbo convertible that I have run with him multiple times there? are you 8 feet tall and stick above the roof?
Old 11-11-2017, 11:14 AM
shekmark
Pro

Originally Posted by Jferrante
why isn't it allowed, my friend has a 997 turbo convertible that I have run with him multiple times there? are you 8 feet tall and stick above the roof?
Really? I swear I remember reading in their rules that only fixed roll bars were permitted there. I hope you’re right.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:47 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 800 Posts

From PCA minimum standards:

Cabriolet/Convertible Cars

Any make of car delivered with factory installed roll over protection meets the minimum standards for PCA DE events. In these cars we recommend the soft-top be in the up position or the hard top installed. If the top is in the down position, restraint system* must be used. An SFI and/or FIA approved arm.

If a car does not have factory installed roll over protection, a roll bar or roll cage must be installed, which meets the "broomstick" rule (the driver's helmeted head is below a bar placed on top of the roll bar and windshield). Design, installation and materials of roll bars or cages and their installation must meet PCA Club Racing specifications, contained in Appendix A-Roll Cage Specifications of the PCA Club Racing Rules. All targa tops must be installed unless there is addition roll over protection. All sunroofs must be in the closed position. The windshield alone is not considered to be factory roll over protection.

Keep in mind that individuals regions are permitted to enhance those standards; they just aren't permitted to lessen them.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:23 PM
shekmark
Pro

This is directly from NJMSP DE website: Not sure how a PTT cabrio got to drive on their track.
"Convertibles with roll hoops or roll bars must pass the “broomstick test”. A broomstick is placed on the top edge of the windshield continuing toward the rear and on top of the hoop/bar. The top of the driver’s helmet must be below the bottom edge of the broomstick.

Pop up factory roll hoops do not constitute rollover protection and such vehicles are not permitted.

Removable hardtops do not constitute rollover protection and such vehicles are not permitted."
Old 11-11-2017, 02:52 PM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
From PCA minimum standards:

Cabriolet/Convertible Cars

Any make of car delivered with factory installed roll over protection meets the minimum standards for PCA DE events. In these cars we recommend the soft-top be in the up position or the hard top installed. If the top is in the down position, restraint system* must be used. An SFI and/or FIA approved arm.

If a car does not have factory installed roll over protection, a roll bar or roll cage must be installed, which meets the "broomstick" rule (the driver's helmeted head is below a bar placed on top of the roll bar and windshield). Design, installation and materials of roll bars or cages and their installation must meet PCA Club Racing specifications, contained in Appendix A-Roll Cage Specifications of the PCA Club Racing Rules. All targa tops must be installed unless there is addition roll over protection. All sunroofs must be in the closed position. The windshield alone is not considered to be factory roll over protection.

Keep in mind that individuals regions are permitted to enhance those standards; they just aren't permitted to lessen them.
This is directly from NJMSP DE website: Not sure how a PTT cabrio got to drive on their track.
"Convertibles with roll hoops or roll bars must pass the “broomstick test”. A broomstick is placed on the top edge of the windshield continuing toward the rear and on top of the hoop/bar. The top of the driver’s helmet must be below the bottom edge of the broomstick.

Pop up factory roll hoops do not constitute rollover protection and such vehicles are not permitted.

Removable hardtops do not constitute rollover protection and such vehicles are not permitted."
Really? I swear I remember reading in their rules that only fixed roll bars were permitted there. I hope you’re right.
The rules from the track supersede those put forth in PCA's Minimum Standards.

Aaron
Old 11-11-2017, 02:59 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

The rules can vary according the organization holding the event. NJ state has some rules of its own. Schattenbaum PCA runs several events @ NJMP. Here's as link to their Tech form. http://www.schattenbaum.org/wp-conte...chtech2017.pdf Note the Roll Bar section and Notes.

Last edited by Bill Lehman; 11-11-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:15 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
The rules can vary according the organization holding the event. NJ state has some rules of its own. Schattenbaum PCA runs several events @ NJMP. Here's as link to their Tech form. Note the Roll Bar section and Notes.
What link?

Old 11-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Come and join Allegheny region at Pitt Race, WGI and Mid O next year. Convertibles with factory roll over protection are allowed, and they are great, well organized events.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:30 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

I would pick a different event that allows cabs. I have run with LAPS in the Midwest, and they allow convertibles.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:02 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
What link?

Fixed it.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:04 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Pretty sure Summit Point allows them.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:24 PM
Jferrante
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

I am very sure you can run this at NJMP - unless like Bill said each group enforces differently..
Old 11-11-2017, 07:46 PM
marcus1249
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

I’ve run lime rock, Watkins Glenn, Palmer and Thompson all in a cab, the only issue I had was lime rock made me deploy my pop up roll hoops one time (pretty simple to do)
Old 11-16-2017, 12:23 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

3 tracks up this way (actually 4) no stock OEM Cabs

LRP
NLMP-L
NJMP-T
VIR

Any others up this way, good to go. Those are the 4 that my 991.2 Turbo S Cab cannot run at. That's why I picked up a 981.2 Coupe. Strictly for those tracks. Instant Deploy OEM Roll bars not allowed at the above 4.

Last edited by dgrobs; 11-16-2017 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Cabrio use in NE