Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
3 tracks up this way (actually 4) no stock OEM Cabs

LRP
NLMP-L
NJMP-T
VIR

Any others up this way, good to go. Those are the 4 that my 999.2 Turbo S Cab cannot run at. That's why I picked up a 981.2 Coupe. Strictly for those tracks. Instant Deploy OEM Roll bars not allowed at the above 4.
I have a friend that tracks a 718 (boxter spyder) and I've seen him driving at Summit Point (all 3 tracks), Dominion Raceway, and VIR (early this year in Mar, maybe they changed their rules since then).

Note that there are 'track rules' (run by the track management themselves) and 'club rules'. It's amazing the difference in rules, which gets exposed when you run on a member day where there are no club rules overlaying the track rules.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:31 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

PCA DE, top up.
SCCA DE top down with built in roll over protection.
Same Tracks.
Purchased arm restraints for top down PCA DE, never used them, dangerous.-Richard
BTW warm day, SCCA no problem, short sleeves, shorts OK!
Old 11-16-2017, 10:05 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Yes, track rules are what I'm referring to for NJMP, VIR, and LRP.
No Cabriolets with or without the instant deploy OEM roll bars. (Top up or down doesn't matter).
Those 3 want a hard top or "broomstick test" roll bars.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:12 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Driver8
The rules from the track supersede those put forth in PCA's Minimum Standards.

Aaron
Actually, it can be the other way around as well. At High Plains Raceway, cabs are only allowed in PCA events (top up). As I understand it, the PCA insurance for the event supersedes the tracks insurance, as noted above.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:21 AM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
Actually, it can be the other way around as well. At High Plains Raceway, cabs are only allowed in PCA events (top up). As I understand it, the PCA insurance for the event supersedes the tracks insurance, as noted above.
Correct if the PCA minimum standards are more restrictive than the track's rules, the minimum standards must be followed.

My reply was in response to the quoted statements in my original post.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:58 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pocono events may allow. No open face helmets at NJMP

Last edited by Gofishracing; 11-28-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:11 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Pocono events may allow.
They do. Had my TTS.2 Cab at Pocono numerous times for PCA DE's and some other events (you actually sat right seat with me one of those times, maybe a PTT event a couple years ago?).

Still trying to find a date to hit up Roxanne's with you.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:26 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Here is the law that governs NJ racetracks with respect to roll bars:

§ 13:62-3.13 Rollover bars (a) Rollover protection is required for all open cockpit or convertible vehicles. Roll bar padding meeting SFI Specifi cation 45.1 is mandatory anywhere a driver’s helmet or body may come in contact with roll bar components. SFI Specifi cation 45.1 (August 11, 2005), is incorporated herein by reference, as amended and supplemented and available at http:// www.sfi foundation.com. SFI roll bar padding standards are available from the SFI Foundation, Inc., 15708 Pomerado Road, Suite N208, Poway, CA 92064. (b) Factory provided rollover protection (production vehicles) may be used for promotional and touring events, time trials, drivers schools, and lapping days providing that the height of any vehicle occupant (with helmet) is not higher than the highest point of the factory rollover protection structure. (c) Convertibles and open vehicles (except motorcycles) in races and race practices shall have a roll bar or main hoop extending beyond the head or helmet of any vehicle driver or instructor. Removable hardtops shall not constitute rollover protection.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:43 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

:-) Roxannes- Anytime. PTT fun event. Tons of track time. Pocono has it's own rules. (none basically) I think when you rent the facility it's your playground. Within insurance underwriters tolerance.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:03 AM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A late thank you for all the replies! There is hope! I am a member of PCA now, so will check their events and Pocono is close enough. Maybe even further out in PA.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:14 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shekmark
A late thank you for all the replies! There is hope! I am a member of PCA now, so will check their events and Pocono is close enough. Maybe even further out in PA.
Also, check out the entire DE schedules for NNJR and NER, or any other PCA region for that matter. I usually do ALL the NNJR DE's and a lot of the NER/NCR, MNY, and CVR events as well.

Welcome aboard.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:29 PM
CordedTires
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am SO glad I found this thread, as I was about to post the same question!

I’m a new owner of a 2004 996 turbo cab, in eastern PA. Like the OP, I am not really happy about the idea of putting a roll bar in. I may do one DE event and decide it’s not for me. Should have known better (10 years of autocross ten years ago), but I didn’t research track restrictions before I bought the car (would have bought it anyway though).

Yesterday through a combination of circumstances unlikely to repeat in my remaining lifetime, I got to follow an experienced driver in a heavily modded 944 through three or four miles of deserted curvy back road. I’m still smiling - and the idea of more is kind of irresistible.

But I’m confused. The Schattenbaum PCA rules from the link above says NJMP requires manual pop up of the factory roll bars, and the NJMP rules say no (period) to the cabriolet factory roll bars. It’s really true that track rules can vary according to sponsoring organization? Kind of blows my mind. And why would NNJR NJMP rules be different than Schattenbaum at the same track?

oh, and not to hijack the thread, but if I would have to pin coolant lines that would nix me too.

Last edited by CordedTires; 12-21-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:47 PM
996.2er
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I was considering a hard top purchase to go over a cabrio for just a couple track days in the nicer weather as a guest at Millville, NJ but looks like that is a big ‘no’ — anyone try NJMS with a cabrio and the hard top cover and get turned away?

Quick Reply: Cabrio use in NE