Damp to wet track tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 10:19 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Damp to wet track tire recommendations

Need a new set of tires for the Cayman - 2009- based race car. These likely should be performance street tires to handle track damp or wet conditions as well as days that are too cold for Hoosiers. Might also use if sharing the car in dry conditions.
I don't think they should be race rains. Interested in longevity as they may only get used a couple of times/season.
Thanks
Old 11-03-2017, 10:38 PM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have really liked my RE-71R's in my kinda similar Exige S. I use them in the exact same conditions, at COTA they are 5s slower then A7's in the dry I think for reference, and at 2200 lbs 260 WHP I get 10 hours out of a set at least. I have noticed that they have 1-3 good uses and are a bit slower after that line any tire, but my last set was used for road and track days for almost 1 year and were still serviceable after that time.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:19 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

I think you’ll be disappointed with a street tire. There is no problem running Hoosiers in damp conditions, especiallly for somebody with your experience. Just get a set of Hoosier H2O rains for the wet. You will need to throw them away after 2-3 years of use because they dry out. Store them in bags.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:37 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I think you’ll be disappointed with a street tire. There is no problem running Hoosiers in damp conditions, especiallly for somebody with your experience. Just get a set of Hoosier H2O rains for the wet. You will need to throw them away after 2-3 years of use because they dry out. Store them in bags.
Thank you, Frank
How about cold weather? For example, we had frost at sunrise at VIR a week ago.
Always appreciate your advice
Old 11-04-2017, 12:38 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Kevin Fennell
I have really liked my RE-71R's in my kinda similar Exige S. I use them in the exact same conditions, at COTA they are 5s slower then A7's in the dry I think for reference, and at 2200 lbs 260 WHP I get 10 hours out of a set at least. I have noticed that they have 1-3 good uses and are a bit slower after that line any tire, but my last set was used for road and track days for almost 1 year and were still serviceable after that time.
Thank you, Kevin
Old 11-04-2017, 04:36 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 260 Posts

+1 on the RE71Rs, Rick--they do wear quickly (don't ask how many I went through this year in all conditions) but short of the aforementioned Hoosiers I think you'd do fine with them in limited use.

Gary
Old 11-04-2017, 08:30 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

On One Lap this year, it was clear that the Michelin PS 4S was significantly better than the Bridgestone in the wet, cold and wet/cold.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:07 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Thank you, Frank
How about cold weather? For example, we had frost at sunrise at VIR a week ago.
Fair point. I wouldn’t run Hoosiers or any other tire like it under 40deg.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:07 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cosm3os
On One Lap this year, it was clear that the Michelin PS 4S was significantly better than the Bridgestone in the wet, cold and wet/cold.
Can you elaborate on this?
Thanks
Old 11-04-2017, 10:22 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Just buy a set of H2O rubber, they're amazing.

Per Hoosier on cooler track days:

Freeze Crack Advisory: This advisory addresses proper storage and use of Hoosier tires in cold conditions. Hoosier Tires, especially asphalt and hard compound
tires, may experience Rubber Cracking if the tires are transported, crushed, flexed or stressed when frozen. The following guidelines are provided to avoid this
problem.
1. Always store Hoosier Racing Tires indoors at temperatures above 32˚ F.
2. If tires have been subject to 32˚ F or less, allow them to warm to room temperature (about 70˚ F) for a minimum of 24 hrs before the tire is mounted,
transported or flexed.
3. Always use spare tires not intended for future competition to store vehicles for prolonged periods of time or winter transport.
4. If below freezing temperatures are expected, please consider shipping tires once more favorable conditions exist.
Do not use tires that have evidence of Freeze Crack Damage.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:23 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Can you elaborate on this?
Thanks
Here are the results from the wet skid pad. It was cold that morning, too. We finished 9th in a bone stock 997C2S. This was a mid pack car all week. Look at the stuff we beat!

http://www.onelapofamerica.com/event...153&eventId=37

Everyone at the event agreed the 4S was the tire to have in the wet/cold. The Bridgestone had more cornering grip in the dry.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:33 AM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey Rick, I ran the PS4s at the end of this year (thought I was trading the car in earlier) and actually was able to run at Mosport in the rain without any issues when guys with Hoosiers wouldn't go out. I know some guys were running PS4's/super sports in the wet at LCMT as well. Obviously in the dry they are few seconds slower than most but allow you to have a great rain/cold morning tire combo. (And to be honest surprised me how good they were in the dry as well - but they do scream at you when pushed.). As mentioned by a few people above other than wet racing slicks they seem to be a great compromise.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:38 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Paddy
Just buy a set of H2O rubber, they're amazing.

Per Hoosier on cooler track days:

Freeze Crack Advisory: This advisory addresses proper storage and use of Hoosier tires in cold conditions. Hoosier Tires, especially asphalt and hard compound
tires, may experience Rubber Cracking if the tires are transported, crushed, flexed or stressed when frozen. The following guidelines are provided to avoid this
problem.
1. Always store Hoosier Racing Tires indoors at temperatures above 32˚ F.
2. If tires have been subject to 32˚ F or less, allow them to warm to room temperature (about 70˚ F) for a minimum of 24 hrs before the tire is mounted,
transported or flexed.
3. Always use spare tires not intended for future competition to store vehicles for prolonged periods of time or winter transport.
4. If below freezing temperatures are expected, please consider shipping tires once more favorable conditions exist.
Do not use tires that have evidence of Freeze Crack Damage.
Thanks
I had always thought that Hoosier wets were not suitable for cool an/or drying conditions.
Looks like it may be suitable for the damp/drying conditions, less so for days that start cold.
Thoughts on that are appreciated.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:04 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks
I had always thought that Hoosier wets were not suitable for cool an/or drying conditions.
Looks like it may be suitable for the damp/drying conditions, less so for days that start cold.
Thoughts on that are appreciated.
No - you will easily blister them in damp conditions. When there is no spray off cars, that’s my sign to take them off.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:13 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
No - you will easily blister them in damp conditions. When there is no spray off cars, that’s my sign to take them off.
Thank you, Frank
I think I am looking for an easier-to-manage tire rather than the ultimate in wet performance. So, a wet race tire as noted is probably not my right choice. A competent street tire should do the trick.

Quick Reply: Damp to wet track tire recommendations