Sponsored by:

Damp to wet track tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 04:30 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi Rick,

I was running Michelin PS4S's on my 991.1 C4S at that VIR event last weekend - worked reasonably well both on that frosty Friday morning and on Sunday in pretty wet conditions.

Given I'm in yellow run group I might not know as well so that's the disclaimer, but I had an instructor (red group driver) who was running the same tires on his 991 C2S, he also seemed pretty happy about the cold & wet performance of the tire (not so much about regular dry grip, but I think that's expected).
Old 11-04-2017, 04:43 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
Hi Rick,

I was running Michelin PS4S's on my 991.1 C4S at that VIR event last weekend - worked reasonably well both on that frosty Friday morning and on Sunday in pretty wet conditions.

Given I'm in yellow run group I might not know as well so that's the disclaimer, but I had an instructor (red group driver) who was running the same tires on his 991 C2S, he also seemed pretty happy about the cold & wet performance of the tire (not so much about dry grip, but I think that's expected).
Thanks for the info; and yes, even yellow run group drivers have insight to share. 😉
That was the NNJR event, right? I was there and it's a good example of the weather I would like to be ready for.
That Friday frost was a reminder that even in the south we can have overnight cold that makes the R Compound tires unsuitable.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:09 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Thanks for the info; and yes, even yellow run group drivers have insight to share. 😉
That was the NNJR event, right? I was there and it's a good example of the weather I would like to be ready for.
That Friday frost was a reminder that even in the south we can have overnight cold that makes the R Compound tires unsuitable.
Well thank you-

Yes this is the NNJR event I was talking about. That Friday morning did make me rethink extending the season into late October, showing up at the track in pitch black darkness, high thirties w frost on the ground.

I thought Sunday was a blast too to be honest, and given the awd street car with street tires, I figured if anybody should be staying it'd be me - then I saw the Viper ACR going out into the rainstorm. That was pretty bold - I should've asked what tires he was running.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:01 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well thank you-

Yes this is the NNJR event I was talking about. That Friday morning did make me rethink extending the season into late October, showing up at the track in pitch black darkness, high thirties w frost on the ground.

I thought Sunday was a blast too to be honest, and given the awd street car with street tires, I figured if anybody should be staying it'd be me - then I saw the Viper ACR going out into the rainstorm. That was pretty bold - I should've asked what tires he was running.
Don't give up on that event and time of year. We've had some great weather there.
A few of us do an early April event there as well as late October; coming from the northeast they function as great season extenders.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:11 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

SST (my race shop) is recommending the Michelin Super Sport, the tire I used (and liked a lot) on my 993.
I think that is a good recommendation and am following it.
Thanks for the many suggestions
Old 11-07-2017, 12:20 AM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
SST (my race shop) is recommending the Michelin Super Sport, the tire I used (and liked a lot) on my 993.
I think that is a good recommendation and am following it.
Thanks for the many suggestions

Rick they recently stopped making the Super Sport and its replacement is the PS4 which is very similar but even better as its an evolution of the Super Sport. I'm sure SST will tell you the same.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:15 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

damp to wet or sprinkles? Nobody uses dot-r dry tire with grooves like NT-01 or R888? If allowed I really like to hand cut hoosiers. They are very confidence inspiring and make a great inter.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:09 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kirkeym
Rick they recently stopped making the Super Sport and its replacement is the PS4 which is very similar but even better as its an evolution of the Super Sport. I'm sure SST will tell you the same.
Thanks for that update - I think I recall PS4/Super Sport being mentioned and missed the reference.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:05 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

If it is wet conditions, stay in paddock and have coffee and a chit chat with friends on how fast you are in the dry
Old 11-08-2017, 08:19 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by roketman
If it is wet conditions, stay in paddock and have coffee and a chit chat with friends on how fast you are in the dry
Apparently you've been watching me...
Old 11-08-2017, 09:58 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by roketman
Some of my most memorable track days have come in the wet--one misty day at the Glen with the fog rolling in and out reminded me of all those European endurance races I've seen on film.....

Then there was the day at Mid-O where it was raining so hard I encountered pairs of animals on the back straight

Gary
Old 11-12-2017, 07:20 PM
mdsarch
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 63 Posts

Well thank you-

Yes this is the NNJR event I was talking about. That Friday morning did make me rethink extending the season into late October, showing up at the track in pitch black darkness,.
That wasn’t normal but less risky than the PCA event next weekend: mid-November at VIR - hoping for the weather to stay like it is, low 50’s.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:14 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

By the end this season my R7 budget was killing me so I bought a set of NT01 tires for warm ups and to mess around on. I used them while leaning how to drive the car with the yaw sensor disabled (full cut on PSM), at slower speeds. While I didn’t love the sizes available for 19 inch rims I did love the cost savings and the fun factor went up since I had some tires I could torture at will! I’ve never been a particular fan of the Nittos, at least not as a primary tire, but without chasing lap times over-driving them was a hoot.

I also run a set of street tires for rain. Had done PSS, which are now worn, so going with PS4 in the spring.

So I’m going to keep trying 3 tire config in the spring. I’m thinking of trying the R888R instead of the NT01 though for my mess-around tire. Hopefully it won’t delaminate on me!

Rick, I think your car will overwhelm the Pilot Sport tires in the dry. It can still be fun but don’t expect it to be anything close to the R7s. The first dry laps on the PSS I thought my brakes had failed (strange noises and slow stopping). It was just the street tires yelling as the brakes and suspension trounced them. If you don’t like the experience there are quite a few higher performing street tires out there (AD08r, Cup2, re71r) that can handle water and cold.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:32 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Difool
By the end this season my R7 budget was killing me so I bought a set of NT01 tires for warm ups and to mess around on. I used them while leaning how to drive the car with the yaw sensor disabled (full cut on PSM), at slower speeds. While I didn’t love the sizes available for 19 inch rims I did love the cost savings and the fun factor went up since I had some tires I could torture at will! I’ve never been a particular fan of the Nittos, at least not as a primary tire, but without chasing lap times over-driving them was a hoot.

I also run a set of street tires for rain. Had done PSS, which are now worn, so going with PS4 in the spring.

So I’m going to keep trying 3 tire config in the spring. I’m thinking of trying the R888R instead of the NT01 though for my mess-around tire. Hopefully it won’t delaminate on me!

Rick, I think your car will overwhelm the Pilot Sport tires in the dry. It can still be fun but don’t expect it to be anything close to the R7s. The first dry laps on the PSS I thought my brakes had failed (strange noises and slow stopping). It was just the street tires yelling as the brakes and suspension trounced them. If you don’t like the experience there are quite a few higher performing street tires out there (AD08r, Cup2, re71r) that can handle water and cold.
Thanks for the thought
Primarily for damp and possibly cool weather, both with diminished expectations.

Quick Reply: Damp to wet track tire recommendations