Sponsored by:

Fernando Alonso confirmed for Dayton 24 hrs in January

Old 10-27-2017, 12:00 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,865 Likes on 1,706 Posts
Default Fernando Alonso confirmed for Dayton 24 hrs in January

26 October 2017 – Fernando Alonso will make his debut at the Daytona 24 Hours next year with United Autosports, the team co-owned and chaired by McLaren chief Zak Brown, the operation confirmed on Thursday.

Alonso hinted during the United States Grand Prix weekend that he was receptive to competing in the endurance event, and United Autosports announced on Thursday that Alonso will race for the team in January.

Alonso will pilot a Ligier JS P217 alongside McLaren-backed F3 champion Lando Norris and Phil Hanson.

It will be Alonso's debut in prototype sports car racing, with the official test scheduled for January 5 to 7, ahead of the 24-hour race across January 26/27.

"What an exciting and interesting project," said Alonso, whose confirmation of a 2018 McLaren Formula 1 deal was announced last week.

"Learning about a completely new racing category, adapting to a different car and to another style of driving and everything that goes with it, is a new challenge for me and I can't wait to test myself again as a driver.

"The Daytona 24 Hours is the most iconic US endurance race and one of the world's great races.

"Everyone knows it. It's not part of the Triple Crown but, as I have always said, my aim is to be a complete driver and this experience will help me in the preparation for any other endurance race I might take part in.

"Before I went to Indy, I had never driven on an oval, now I know what an oval is and how to deal with it. I am excited to go back and race in America.

"After the great time I had during the month of May for the Indy 500, I am looking forward to taking part in another legendary race that will bring back all those amazing sensations that US fans gave me.

"Also, this race happens at a convenient time, in January, when our F1 season is off and we are mainly working on our physical preparation. It will be good to get behind a wheel again!

"Thanks to United Autosports for having offered me this opportunity and thanks to McLaren for supporting me in this new exciting adventure."

Current Williams reserve driver Paul di Resta and Will Owen will pilot United Autosport's other Ligier JS P217.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:53 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,571 Posts

That is very cool. Alonso has mellowed somewhat in more recent years and I enjoy his driving and his humor.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:01 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
That is very cool. Alonso has mellowed somewhat in more recent years and I enjoy his driving and his humor.
Fantastic--this hearkens back to days gone by when drivers drove everything--I've read stories about Clark driving F1, then F2 (they weren't that far apart back then), then going off and driving in a sports car or saloon car race someplace. And he very often won all of them!

Gary
Old 10-27-2017, 05:39 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

I'm sure that he will not have to pay but what's the going rate for a ride in a GT car these days?
Old 10-27-2017, 05:46 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
Fantastic--this hearkens back to days gone by when drivers drove everything--I've read stories about Clark driving F1, then F2 (they weren't that far apart back then), then going off and driving in a sports car or saloon car race someplace. And he very often won all of them!

Gary
Exactly. It's amazing that Hulkenburg won Le Mans last year but he has never been on the podium in F1.

Would like to see more of this going on.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:06 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

I was historically never an Alonso fan but in the past few years I've grown to really like him and cheer for him. I think what he did at Indy was extraordinary. I love the fact that he just wants to get out there and race all sorts of stuff. Very unusual in today's world.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,395 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I was historically never an Alonso fan but in the past few years I've grown to really like him and cheer for him. I think what he did at Indy was extraordinary. I love the fact that he just wants to get out there and race all sorts of stuff. Very unusual in today's world.
Agreed
Old 10-27-2017, 09:03 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

jesus, with the chops and connections i would imagine you have winning a world championship, i'd be trying to weasel my way into anything requiring a driver. perhaps the space shuttle or a nuke sub included......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fernando Alonso confirmed for Dayton 24 hrs in January