Sponsored by:

New to DE: fire safety questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 10:15 PM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Default New to DE: fire safety questions

Had my first track experience a cpl of weeks ago with HOD and absolutely loved it (this will surprise all of you already suffering from this addiction). Stayed well within the limits of myself and the car, learned track protocol, focused on a good predictable line and being aware of surroundings. I was much more comfortable than I expected - no doubt helped by really good instructors and an extremely well run safety oriented event.

Wanting to do much more of it, and taking the advice from many of you, my immediate next step is safety in the car. Roll over protection, bucket seats, harness and a helmet that fits correctly are in process. In addition to a good tire pressure gauge and pyrometer to ensure the shoes are correctly in contact with the pavement.

While in our beginner briefing, a car in the very first group on track caught fire on the main straight right in front of us - good reminder that bad stuff can happen out of nowhere. Having thought a lot about this and how to be prepared I have a few questions related to fire safety:

1. Extinguisher: in the event of a fire.. isn’t it better to get the eff out and away as quickly as possible rather than wasting precious seconds unlatching an extinguisher? I am struggling to see the value in having an extinguisher for this reason (though do see the benefit of being to help someone else who may be trapped or in danger)

2. Insurance and fire: do the track day insurers cover fire if it is not caused by an accident? The fire we saw was a mechanical/electrical issue of some kind. If yes, wrt question 1) above, surely that is even more reason to simply get out and away quickly rather than trying to contain a fire?

3. Staying in the car: I understand getting out is extremely dangerous, but what is the trigger to get out given that so many accidents result in smoke/burning of some description? Get off the racing line, but stay off the dry grass if possible - then just wait for the track marshals? I would imagine that feels like a long time to sit and wait?

4. What about gloves, HANS restraint, and other safety? What makes sense while beginner/intermediate? Seems a tricky balance between being prudent and looking ridiculous?

Thanks to all of you that share your experiences.. I can’t imagine navigating this new sport without you!

Matty
Old 10-23-2017, 07:45 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Re fires:
YES GTFO ASAP

(Except if your egress is blocked: door crushed in/window frame mangled/other door jammed into tire wall ...THEN something catches fire. In that case grab your fire extinguisher and do the best you can.)
Old 10-23-2017, 08:23 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Even if you just see/smell smoke you should still get out because you don't know if there is fire and you just can't see it. You should always try to install/wear as much safety equipment as you can. Don't worry about looking like a poser if you wear a suit. Fire does not know it's a DE.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:57 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

If you run into a problem on the track and decide to cautiously get off the track into the grass (because that's your only option at the time) unlatch the fire extinguisher and hold it as you wait and be constantly looking for smoke in all 4 corners. Hot rotors can cause a grass fire and the little hand held extinguisher is enough to knock that out - but don't get out of the car until you see smoke.

I learned this flagging - at someone else's expense. Absolutely brilliant watching that guy.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:12 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Good thread.

I was in your position a couple years ago (and have sense fallen deep down the rabbit hole, thanks to HOD). Back then, someone recommended to me 3 things minimum - racing shoes, racing gloves, and a nomex balaclava. All three are available at most track shops and don't look out of place for beginners. I bought all of mine at a Thunderhill HOD event using their discount.

I'd also get a hans of some kind. The new ones designed for 6pt harnesses are small, lightweight, and fairly affordable.

And you won't look ridiculous with this stuff, especially with HOD. You'll look smart.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:32 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Wear a driver's suit.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:03 PM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

might as well just buy a race car now.....
Old 10-23-2017, 12:47 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by matt33
4. What about gloves, HANS restraint, and other safety? What makes sense while beginner/intermediate? Seems a tricky balance between being prudent and looking ridiculous?

Matty
just remember: at the end of the day the suit can be taken off, burn scars are permanent

my other favorite I heard on RL: the fire doesn't know its just practice...
Old 10-26-2017, 02:54 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

For insurance, assume you’re not covered. There may be exceptions - read your policy wording carefully. Most have an exclusion for anything on a racetrack surface or wording with very similar implications.

DE used to be covered by a few auto policies but today it seems to be the realm of specialty insurers only.

Probably the biggest difference between a race car and a street or track car is the safety equipment package is required for race cars.

You might rent one at your local track “arrive and drive” style and see what you think. I rented a Spec Boxster and now I’m building one.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:43 AM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
For insurance, assume you’re not covered. There may be exceptions - read your policy wording carefully. Most have an exclusion for anything on a racetrack surface or wording with very similar implications.

DE used to be covered by a few auto policies but today it seems to be the realm of specialty insurers.

Thanks for all the responses.. pretty clear theme consistent with my first instinct of get the eff out and away. I guess given that an extinguisher helps if you are trapped in the car and might buy a few minutes for help to arrive.

The insurance question was whether the track day insurers cover fire damage if caused by a mechanical failure (or ending up on dry grass that catches etc) as opposed to an accident? I would assume yes, but these insurance firms can be slippery creatures at the best of times!

Matty
Old 10-28-2017, 02:03 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the responses.. pretty clear theme consistent with my first instinct of get the eff out and away. I guess given that an extinguisher helps if you are trapped in the car and might buy a few minutes for help to arrive.

The insurance question was whether the track day insurers cover fire damage if caused by a mechanical failure (or ending up on dry grass that catches etc) as opposed to an accident? I would assume yes, but these insurance firms can be slippery creatures at the best of times!

Matty
Novice here, but read the policies last year.

Best I can tell scca has awesome coverage, even covers medical bills and track damage. Pca, fca, not so much. You are on the hook as far as I know...

I would gladly pay a higher pca fee for better coverage...
Old 10-28-2017, 06:27 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Matty
Contact the company that is providing the insurance. Most of the track day insurance company services are an agreed on price for your car and they will pay up to that amount to repair your car. If I were you I would purchase it. I saw a very nice brand new BMW get wadded up last weekend in the beginner group.

As far as fires are concerned, I agree that you should get out of the car as quickly as possible if your car catches on fire and carrying a fire extinguisher is not a bad habit to have. Where I will disagree is that most people who are at the entry level to HPDE are normally driving newer cars that are engineered not to catch fire. The cats will create grass fires (so do not stop in the grass if you do not have a choice) and that is about it.

Quick Reply: New to DE: fire safety questions