Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Caliper Rebuild - stainless pistons vs. aluminum?

Old 10-19-2017, 11:24 PM
dgm8138
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by futurz
Spending money on dust boots is a waste of money if all you ever do is track the car, which is what mine does. Mine were already cracking after the first day.
FWIW
After I replaced mine over last winter, they burned up after the first session of the first day I was back on track. I could've had a lot more fun blowing $100 than by burning up some seals.

Does anyone just leave these off their track car?
Old 10-20-2017, 11:13 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

I bought the SS pistons from RB. Installed them myself. The OEM pistons were badly pitted and the coating was peeling off. No issues after about 4 days at the track. I paid extra to install Brembo seals and dust boots. Spending money on dust boots is a waste of money if all you ever do is track the car, which is what mine does. Mine were already cracking after the first day.
FWIW
Originally Posted by dgm8138
After I replaced mine over last winter, they burned up after the first session of the first day I was back on track. I could've had a lot more fun blowing $100 than by burning up some seals.

Interesting.

The boots on mine are pretty well vaporized too. Didn't think new ones would burn up that quickly though?

@futurz - you said "Brembo seals and boots" - are you referencing the silicone boots that RB sells? Or just that you bought the seals elsewhere and made sure to buy Brembo branded?
Old 10-21-2017, 06:58 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought the SS pistons from RB and the seals/boots elsewhere. I paid premium to get Brembo stuff. Might be worth it for the seals, but that will be the last time I will buy dust boots, no matter who its' from.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:47 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

I bought the SS pistons from RB. Installed them myself. The OEM pistons were badly pitted and the coating was peeling off. No issues after about 4 days at the track. I paid extra to install Brembo seals and dust boots. Spending money on dust boots is a waste of money if all you ever do is track the car, which is what mine does. Mine were already cracking after the first day.
FWIW
Do you mean that the sides of the pistons were pitted? How old were the pistons? What type of coating is on the pistons that was peeling?
Old 10-26-2017, 09:03 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by dgm8138

Were you using the silicone "blue" high heat seals that RB sells? I know the stock ones burn up quickly, I wonder how the high heat ones hold up.

I just stumbled on this thread too...and earlier this week I just ordered everything (including SS pistons) from RB to rebuild my 996 C2 calipers this winter.

OP--FWIW if you call RB and order the full kit (seals, boots, pistons) they will give you bundled pricing that is not on their website. Saved me around $100 on the total.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:35 PM
serickson
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The pitting that I have seen on my OEM pistons seemed to be caused by bad dust seal that allowed water to come in contact with the area of the piston that was exposed. Never saw pitting where the piston is inside the caliper. I replaced OEM dust seals with Stoptech gray silicone and they have lasted for years of DE and racing. This would be my recommendation for dust seals.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:18 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by serickson
The pitting that I have seen on my OEM pistons seemed to be caused by bad dust seal that allowed water to come in contact with the area of the piston that was exposed. Never saw pitting where the piston is inside the caliper. I replaced OEM dust seals with Stoptech gray silicone and they have lasted for years of DE and racing. This would be my recommendation for dust seals.
Hey Steve! I think I saw your car @ Mark's the other day

-- Ptak
Old 10-26-2017, 04:42 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

It's my understanding the titanium is the better piston material.....
Old 10-27-2017, 06:45 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
It's my understanding the titanium is the better piston material.....
I've never seen titanium pistons at least for my 996 brakes. Titanium backing plates for the pad are out there. Certainly the stainless pistons from RB are better than the aluminum ones. Also they have "finger-like" contact points on the pad backings rather than a solid ring which likely transfers less heat as well. I've boiled my fronts on my 996 twice on the track...once on Superdot 4 fluid, once on ATE fluid. Now using SRF, expensive but worth every penny.

Last edited by Nickshu; 10-27-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:15 PM
futurz
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The coating on the OEM pistons literally flakes off. You can see the debris that collects in the caliper.
I don't know what the coating is made of.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:31 PM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i never replace the dust boots on my race cars when i rebuild the calipers; they burn right up after a day on track. also, the piston to caliper bore clearance is definitely the loosest when everything is cold; typically i'll see some weepage after being parked for a week on the wheel and thats when i know that the seals definitely need to be replaced. if i take the car out on track with the weepy seals they stop weeping as soon as the brakes get hot and are ok for the rest of the day (one time arrived at the track for a race and at that point saw the weepage and raced it anyway, so that's how i know). typically i can spot the weepage before a race weekend during the nut and bolt and go ahead and rebuild BEFORE the race! so, seal to piston clearance is definitely the biggest when cold and closes up when hot
Old 11-07-2017, 01:19 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Dust boot serves the purpose to prevent dust/water from going inside pistons thus can prolong the life of caliper seal and pistons (=caliper life)

RB blue boots are specially made of Silicon material (vs. standard boots of EPDM) for track applications, it can resist temperature up to 450 deg F (vs. EPDM 300 F), which is usually above most track applications so they will never got burnt our like standard boots. (Reminder: Must avoid contacting brake fluid during installation)

RB stainless steel pistons are machined from stainless steel bar stocks for high strength and rigidity under the heat. Its bores are featured with thin wall cut to reduce the weight gain over aluminum pistons.
The outer surface receives a very fine grinding before chrome plating and final lapping finish to maintain an ultra smooth mirror like surface with a tolerance of .0015", and a very hard surface that is highly resistant to corrosion and abrasion. Also added to the brake pad backing plate contact circular surface is the vent cut, which not only can reduce the heat transfer to the caliper but also help in brake release.

None of these feature can a conventional OE aluminum piston, nor expensive Titanium piston offer.

A lot of "details" is working into our caliper rebuild components to ensure your Porsche calipers can be rebuilt with only 3 simple components; Piston, Seal, Boot, no matter how OE calipers constructions are. And after rebuild you'll know why your OE calipers can not only perform better, but also last a lot longer.

We are shipping OE caliper rebuilt kits daily (most are track customers) for many years and yet to see any customer that needs to "rebuild" their calipers after rebuilding with RB components.

http://www.racingbrake.com/category-s/7185.htm

Last edited by RacingBrake; 11-07-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:09 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Illustration to RB SS Pistons:

Last edited by RacingBrake; 11-09-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:53 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

^^^ I just got my SS pistons from RacingBrake. They are very nice looking and appear well finished. Measuring w/ my dial caliper shows very consistent surface.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:28 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I run 6 piston front gt3 and 4 piston rear gt3 on my 951 with racing brake's SS pots for the last couple years and they have worked out fantastic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Rebuild - stainless pistons vs. aluminum?