Sponsored by:

Cayman using aftermarket dampers w/out reservoirs

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 06:26 PM
dgm8138
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman using aftermarket dampers w/out reservoirs

I briefly tried a search through this forum and found nothing on this topic. Sorry if I missed something!

Are those w/aftermarket dampers w/out reservoirs on their 987 finding any issues related to the rear's proximity to the exhaust tubing?

I was recently told by one damper manufacturer that they will not sell their dampers w/out reservoirs for application on the 987 because of this issue.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:42 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Spec Cayman's run without remotes with no problems.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:10 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by dgm8138
I briefly tried a search through this forum and found nothing on this topic. Sorry if I missed something!

Are those w/aftermarket dampers w/out reservoirs on their 987 finding any issues related to the rear's proximity to the exhaust tubing?

I was recently told by one damper manufacturer that they will not sell their dampers w/out reservoirs for application on the 987 because of this issue.
That sounds like MCS. I went with the remote reservoirs and liked the result. With the remotes you can do all adjustments within the front or rear trunk.
Attached Images     
Old 10-18-2017, 07:32 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Never had any issues when I had non reservoir shocks but I have always wrapped my over axle pipes though.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:41 PM
dgm8138
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
That sounds like MCS. I went with the remote reservoirs and liked the result. With the remotes you can do all adjustments within the front or rear trunk.
Yup. It was MCS. They have been extremely helpful otherwise advice-wise. I just question the necessity of reservoirs to combat this issue. Nevertheless, I am sure reservoirs are nice to have.

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Never had any issues when I had non reservoir shocks but I have always wrapped my over axle pipes though.
My thought exactly...the engineer in me can't help but wonder about a far more cost effective option like this one.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:55 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have PSS9 dampers and no heat shields on my exhaust. I replaced my headers with cat-less headers and do not use any exhaust wrap.
Heat from the exhaust to the dampers is not a problem. There is a lot of air flowing through that area and the dampers do not get hot from the exhaust while the car is moving.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:00 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

The damper makes lots of heat on its own. There are ways to deal with operating Temps that don't require remote resorvoirs. I'm not sure the remote reservoir would make much difference anyway. The piston and shims in the shock is still doing the majority of the work.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:03 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
I have PSS9 dampers and no heat shields on my exhaust. I replaced my headers with cat-less headers and do not use any exhaust wrap.
Heat from the exhaust to the dampers is not a problem. There is a lot of air flowing through that area and the dampers do not get hot from the exhaust while the car is moving.
On a Cayman? The rear dampers actually get very hot by themselves and from the over axles pipes, especially without an exhaust wrap. I would highly recommend a simple exhaust wrap in that area.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:40 AM
zadar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The damper makes lots of heat on its own. There are ways to deal with operating Temps that don't require remote resorvoirs. I'm not sure the remote reservoir would make much difference anyway. The piston and shims in the shock is still doing the majority of the work.
Reservoir will increase oil volume which helps.

Quick Reply: Cayman using aftermarket dampers w/out reservoirs