Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are the various HPDE groups being strict enough moving people down and banning them?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 03:04 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
Well, I don't HAVE to be, but I do TRY to be....I'm on street tires so I can pretty much go like hell right away. It's like Custer getting a few free laps in before the Injuns come

Gary
I don't try to line up first but I often line up on the early side because if I come out last the front of the line will be coming up on me pretty quickly and then I never get clean laps. If I go out early and point the fast guys by in the first lap I get several clean laps or maybe the rest of the session depending on car counts and size of the track.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:09 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Fennell
I have never been to a PCA event, so I am just talking in general.
Aha! Might have been easier if you could've stated this info when asked without naming the others you do participate with. While in general DE organizations try not to differ too much from each other, some do.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:11 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Be that as it may in regards to timing equipment (AIM, phone, etc). Now you are asking the event coordinators to collect (historical?) data from each and then place them on grid in a certain order as suggested by MarcD147. That is akin to a clubrace and NOT a DE. What about the fast ones that don't have/use timing equipment?
You open that can of worms and now you are taking the risk of possibly running afoul of the insurance, etc.

On top of that you are asking for a shuffling based on time between groups that is variable. In a case like COTA which is sold out you are now advocating a lot of additional work for the volunteers.
That is not what I said.

I said that when one goes to an unfamiliar track one should be placed in the run group below what they are normally in. For example if you are Yellow (or however your club differentiates driver ability) drop to Blue for a couple of sessions to get acquainted with the track.

As far as not a timed event, while not official most of the drivers at these events know their lap times and are comparing them. I am not asking the event to collect data or any other such nonsense.

As far as COTA is concerned it is not a very good HPDE track.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:51 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Part of the challenge of COTA specifically is not so much track design...
Rather, it's that it really seems to appeal to some folks with outsized egos who assume wallet + HP = talent and entitlement. This leads to the problem the OP outlined.
That said, since COTA is by far the most expensive track to rent in North America, event organizers are under enormous financial pressure to attract and retain numbers. IMO this hinders the normal weeding out process of the arseholes that happens at many other "destination" tracks like Daytona and the Glen.

JMHO
Very interesting observation.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:02 PM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 177mph
Very interesting observation.
I agree, I think it really nails down much of the issue.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:13 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
Well, I don't HAVE to be, but I do TRY to be....I'm on street tires so I can pretty much go like hell right away. It's like Custer getting a few free laps in before the Injuns come

Gary

That's funny
Old 10-17-2017, 05:31 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rlm328
The people who have never been to a track IMHO should be moved down 1 level for the morning sessions so they can figure breaking points, turn in points best apex for their driving style etc.

As you say it is not a timed event, but I will bet that 95% of the cars in the upper run group are using some type of data acquisition that includes lap times.
Originally Posted by rlm328
That is not what I said.

I said that when one goes to an unfamiliar track one should be placed in the run group below what they are normally in. For example if you are Yellow (or however your club differentiates driver ability) drop to Blue for a couple of sessions to get acquainted with the track.

As far as not a timed event, while not official most of the drivers at these events know their lap times and are comparing them. I am not asking the event to collect data or any other such nonsense.

As far as COTA is concerned it is not a very good HPDE track.
No flame, but when you are talking about roughly knowing times that means that you are talking about people that have run the track and not the newcomers fulfilling a bucket list item. Also COTA is full in the run groups. Moving someone between groups will mean that you need to leave room in the groups and quite possibly forgo financial compensation; or exceed your self imposed limits.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:59 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
No flame, but when you are talking about roughly knowing times that means that you are talking about people that have run the track and not the newcomers fulfilling a bucket list item. Also COTA is full in the run groups. Moving someone between groups will mean that you need to leave room in the groups and quite possibly forgo financial compensation; or exceed your self imposed limits.
Perceptive and correct.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:33 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Fennell

1. There are a few people every day that don't care about the rules and are just passing whenever they want because they have more HP.

2. People in the top run group who are ~ 20+ seconds off the pace.

3. People who won't point by. I am sure this is a problem everywhere, but there are always people who take most of a lap to point you by or build up a big ole train.

Does anyone disagree?
Yes the solution is very simple. All you have to do if lower groups frustrate you is advance to "open passing no point-by group" or start racing.

All issues of who is faster or who is better is always settled during a race.

And in open passing no one should complain. If you can't pass...learn how.

There is always the hot pit and the starter will put you back out in a different spacing.

Why do drivers not take control over their own destiny? Why do drivers have to make their problem other people's problem?

If I want to listen to whining I got a wife for that.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:29 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

The issues you highlight occur at every DE however things usually sort themselves out by the 3rd session (I.e., the first afternoon session on Day 1). In the first 2 sessions, drivers typically "size" each other up. You will know the 2-3 cars that are clearly way faster than you, the 1-2 cars that are the "slow cars" and the remaining cars you are competitive with. Most drivers give quick point byes to those 2-3 cars that they know are clearly faster. The 1-2 really "slow" cars usually give quick enough point byes however trains form when they don't give MULTIPLE point byes in passing zones.

Usually a courteous polite conversation with the driver in the paddock is all it takes. Just encourage the driver to give multiple point byes...many drivers are not comfortable giving MULTIPLE point byes in a single passing zone as it kills their momentum.

I can't speak for the behavior at COTA but at most tracks that I attend, most passing issues resolve themselves by the afternoon of Day One!
Old 10-18-2017, 11:34 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that part of the problem is the way many people pull up behind the slower car right behind their rear bumper. They tend to lose their own momentum before getting a point by, so the guy in the high HP car just gasses it and pulls away. If I am quicker through the corner, I will proceed to exit the corner in a manner to execute a racing pass. If I am past the slow guy's bumper and even with his side mirrors, he usually gets the hint and points me by. If he doesn't, I back off and pull back in line behind him for the next corner. If I exit my turn like most, directly behind the slower driver and pull up to his bumper, by the time he points, I have already lost my advantage because I can't accelerate fully. I found it better to presume the point by is coming, driving the appropriate line coming out of the turn, and pulling right up along side. It is safe, I'm not crowding him, and if he doesn't point, I just lift and move in behind him.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:33 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
I think that part of the problem is the way many people pull up behind the slower car right behind their rear bumper. They tend to lose their own momentum before getting a point by, so the guy in the high HP car just gasses it and pulls away. If I am quicker through the corner, I will proceed to exit the corner in a manner to execute a racing pass. If I am past the slow guy's bumper and even with his side mirrors, he usually gets the hint and points me by. If he doesn't, I back off and pull back in line behind him for the next corner. If I exit my turn like most, directly behind the slower driver and pull up to his bumper, by the time he points, I have already lost my advantage because I can't accelerate fully. I found it better to presume the point by is coming, driving the appropriate line coming out of the turn, and pulling right up along side. It is safe, I'm not crowding him, and if he doesn't point, I just lift and move in behind him.
In theory, if the driver to be passed paid attention in the driver's meeting, that should be the best; car to be passed stays online. But invariably you get that driver that thinks he is doing you a favor by going offline before giving you the point by.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:29 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
The issues you highlight occur at every DE however things usually sort themselves out by the 3rd session (I.e., the first afternoon session on Day 1). In the first 2 sessions, drivers typically "size" each other up. You will know the 2-3 cars that are clearly way faster than you, the 1-2 cars that are the "slow cars" and the remaining cars you are competitive with. Most drivers give quick point byes to those 2-3 cars that they know are clearly faster. The 1-2 really "slow" cars usually give quick enough point byes however trains form when they don't give MULTIPLE point byes in passing zones.

Usually a courteous polite conversation with the driver in the paddock is all it takes. Just encourage the driver to give multiple point byes...many drivers are not comfortable giving MULTIPLE point byes in a single passing zone as it kills their momentum.

I can't speak for the behavior at COTA but at most tracks that I attend, most passing issues resolve themselves by the afternoon of Day One!
my thoughts evactly. I track my RS, it’s easy to see. After the first few sessions,as most people are more focused on learning the track, everyone eventually knows what cars are quicker/slower and it all tends to work itself out. First few sessions, points are few and late. As day goes on it’s much smoother.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:58 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,586 Posts

The flip side of this conversation is that people get nervous and sometimes gravitate to the groups and regions that are not as tough on which run group you drive in. No one likes to be demoted so I think a big part of the problem is with people not being honest with themselves about their ability.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:00 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
No one likes to be demoted so I think a big part of the problem is with people not being honest with themselves about their ability.
Bingo. This is pretty common, especially with drivers that have good competence on ONE or TWO tracks, when they go to a new place.

Most of the folks I work with are pretty realistic and would rather be looking ahead than behind.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Are the various HPDE groups being strict enough moving people down and banning them?