Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   PCA Trophy East Race Series Announcement for 2018 (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1029400-pca-trophy-east-race-series-announcement-for-2018-a.html)

Viperbob1 10-12-2017 11:56 PM

PCA Trophy East Race Series Announcement for 2018

Announcing the 2018 PCA Trophy East series

Many of you are aware of the semi-pro series PCA Club Racing (CR) has been running alongside our regular race series - the Cayman GT4 Clubsport Trophy East series. We are making some changes, the most significant is expanding the 2018 series to include the 997.2 and 991.1 911 GT3 Cup cars (PCA CR GTC5 and GTC6). This formula has proven viable in other parts of the country, and promotes increased participation. The goal is to host 35-40 cars next year. The races will all be at familiar sports car racing venues. While adding a new, faster group of cars, we will retain what we believe are the core values of the series, which include:

• A series for experienced drivers, either as a stepping stone to the next level, or for drivers who don’t want to deal with the expense of a true Pro series
• Managed costs through tire rules and minimizing the need for large at-track crews
• Relaxed 13/13 rule
• Continuity between series races - same racers, familiar officials
• Support and coaching from well-known professional racer, and really great guy, David Murry
• At-track technical support
• Close, but respectful racing
• The great camaraderie developed between racers, teams and officials

While details are still being worked out, we can provide some information to give you an idea of what to expect. The series will be 6, or possibly 7, events. Agreements are being negotiated with individual PCA regions, but all events will be on tracks that regularly hold professional races (as seen on TV!). Reducing the number of races from the 8 we ran in 2017 allows us the opportunity to space them more conveniently, and also leaves a bit of time for racers to run their favorite PCA CR outside the series.

We are very excited about being able to extend this format to a larger group of participants. Stay tuned for more details, which will be coming soon. If you are interested in running the 2018 PCA Trophy East series, contact West Dillard (GT4CS@PCA.org).

MarcD147 10-13-2017 02:34 PM

isn't the 991.1 way faster than a gt4cs???

ProCoach 10-13-2017 03:31 PM

This works very,very well on the West Coast. Should be a boon for all participants.

Pretty homogeneous race group, all with factory built cars.

Marc, it depends on the driver... :D

Seriously, a split start is easy and if you start the 981 cars behind the 991/997 cars, everyone has good clean laps until well after they spread out.

RSRRacer 10-13-2017 06:51 PM

I have an email out with one reply so far and awaiting another. Here is the email chain:

Dear West:

I received the email below re: new PCA Trophy East series. For the last 3 years I have raced in PCA with a 991.1 cup. I have questions about this new series;

1) When will track venues be announced.
2) How will race classes work when the venue is held in conjunction with regular PCA race. For example Road Atlanta, will there still be the “regular” C6 class or will everyone with a 991.1 cup have to enter the Trophy group? Or could you do both?
3) How is tire contingency $$$ and tire restrictions set up? Limit to number of sets of tires?
4) Entry fees and race durations?

Reply:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for you interest in the program.

We have commitments from 5 regions/tracks now. I need to lock down one or 2 more and hope to be able ot announce the schedule at the Clubsport Championship Banquet at Daytona at the end of the month.

There will still be regular GTC classes at all races. Racers can run either or both.

Drivers are limited to 3 sets of tires for the weekend for qualifying and the 3 races. Practice tires are free.

Entry fees will be about $13 - 15K for the full season which will be 6-7 races, each with 2 30 min sprints and an 80 min enduro.

The major difference between this and a regular PCA race weekend are fewer meetings (1 Principals meeting that Gordon attends, and 1 driver’s meeting) and the relaxed 13/13, where at fault incidents that are not egregious are punished by a 10 spot grid penalty in the next points race. There is also more technical scrutiny.

We, too, have some concerns about the impact to the regular fields, but in the end, we believe we will be growing the club race program, regardless of which class folks choose to run in.

West

Dear West,

Are the Spec tires the same Pirelli tires as used in C6? Is there going to be the tire award contingency as in C6?

Will PCA publish a list of the interested or semi-committed entrants prior to making the entry fee non refundable?

Viperbob1 10-13-2017 08:43 PM

This could be really interesting. I have a couple customers already interested in sort of a next level....

RSA964993 10-13-2017 11:03 PM

The question is will this bring additional racers to PCA? If not, it's just moving GTC5 and GTC6 racers to Clubsport. It would be great if it brings more 991/997.2 into PCA racing so it's more competitive for the GTC5/6 group. Otherwise it's just the same group with less traffic.

Viperbob1 10-14-2017 10:12 AM

Remains to be seen how successful. I am optimistic. If nothing else I am happy to see PCA trying new things to expand Club Racing...

Veloce Raptor 10-14-2017 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
Remains to be seen how successful. I am optimistic. If nothing else I am happy to see PCA trying new things to expand Club Racing...

+1

ProCoach 10-14-2017 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by RSA964993 (Post 14534988)
The question is will this bring additional racers to PCA? If not, it's just moving GTC5 and GTC6 racers to Clubsport. It would be great if it brings more 991/997.2 into PCA racing so it's more competitive for the GTC5/6 group. Otherwise it's just the same group with less traffic.

Certainly, that’s the goal.

Contrary to popular belief, PCA Club Racing is not the default, go-to venue for every person who aspires and ultimately acquires one of these three types of cars. I see a lot of people coming in with one of these three that would like the camaraderie and collegial atmosphere that this series might provide.

I see a fair number of people interested in increasing the traffic density and, as pointed out before, it’s being done on the West Coast.

I hope it works, for sure.

tcsracing1 10-14-2017 07:00 PM

trophy east

I am looking forward to the 2018 season.

I will still run my GT4CS in the series for 2018, however I like the idea of being able to move my way up to a 991 Cup in trophy east series format if so desired. Staying within the same group and team is a nice concept.

It should be an interesting home for GTC5 and GTC6. No 13/13 in a special run group.

In regards to the addition of GT3 Cup cars to the series, it is due to the fact that we wont see the new 718 GT4CS until Christmas 2018. There is only limited selection of pre owned 981 GT4 clubsport cars to feed the series for 2018 and to keep the series budgets, additional cars are welcomed.

Competent GT3 Cup Trophy series are already having success with this format on the west coast. It is also an interesting way to have a battle of the east vs.west for one event... :thumbsup:

It was great to see trophy east competitors also in PWC and IMSA this year with their GT4 Clubsports.

Might be interesting to see if any new trophy east 991.1 Cup competitors will also try a couple of IMSA GT3 Cup events for 2018.

Viperbob1 10-15-2017 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by tcsracing1 (Post 14536091)
Might be interesting to see if any new trophy east 991.1 Cup competitors will also try a couple of IMSA GT3 Cup events for 2018.

That is true. If not for the Tire difference between IMSA and PCA I would bet you would get 2-4 extra cars per event who are GT3 Cup drivers getting in some practice.

Nizer 10-15-2017 06:32 PM

dup

Nizer 10-15-2017 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by RSRRacer (Post 14534581)

2) How will race classes work when the venue is held in conjunction with regular PCA race. For example Road Atlanta, will there still be the “regular” C6 class or will everyone with a 991.1 cup have to enter the Trophy group? Or could you do both?

Just to clarify further on Chris' question and the response, will GTC6 and Trophy East 991.1 Cup run simultaneously on track and if so what does that mean for more restrictive GTC6 13/13 rule?

tkerrmd 10-16-2017 09:47 AM

nice option, good for PCA!

Viperbob1 10-16-2017 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Nizer (Post 14537615)
Just to clarify further on Chris' question and the response, will GTC6 and Trophy East 991.1 Cup run simultaneously on track and if so what does that mean for more restrictive GTC6 13/13 rule?

They do not run simultaneously. The Trophy East is a totally separate run group. As it has been, it was only GT4s running on track during their session.