Just bought my first trailer and.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 11:39 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Also, horse, barn door.

Yeah but retrofit is no big deal. Its just parts. Surge works fine no question. electrics just go to the next level and allow a knowledgeable user to go furthur. My wife who does not tow unless on flat ground freeway and I'm taking a nap as we go down the road...heck set it and forget it. But as the OP slips down the slippery slope electric brakes are in your future.

Someone also commented on the MDX. I agree. Next stop more tow vehicle. When you have a tow vehicle that is overkill for your trailer your anxiety level goes to zero. You never worry about weather, wind, hills, or any of that nonsense. I went from various gas vehicles to a 4x4 diesel pickup truck. Now that I have diesel I'm never going back and I prefer my diesel as a daily driver too. There is nothing I can't do with a diesel pickup truck.

Oh and as far as park or neutral in BMW's there is a shift lock key. Some models you have to rig a kludge to access it and then the car will be in neutral. I would always town in neutral. I'm sure the cayman has a way to go to neutral. As a trackcar you want to have easy access to this key or button that may be under the console fascia. You want access in case your car dies on track for some reason so you can get flat towed off track
Old 10-12-2017, 11:44 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Make sure you know which roads in the NY metro area are off limits to trailers. Might not be much of a concern for you but us Long Islanders have a lot of those to deal with. Also a lot of highways restrict trailers from the left lane, pay attention to those signs
Old 10-12-2017, 11:56 AM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All great tips. With a Trailex, make sure you are really hooked onto the ball as it can look like you are but really not.

The first time you trailer can be stressful but once you get there, unload and un-hitch, all will be good. Take a deep breath, pat yourself on the back and relax.

The relax part is really important because as you know, I am your Instructor at Lightning.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:05 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by TAI2
unload and un-hitch
IN THAT ORDER!!!
Old 10-12-2017, 12:07 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

All great tips. With a Trailex, make sure you are really hooked onto the ball as it can look like you are but really not.

The first time you trailer can be stressful but once you get there, unload and un-hitch, all will be good. Take a deep breath, pat yourself on the back and relax.

The relax part is really important because as you know, I am your Instructor at Lightning.

Thanks T. Deep breath. Yes.

Are there any roads between North jersey and NJMP that I should avoid or just take the normal route? (17 South to GSP South to NJTP, etc..)

Are there any roads along the route I should know about that could be of concern? I am very nervous about this first trip. Thanks...
Old 10-12-2017, 12:21 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

You never know who you'll meet on rennlist.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:48 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

Sounds like you're doing all the right things, and kudos to you for all the practicing. It will surely pay off. Lots of great advice from prior posters; all I'd add is:

- If you have e-brakes on the trailer, test the break-away once a year, make sure the system is intact and working.
- If you're mechanically inclined, tear down, clean, inspect the brakes and the bearings. Repack the bearings. Do this unless you know for certain someone else did it recently. If you're not mechanically inclined, get someone to do it for you.
- Spares! Carry a couple of spare bearing sets, castle nuts, cotter pins. The are cheap, and having them guarantees you'll never need them (umbrella theory). But you'll eventually save someone else's bacon and make a friend for life. And carry spare light bulbs, which you will certainly need.
- Look over the trailer wiring, check for corrosion and other issues. Trailer wiring seems to be the home of wrong in terms of crappy connectors especially those heinous tap splice connectors.
- I picked up a two-owner '07 a few years ago, replaced the big connector to the car bc the one I had was pretty corroded. Also redid the wires to it. I put a big vinyl cap over the connector when not in use to protect it from the elements.

Happy trailering!
Old 10-12-2017, 03:13 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Do not get off at exit 27 on route 55. Take the next one - exit 24. Otherwise you may have difficulty making the right turn onto Main st in Millville, even in your open trailer.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:22 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Do not get off at exit 27 on route 55. Take the next one - exit 24. Otherwise you may have difficulty making the right turn onto Main st in Millville, even in your open trailer.

Thanks, great info. Is that the turn where the gas station is on your left once you make the turn?
Old 10-12-2017, 03:38 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes. The Riggins gas station. Intersection of 2nd st and main.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:44 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Yes. The Riggins gas station. Intersection of 2nd st and main.

That's a tight turn without a trailer, but I have seen many trailers bigger than mine make that turn when I was filling up there last trip to Thunderbolt.

I will be meeting up with a friend at a service area on the GSP and he will be driving down with me (in his own track car). That is putting me at ease a little, but make no mistake, I am scared about this first trip. I will be driving very slowly on this "Maiden Voyage".

Breathe, exhale, repeat. Breathe, exhale, repeat....
Old 10-12-2017, 04:03 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
That's a tight turn without a trailer, but I have seen many trailers bigger than mine make that turn when I was filling up there last trip to Thunderbolt.

I will be meeting up with a friend at a service area on the GSP and he will be driving down with me (in his own track car). That is putting me at ease a little, but make no mistake, I am scared about this first trip. I will be driving very slowly on this "Maiden Voyage".

Breathe, exhale, repeat. Breathe, exhale, repeat....
I do some extensive RVing in a 43 footer, so I know what it feels like to be unsure that the thing you are driving will be hard or impossible to navigate through an unfamiliar area. The worst days are arrival and departure days because even though I got in, I might not be able to get out. It's an underlying layer of stress for me for the whole endeavor.

Things that have helped me overcome that uneasiness include: google maps, especially street view. You can literally, in many cases, "drive" the route all the way to your destination and determine whether a turn is too sharp or a bridge too low (in my case) or if everything will be fine.

Also, I try to remember that I'm not the first person to have visited that racetrack/campground/whatever in what I'm driving and while I'm borderline mentally incapacitated, I'm still smarter and more capable than at least 1 person who has done this without incident.

You can do this. It's good to be on alert, but don't stress too much. Prepare, plan, execute.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:14 PM
pvgolfer
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGross
... Also redid the wires to it. I put a big vinyl cap over the connector when not in use to protect it from the elements.

Happy trailering!
Is it recommended to put di-electric grease on the contacts of the trailer connector? My trailer is stored outdoors and I was wondering if that would be good practice. I've already taken the steps to cover the tires to protect them from the sun/UV.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:44 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Just relax - you'll be fine. We have once all been there. Your tow vehicle will be fine unless you're going through a T-Storm with high winds in which case it would be smart to just wait it out. Long term you should be worried about wear and tear on transmission etc. and there is nothing worse than towing in stop and go traffic. Also, check your tongue weight!

One additional thing to add is to NEVER drive into a dead end street or parking lot where you are not 100% sure that you can turn around... and of course don't let anybody help you loading and unloading....
Old 10-12-2017, 07:34 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Also remember that if you switch to diesel tow vehicle and there is only one diesel pump and 19 gas pumps, it will be inevitably occupied with someone that doesn't need diesel or even gas for that matter but has decided to go in the store for an hour to do God knows what but you're stuck because you can't just back up and go somewhere else with your trailer. And when they do come out , they will just sit in the car with door open for another 20 minutes waiting for their friend to come out of the store.

Quick Reply: Just bought my first trailer and.....