Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought my first trailer and.....

Old 10-12-2017, 09:25 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

I just purchased a trailer and really appreciate all this great advice. I have a couple of questions (which I hope the OP won't consider hijacking his thread):
- What is the average service life of tires?
- Should the trailer, brakes, hubs be serviced at least annually?
Old 10-12-2017, 09:31 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
I just purchased a trailer and really appreciate all this great advice. I have a couple of questions (which I hope the OP won't consider hijacking his thread):
I would throw away tires after 3 or 4 years and service it annually. The service is really about checking the brakes and greasing the hubs/bearings.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:05 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,436 Likes on 996 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver

Not hijacking at all. I actually appreciate you adding to the questions and info we will both receive in this thread.

Some really wonderful advice so far. Learning lots of new stuff with every post. This place is incredibly helpful, so ask as many questions as possible. The folks here are great with the helping out.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:05 AM
Conekiller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just started trailering this year as well. My suggestion would be to leave extra early. You would be surprised how much longer it takes doing 60 vs 75-80 like you would when driving to the track. And if your like me you will be paranoid the first couple of times and want to make stops to check to make sure the car isn't moving straps tight etc.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:14 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Another question:

I was told to leave the car in neutral once it's strapped down on the trailer for transport, but my Cayman S is a PDK and I can't take the key out of the ignition unless the car is in "park". I cannot leave the car in neutral while towing.

Is this a problem, or do you have any solutions to get my car in neutral once it's tied down?

Thanks...
Old 10-12-2017, 10:18 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Congrats on the first trailer. Another step down that slippery slope!

I personally would have some concerns towing with the MDX. you have a 3000 lbs car on top of a 1200lbs trailer. That’s 4200lbs. Most will tell you that you never want to be more the 75%of your total tow capacity. However, when looking at the specs for towing with an MDX, as you add weight to the MDX it’s tow capacity ratchets down. The 5000lbs capacity is with two passengers. A third passenger reduces it to 4750lbs. A 4th passenger to 4500lbs. This is important because while I don’t expect your taking you family to the track with you, most will fill the load area with jacks, spare wheels and tires etc.

Lastly, the MDX has a pretty low tongue weight limit, which once again ratchets down as you add weight to the tow vehicle. Adding the same weight as 4 passengers will turn the tongue weight down to 380lbs. This is maybe more important than the total weight of the trailer. I recommend getting the trailer loaded up and then finding someone with tongue weight scale (most trailer retailers have them) to ensure you within spec.

So, knowing all this, for your first trip I would recommend not bringing to much extra stuff and adding weight to your tow vehicle to allow you to experience towing in the best case scenario for your setup. I also would not exceed any speed limits while towing. I would pay special attention to any trailer sway you feel or see. I would ensure all tires on the tow vehicle and trailer are at recommended manufacturer pressures and would monitor them throughout the trip. And as stated above, always leave plenty of distance to the cars in front.

Isn’t the NNJR event Sat/Sun? Wouldn’t getting there Thursday night be a day early?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:18 AM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll second the backup comment. Only put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Moving your hand will move the tail of the trailer in that direction.

It will only take you 2-5 years to get used to backing up!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:36 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Another question:

I was told to leave the car in neutral once it's strapped down on the trailer for transport, but my Cayman S is a PDK and I can't take the key out of the ignition unless the car is in "park". I cannot leave the car in neutral while towing.

Is this a problem, or do you have any solutions to get my car in neutral once it's tied down?

Thanks...
Leave it in park, it’s fine.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:38 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmuller
Congrats on the first trailer. Another step down that slippery slope!

I personally would have some concerns towing with the MDX. you have a 3000 lbs car on top of a 1200lbs trailer. That’s 4200lbs. Most will tell you that you never want to be more the 75%of your total tow capacity. However, when looking at the specs for towing with an MDX, as you add weight to the MDX it’s tow capacity ratchets down. The 5000lbs capacity is with two passengers. A third passenger reduces it to 4750lbs. A 4th passenger to 4500lbs. This is important because while I don’t expect your taking you family to the track with you, most will fill the load area with jacks, spare wheels and tires etc.

Lastly, the MDX has a pretty low tongue weight limit, which once again ratchets down as you add weight to the tow vehicle. Adding the same weight as 4 passengers will turn the tongue weight down to 380lbs. This is maybe more important than the total weight of the trailer. I recommend getting the trailer loaded up and then finding someone with tongue weight scale (most trailer retailers have them) to ensure you within spec.

So, knowing all this, for your first trip I would recommend not bringing to much extra stuff and adding weight to your tow vehicle to allow you to experience towing in the best case scenario for your setup. I also would not exceed any speed limits while towing. I would pay special attention to any trailer sway you feel or see. I would ensure all tires on the tow vehicle and trailer are at recommended manufacturer pressures and would monitor them throughout the trip. And as stated above, always leave plenty of distance to the cars in front.

Isn’t the NNJR event Sat/Sun? Wouldn’t getting there Thursday night be a day early?

Haha. yes, Friday, Can you tell I'm nervous as hell?

What about not being able to keep the car in neutral while towing?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:52 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
Everybody has at least one trailer story. If they don’t, they’re lying.

True DAT!

Loads of good advice here, many folks who shared are folks who taught me when I first began trailering.

FWIW, here are my 12 Rules of Trailering:

1. Find a level spot to load/unload, force yourself to double check each one of the steps below.

2. Avoid loading/unloading in inclement weather or after dark or when fatigued.

3.*important* As tactfully as possible, get rid of people who are 'just helping you' or 'just chatting with you'

4. NEVER unload or load without ensuring the trailer is securely attached to tow rig

5. Always put a chock in front of and behind a trailer wheel before detaching trailer from tow vehicle

6. Keep a checklist, memorize the checklist, use the checklist.

7. After loading vehicle: walk around trailer and make sure everything is perfectly done, if you find something off then correct it, and then walk around again to make sure everything is perfectly done, if you find something off then correct it, and then walk around again...etc.

8. Once you load and secure racecar, stop after driving about 5-10 miles and re-tighten the rachets

9. *GOAL*---If anything - even the teeeeeny tiniest thing - feels/sounds/looks/smells funny Get Out And Look.

10. NEVER EVER EVER EVER LET ANYONE HELP YOU load and unload. Also, be a good neighbor and return the favor by never helping or chatting with anyone who is loading/unloading their trailer. It's OK to say I'm right over there in case you need any help. Remember to walk away after saying that.

11. Once on the road with trailer in tow, use your track driving skills of long-range vision and smooth inputs

12. Inspect trailer tires, keep a spare, check pressures before each haul, replace them every 3 years, buy the best quality you can afford.

Trailer war stories are possibly even better than track driving stories as a way to make friends in the paddock.

Good luck, and happy trailering.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:02 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

All great advice. Please keep it coming.

While the car is on the trailer and in "Park", should I keep the car's emergency brake on?
Old 10-12-2017, 11:04 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
All great advice. Please keep it coming.

While the car is on the trailer and in "Park", should I keep the car's emergency brake on?
If the brakes are hot - no. Cool - fine.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:08 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 177mph
If the brakes are hot - no. Cool - fine.

Should I just leave the EB on the Cayman off? The car is ratcheted down. Does the EB make a difference at that point? Thanks.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:19 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 81 Posts

did someone mention surge brakes? IMO electric is the way to go especially if you have a marginal tow vehicle. They put surge brakes on Uhauls because the users are newbies and not wired for electric brake controllers. But with electric brake controllers you have way better trailer control, can control a sway situation, and test your brakes at anytime including on the fly.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:24 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
did someone mention surge brakes? IMO electric is the way to go especially if you have a marginal tow vehicle. They put surge brakes on Uhauls because the users are newbies and not wired for electric brake controllers. But with electric brake controllers you have way better trailer control, can control a sway situation, and test your brakes at anytime including on the fly.
I've had several sudden stops with surge brakes (everyone else on th highway really truly is an idiot while you are trailering) and have never had an issue. For a heavier trailer EBs are probably necessary, and OP's tow vehicle is marginal, but so long as they are well maintained they work fine. Also, horse, barn door.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just bought my first trailer and.....