I've got the bug and need newbie advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 09:22 PM
67383wagon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've got the bug and need newbie advice

2012 911 Turbo
So I've ran 3 DE weekends and I'm hooked bad. My first 2 events I ran my stock Pirelli's 200's and then picked up a spare tire wheel combo with Bridgestones 140's. The softer Bridgestones seemed to make a real difference. Now I'm ready for a set of track tires but I'm having a hard time finding/figuring out what to get. Tirerack has some Dunlops on clearance that are an 80 compound and $1,073 for a set of 4.

What don't I know?
Am I paying too much attention to the compound rating?
What are you guys running?
What do you recommend?
Where do I get them? (I'm in Ohio)

Thank you
Jason
Old 10-05-2017, 10:19 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Stay with harder compound for the time being
Old 10-05-2017, 10:29 PM
67383wagon
Track Day

Why is that?
Old 10-05-2017, 10:39 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

Better learning experience and less tire wear.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:56 PM
67383wagon
Track Day

Ok thank you, so what do you recommend?
Old 10-06-2017, 12:24 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run the tires you have and feel them get loose. Move on after you're comfortable with slipping and sliding around.

Have fun and stay safe.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:03 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Better learning experience and less tire wear.
This
Old 10-06-2017, 02:29 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Buy a Miata it is much cheaper to learn in. After about 4 sets of tires you will have paid for it.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:04 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Congrats on getting hooked. A 2012 Turbo will provide a lot of fun and speed. However I concur with the advice given so far. Stickier tires would be an unnecessary expense at this point. After only 3 DEs you're just starting up the learning curve. Be patient and maybe get an experienced instructor drive your car instead of just riding along. It will show you how much performance is in your car and how much you have to learn.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:31 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by 67383wagon
Why is that?
Better to learn how to approach and overshoot the grip limit (then correct for that) on low-grip tires. Speeds and stakes get higher with higher grip. You'll spend a lot of money on tires and not learn anything if you keep getting grippier tires and never bring them over 80% of their grip potential. Sure, you'll be "faster" but that's not the kind of fast you want.

As your skill and speed improve you will also need to invest in proper safety (buckets, harness, hans, half-cage) before you move onto high-grip tires, at which point you should consider getting a dedicated race/track car. High HP and high grip without sufficient skill and safety is a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:08 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Better to learn how to approach and overshoot the grip limit (then correct for that) on low-grip tires. Speeds and stakes get higher with higher grip. You'll spend a lot of money on tires and not learn anything if you keep getting grippier tires and never bring them over 80% of their grip potential. Sure, you'll be "faster" but that's not the kind of fast you want.

As your skill and speed improve you will also need to invest in proper safety (buckets, harness, hans, half-cage) before you move onto high-grip tires, at which point you should consider getting a dedicated race/track car. High HP and high grip without sufficient skill and safety is a disaster waiting to happen.
This!!
Old 10-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

All of the above. The learning curve is steep enough with what you have don't make it steeper by going faster with tires. You will learn much more without.

Use the money saved on tires and get a good coach. Nothing is a better investment then that .
Old 10-06-2017, 12:59 PM
67383wagon
Track Day

I appreciate all of the consistent feedback. I do not have an ego nor do I think I'm that good. With that being said I feel the need to explain myself better. My first DE event at Mid Ohio I ran my factory Pirelli's (200's) and on day 2 they bumped me up a class. My second DE at Pitt same thing. I then picked up a used set of wheels with some worn Bridgestone (140's). At my third event at Mid Ohio I had the pro driver drive my car with me shotgun. This was a major eye opener to not only what the car could do but more so the driver could do with the car. He then adjusted me tire pressure and got them stable. What a difference! My next session I was approx. 7 seconds faster and gave me some false confidence. The next session the pro driver to one of the track cars out and followed me for a couple of laps. Then passed me and I followed him for a couple of laps. Afterwards the pro driver said I did amazing because he was trying to lose me in the turns but could not. So I then asked "what should my next set of tires should be, slicks?" he said " absolutely not, you need to refine your skills on some streetable track tires with a R compound around 100 first"
So this was the back story of my original post and me realizing I probably should not have used the term "track" tires but rather high performance street tires.
Which led me to look at the Pirelli Corsa's (100) or the $500 cheaper Dunlop (80)
Hope this helps, I sincerely appreciate the input
Old 10-06-2017, 01:06 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by 67383wagon
I appreciate all of the consistent feedback. I do not have an ego nor do I think I'm that good. With that being said I feel the need to explain myself better. My first DE event at Mid Ohio I ran my factory Pirelli's (200's) and on day 2 they bumped me up a class. My second DE at Pitt same thing. I then picked up a used set of wheels with some worn Bridgestone (140's). At my third event at Mid Ohio I had the pro driver drive my car with me shotgun. This was a major eye opener to not only what the car could do but more so the driver could do with the car. He then adjusted me tire pressure and got them stable. What a difference! My next session I was approx. 7 seconds faster and gave me some false confidence. The next session the pro driver to one of the track cars out and followed me for a couple of laps. Then passed me and I followed him for a couple of laps. Afterwards the pro driver said I did amazing because he was trying to lose me in the turns but could not. So I then asked "what should my next set of tires should be, slicks?" he said " absolutely not, you need to refine your skills on some streetable track tires with a R compound around 100 first"
So this was the back story of my original post and me realizing I probably should not have used the term "track" tires but rather high performance street tires.
Which led me to look at the Pirelli Corsa's (100) or the $500 cheaper Dunlop (80)
Hope this helps, I sincerely appreciate the input
Good to know the background. Consider upgrading your safety equipment too.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:08 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

You are getting lots of good input here. One thing to note, the wear rating is only comparable across a particular manufacturers tire line and not across different manufactures. The pirelli 100 cannot be compared to the Dunlop 80 directly.

Quick Reply: I've got the bug and need newbie advice