Sponsored by:

Better late than never point-by

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 06:50 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I don't mean to go back on topic but I think "drag racing" is relative to the run group and trust you have with the other drivers

I just finished two days at WGI with CVR's advanced run group. If you trust the other person no one has to lift - there is a slight out-brake at the turn - no more than that. There sometimes is a courtesy lift to a faster driver who has less horsepower but faster in the corners.

If a car wants to pass me I stay full throttle, they go one car width off line, I brake slightly earlier and then tuck in behind them. That's it - no drama. If a driver needs to go back on line to make a corner that driver should be in a lower run group.

In lower run groups a lift is very good form and safer.

Now, can we please get back to debating torque, blue flags, and blinker fluid?
To lift is good form in any run group. Especially if you don't know the other driver. Your comment about belonging is out of line and deserves a black flag.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:21 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr911
Respects to Mr. Kibort who I don't know personally but certainly admire how capably he beats the wrong dead horse to a pulp with such consistency and perfection.

With thanks for adding important and valuable discussion matter to my friends Mike, David and Peter for their efforts to avoid the inevitable carnage of this thread I offer this word of encouragement:
Winning!
Old 10-11-2017, 07:22 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PLNewman
Is the torque the same going UP the hill (in 3rd) as going DOWN the hill (in 4th)? Ooops, sorry.

Is
the
torque
the
same
going
UP
the
hill
as
going
DOWN
the
hill?
Also winning!
Old 10-11-2017, 07:23 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

vertical
is
the
new
horizontal
!
seems to be

Originally Posted by PLNewman
Is the torque the same going UP the hill (in 3rd) as going DOWN the hill (in 4th)? Ooops, sorry.

Is
the
torque
the
same
going
UP
the
hill
as
going
DOWN
the
hill?
It
........ can
....................be
.........................IF
................................ gravity
.................................... is
............................. .......... as
........................................... strong
................................................ as
....................................................... the
............................................................. difference
.................................. ............................. in the
................................. .................................... lower
................................ ............................................. gear
Old 10-11-2017, 07:23 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Mark will say anything to "prove" his point, including, but not limited to incorrect, but clearly misunderstood information. Sound familiar?
Old 10-11-2017, 07:29 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,278 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
To lift is good form in any run group. Especially if you don't know the other driver. Your comment about belonging is out of line and deserves a black flag.
I qualified my remark by saying "if you know the other driver" so I stand by what I said as truth.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:42 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

I qualified my remark by saying "if you know the other driver" so I stand by what I said as truth.
Please reread what you wrote about what you do.

If a car wants to pass me I stay full throttle, they go one car width off line, I brake slightly earlier and then tuck in behind them. That's it - no drama.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:11 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 203 Posts

Epic thread.
Now where is that porcupine?
Old 10-11-2017, 08:31 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by morsini
Mark will say anything to "prove" his point, including, but not limited to incorrect, but clearly misunderstood information. Sound familiar?
Mikey, People, always mock what they DONT understand ! Nothing i have said here can be classified as "incorrect" due to it only being my observation. if you want to challenge..............we can do that too!
Old 10-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ExMB
The problem is that in your club/region, they lift on every pass but in his club/region, they don't require it IF the drivers both feel comfortable. (vague, grey area)

Our region says lift if needed, maintain speed if possible, or accelerate less quickly if the other driver is fast enough.

That got me in trouble at another region where they REQUIRE a lift on every pass. I gave a point by immediately as we exited the last turn onto the main straight. If I lifted, then I would have been coasting at 50 mph. I simply accelerated at a reduced rate because I knew he had the HP to pass and I would reel him in on the technical section.
He got upset that I didn't lift even though he completed the pass 1/2 way down the straight. It was definitely a safe pass, BUT I hadn't lifted; which was their rule. Other drivers didn't care, but he did.

So, when in someone's sandbox, play by their rules.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,835 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Mark, have you driven this track? Ever?
Old 10-11-2017, 09:55 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Mark, have you driven this track? Ever?
He doesn't need to. He's an expert at everything. Except maybe replacing 30 year old parts on his "race car". He doesn't appear to be much of an expert at getting people to race him either.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:00 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
The problem is that in your club/region, they lift on every pass but in his club/region, they don't require it IF the drivers both feel comfortable. (vague, grey area)

Our region says lift if needed, maintain speed if possible, or accelerate less quickly if the other driver is fast enough.

That got me in trouble at another region where they REQUIRE a lift on every pass. I gave a point by immediately as we exited the last turn onto the main straight. If I lifted, then I would have been coasting at 50 mph. I simply accelerated at a reduced rate because I knew he had the HP to pass and I would reel him in on the technical section.
He got upset that I didn't lift even though he completed the pass 1/2 way down the straight. It was definitely a safe pass, BUT I hadn't lifted; which was their rule. Other drivers didn't care, but he did.

So, when in someone's sandbox, play by their rules.
And you're assuming that this is in my club/region. Not that it matters, but in all the regions I attend point bys are mandatory as well as lifting; and that also includes the expanded passing groups. Now lifting is the grey area: miata = lots of lift, cup = less lift . All tempered by the speed capability of the car and skill of the drivers on track at that time. IMHO when the car being passed doesn't lift it decreases safety and it can run the danger of turning a non expanded passing run group into an expanded passing one especially on late point bys (we all know those happen at times).
Old 10-11-2017, 10:16 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,413 Likes on 754 Posts

President Trump's hair is actually real.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:22 PM
HPDE Guru
Advanced

[warily approaches Pandora's box. Lifts lid.]

can I add some clarity here? I'm the eventmaster. Mark Hicks, Director of Chin Track Days. I know each player at the event. PLNewman is a rock-solid reliable driver and instructor, widely respected in the paddock. He's got 100s of days experience, and multiple PCA Club Racing class podiums, even though he does not display it his RL signature. He's highly conditioned to the expectations of this format. Just as DTMiller says:
- point-by signals are required. no exceptions.
- Driver ahead gave an appropriate signal
- Best practices for passing after Rd A T11/bridge is ALWAYS driver's right.
- the little red prototype is WRONG. Unequivocal.

I am actually the guy that gets to decide that. I parked him in the next session.

If it's Chin related, the buck stops here. The prototype driver made a poor choice. PLNewman's years of experience saved the prototype's ***.

Quick Reply: Better late than never point-by