Better late than never point-by

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 02:46 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
I thought that flag meant the car behind you has more Torque...
Now we can open up a debate into what it truly means to be behind another car, if an overlap counts as being behind, and also the torque disparity between the lead car and following car.

Good stuff - worth at least 15 more pages!
Old 10-11-2017, 03:03 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Now we can open up a debate into what it truly means to be behind another car, if an overlap counts as being behind, and also the torque disparity between the lead car and following car.

Torque makes you think you can make the pass, HP makes the pass.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Now we can open up a debate into the torque disparity between the lead car and following car.

Now, you did it!
Old 10-11-2017, 03:49 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts
Default So, back to the Road Atlanta pass....

The driver of the poor little 190 HP Spec Boxster had completed Turn 10A when he spotted the Prototype briefly in the rearview mirror (still in the braking zone).

Just 4.2 seconds later, the driver of the poor little 190 HP Spec Boxster (still climbing the hill) gave a clear "over the top" pass signal to the right. Note: the flag station is not displaying a blue/yellow flag.

Just 4.2 seconds later, the driver of the prototype passes on the left. (By the way, this car did NOT compete in the Petit Le Mans, days later.)

Was it power or torque? The prototype weighs 1,000 pounds less than the poor little 190 HP Spec Boxster. Hey, I'm just trying to keep the thread going.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:22 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
^^^ This is it ^^^ At almost every driver's meeting it is encouraged to suck it up and give passes on the straight so everyone can get back on pace at the turn. However it seems you get the occasional drag race to the corner (which can be fun if the drivers know and trust each other - but that's a different topic), or you get the person that suddenly wakes up at the end of the straight and discovers there's a car on their *** - this is a situational awareness problem.
EXACTLY!

I just completed a DE where someone lacked that skill. His point bys happened halfway down the straight and then he didn't lift, continued to drag race to the corner and expected to be able to stay on line (his). He also ignored the instructions in the driver's meeting regarding passing, lifting and point bys. The CDI was ready to black flag him if he didn't comply with the rules.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:30 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Mike,

It's always power! (power is the car's capacity to accelerate at any speed) or better said, HP/weight .

Yes, i get you saw the little red shiny object in your rear view. 4.2 seconds later he was by you . Just forward 4.2 seconds and see how far in front he was. My only point was the little over the roof pass signal , as viewed by the prototype that probably wasnt fixated on you until he was rapidly overtaking, maybe only saw your arm out the window (as something poking out the window), and not your little finger.

just in the spirit of "keeping this all going" as you say.

Originally Posted by PLNewman
The driver of the poor little 190 HP Spec Boxster had completed Turn 10A when he spotted the Prototype briefly in the rearview mirror (still in the braking zone).

Just 4.2 seconds later, the driver of the poor little 190 HP Spec Boxster (still climbing the hill) gave a clear "over the top" pass signal to the right. Note: the flag station is not displaying a blue/yellow flag.

Just 4.2 seconds later, the driver of the prototype passes on the left. (By the way, this car did NOT compete in the Petit Le Mans, days later.)

Was it power or torque? The prototype weighs 1,000 pounds less than the poor little 190 HP Spec Boxster. Hey, I'm just trying to keep the thread going.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:31 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
EXACTLY!

I just completed a DE where someone lacked that skill. His point bys happened halfway down the straight and then he didn't lift, continued to drag race to the corner and expected to be able to stay on line (his). He also ignored the instructions in the driver's meeting regarding passing, lifting and point bys. The CDI was ready to black flag him if he didn't comply with the rules.
I don't mean to go back on topic but I think "drag racing" is relative to the run group and trust you have with the other drivers

I just finished two days at WGI with CVR's advanced run group. If you trust the other person no one has to lift - there is a slight out-brake at the turn - no more than that. There sometimes is a courtesy lift to a faster driver who has less horsepower but faster in the corners.

If a car wants to pass me I stay full throttle, they go one car width off line, I brake slightly earlier and then tuck in behind them. That's it - no drama. If a driver needs to go back on line to make a corner that driver should be in a lower run group.

In lower run groups a lift is very good form and safer.

Now, can we please get back to debating torque, blue flags, and blinker fluid?
Old 10-11-2017, 04:44 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Mike, here is the bottom line

you and many others might not be seeing the entire picture.

see if you can follow

1. you show he is in your mirror as you are hitting the last turn before the bridge

2. i show a picture of a car you are following.

3. watch the white car you are following as you approach the bridge. he totally disappears as he goes under the bridge

4. you make a point by at the bridge. so there is a HUGE probability he saw nothing but something out the window for a fraction of a second

5. i hope my reconstruction of the events leading up to the pass makes sense on how the red prototype could have not seen much of your point by.

6. everyone agree???

here are the screen shots in order.

car in front before bridge
car in front disapears just after the bridge
you give point by as you travel under the bridge

Originally Posted by PLNewman

Attached Images     
Old 10-11-2017, 04:52 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

It
Is
An
HPDE
Where
Point
Bys
Are
Mandatory
So
If
The
Prototype
Driver
Didn't
See
The
Point
By
He
Should
Not
Pass
At
All
Why
Is
This
So
Hard
For
You
Old 10-11-2017, 04:55 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

again, you are not reading . vertically better? Ok

the
point
by
was
late
partially, not totally
hidden
probalby
only
saw
"something"
out
the
window
not expecting
the over
roof point by
he
passed
on
left.

did
you
see
how
hard
it
is
to
see
a
point
by
as you
approach
the
bridge
???

Originally Posted by DTMiller
It
Is
An
HPDE
Where
Point
Bys
Are
Mandatory
So
If
The
Prototype
Driver
Didn't
See
The
Point
By
He
Should
Not
Pass
At
All
Why
Is
This
So
Hard
For
You
Old 10-11-2017, 04:59 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Definitely torque. Torque is all that matters.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Un
****ing
Believeable
Old 10-11-2017, 05:08 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Definitely torque. Torque is all that matters.
at the engine, then multiplied through the gears, to tires, and then converted to a linear force...........then yes. Or HP... either way.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Un
****ing
Believeable
are you getting lost?

Just for fun, i elapsed the 3 seconds that was given to the prototype to show the speeds and distance traveled as well as likely position of the prototype. since he gave the point by 3 seconds prior to the pass, i let 3 seconds go by and look how far traveled ahead. this means , likely he was at least that far behind.. so, I would be he only saw a blur of something out the window. just an observation. take it or leave it.
i would be willing to bet money if you found the LMP2 driver, he would say that this was the situation.

The MORAL of the story is that when you give pointbys near turns or hills , there is a chance your signal either wont be seen or misinterpreted. so, be prepared. its all about taking all the risks into account during any interaction on the track.
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2017, 05:33 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

vertical
is
the
new
horizontal
!
Old 10-11-2017, 06:02 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Is the torque the same going UP the hill (in 3rd) as going DOWN the hill (in 4th)? Ooops, sorry.

Is
the
torque
the
same
going
UP
the
hill
as
going
DOWN