Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

mind the drawings please....
Old 10-04-2017, 10:56 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Never liked point-bys. Imo safety dependent on the passer not the lead car. Mike
Old 10-05-2017, 07:18 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Imo safety dependent on the passer not the lead car. Mike
Ummm, that’s been the case for all time. Or should be...

The passer is the only one who can see the trajectory and position of BOTH cars.

The passee signalling is a sign of sentient, aware and usually considerate life inside the passee’s helmet.

Once you erode responsibility inherent on the passer for initiating and completing a safe pass, the quality of their judgment goes down.

Proven through countless pages of RL banter. And a fact supported by data...
Old 10-05-2017, 09:07 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Yup, dat's me...sentient, aware, and usually considerate (but only inside my helmet).
Old 10-05-2017, 09:35 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
Yup, dat's me...sentient, aware, and usually considerate (but only inside my helmet).
Yep. YOU'RE the one that needs to stick around Rennlist...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-05-2017, 09:40 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

How is a driver pointing to the left or a driver reaching his arm over the roof and pointing to the right confusing?

In all my years- I've never been confused about the direction a DE driver was pointing.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:15 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by 177mph
How is a driver pointing to the left or a driver reaching his arm over the roof and pointing to the right confusing?

In all my years- I've never been confused about the direction a DE driver was pointing.
+1
Old 10-05-2017, 10:22 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

To be fair, there was some (inexplicable) confusion over the format of the event but this is a good lesson in what happens when one's credibility has been shot to **** by previous dumb***ery such that no one gives you an inch.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:26 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
To be fair, there was some (inexplicable) confusion over the format of the event but this is a good lesson in what happens when one's credibility has been shot to **** by previous dumb***ery such that no one gives you an inch.
To be fair, had he actually READ the thread BEFORE posting, it all would have been clear. Everyone else here knew it was a point by event.

Ready
Fire
Aim

Lather
Rinse
Repeat
Old 10-05-2017, 06:15 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Everyone else here knew it was a point by event.

Funny thing to me is this was an "open passing with point by group". How weird. If you are competent enough for open passing do you need to have a point by?

It just seems like another baby step of someone else trying to protect me from myself because they know what is good for me.

When will my guns be confiscated and 500hp cars become illegal? I for "lawn darts", BB guns for boys and Darwinism. I'm still here and I drank out of the water hose!
Old 10-05-2017, 06:20 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Funny thing to me is this was an "open passing with point by group". How weird. If you are competent enough for open passing do you need to have a point by?

It just seems like another baby step of someone else trying to protect me from myself because they know what is good for me.

When will my guns be confiscated and 500hp cars become illegal? I for "lawn darts", BB guns for boys and Darwinism. I'm still here and I drank out of the water hose!
It isn't open passing in the sense of just go ahead and pass; it's open passing in that, with a point by, you can pass anywhere including in the turns. Fairly standard in the more experienced DE groups. DE isn't racing.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:14 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Here's the problem:

1- We're not professional drivers
2- We don't drive at speed every day
3- If we're all running at approx. the same speed, no problem
4- These prototypes arrive out of nowhere
5- They're so low, you can't see them
6- Drive your line and they'll go around you?
7- What happens when they pass where you don't expect them?
Old 10-05-2017, 07:28 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
It isn't open passing in the sense of just go ahead and pass; it's open passing in that, with a point by, you can pass anywhere including in the turns. Fairly standard in the more experienced DE groups. DE isn't racing.
maybe I should be voted off the porsche island but the 1/2 dozen+ or so DE groups I have run with all have open passing as simulated race environment. Point by in those groups is a courtesy. Different organizers have different rules. It just seems strange that once you get to an open passing level one would still need more hand holding. What is even more silly is you have hand holding for safety, I guess, yet allow 4000lbs cars run with 1500lb prototypes that are invisible. Clearly questionable safety and history of fatalities in other organizations when cars are so mixed. But that's fine and it does not effect me since that's not my bag...
Old 10-05-2017, 08:32 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
maybe I should be voted off the porsche island but the 1/2 dozen+ or so DE groups I have run with all have open passing as simulated race environment. Point by in those groups is a courtesy.
In my 11 years of doing DE's with PCA in ALL run-group levels I have never driven in a session where point-bys were not mandatory. In all meetings, with all PCA regions, and at all levels "open passing" meant that passing is allowed anywhere on the track (with point-bys still being mandatory) -- this includes sessions where >90% of the drivers were also racers.

Yes, mandatory point-bys may sometimes slow someone down and ruin their hot-lap but that's the "price" everyone in PCA DE events has accepted to "pay" in return for the vastly improved odds for avoiding contact.

Quick Reply: Better late than never point-by