Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AiM SoloDL w/CAN connection: does it charge from the main plug?

Old 09-19-2017, 09:46 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 757 Likes on 497 Posts

If you find the end of the black cable that plugs into the DL, the 12v and ground lead should be right there. The leads are not overly long. You can see the cable as #8 at the bottom of this page http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/pro...ifications.htm
Old 09-20-2017, 12:48 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
If you find the end of the black cable that plugs into the DL, the 12v and ground lead should be right there. The leads are not overly long. You can see the cable as #8 at the bottom of this page http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/pro...ifications.htm
Ya I just need to figure out WHERE the cable disappears to.

The new cable that came with the SoloDL I bought looks like it's 20' long... I wonder if all 20' of the one installed in the car is buried in there somewhere or if they trimmed it.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Ya I just need to figure out WHERE the cable disappears to.

The new cable that came with the SoloDL I bought looks like it's 20' long... I wonder if all 20' of the one installed in the car is buried in there somewhere or if they trimmed it.
The Solo DL CAN/RS-232 cable (red/black, two blues and two whites) is a special cable that cannot be trimmed and still work.

The power cable part has a shrink wrapped board with a diode to prevent the battery power from the Solo DL feeding back to the car, and also has a CAN termination resistor.

Get the right cable! Stock length is 1.4 meters
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 09-20-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:28 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The Solo DL CAN/RS-232 cable (red/black, two blues and two whites) is a special cable that cannot be trimmed and still work well.

The power cable part has a shrink wrapped board with a diode to prevent the battery power from the Solo DL feeding back to the car, and also has a CAN termination resistor.

Get the right cable!
Cool.

The car was wired for AiM by someone before me... I just happened to find the connector hanging under the dash. I don't know where the other end is... but I lucked out in that the SoloDL connects and talks to CAN through it. Just looks like whoever ran this wire didn't do the power connection... because the SoloDL definitely isn't getting juice through it.

Worst case I'll just stuff it back under the dash and re-wire using the new harness that came with my SoloDL.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:01 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 92 Posts

Related question: do others find that the power cord for the solo DL generates a lot of interference? Mine seems to add noise to both my FM reception as well as my smartycam mic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AiM SoloDL w/CAN connection: does it charge from the main plug?