Sponsored by:

Unawareness/Sloppiness at Sears Point

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 02:30 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by MarinS4
No Turbo. Just a little Rotrex Super Charger. Car runs 1:41's with a good driver.
so , yes! a "turbo-supercharger".. figures....
very nice rig!!

Originally Posted by winders
Have you ever thought that you can't stop asshats from being asshats? And that you sometimes can't identify asshats until they done some asshat thing?
thats why i mentioned the rookie licence and a heart to heart with the new driver to let them know that they are being watched. (along with the reminder of the 13/13 rules if they are still being enforced)

Originally Posted by winders
I don't think the #69 driver hit the BMW on purpose. A lack of patience and awareness was the cause of the wreck as far as I am concerned. The other things I mentioned factored in.

Our race director has the authority to remove a participant at any time for any reason. The #69 driver will not be welcomed back to our group.

We do have clear rules/guidelines for on track behavior and we enforce them, period. If the incident had occurred on Saturday, he would not have been driving with us on Sunday.
wise decision by PRC
Old 09-19-2017, 12:57 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy, run away to Utah for a week to race and a thread goes nuts. A few comments ...

As mentioned PRC is a non-profit group that runs under the NASA umbrella. All drivers must meet NASA regulations for a race license. In addition they must go through a PRC orientation (not dissimilar from the chat with Susan for PCA). PRC has its own track stewards.

There were no complaints about the cup cars or the driver in question brought to the PRC stewards before the incident. After the incident the driver did not follow NASA or PRC procedures for an incident review. The #69 car ran in different run groups with different drivers. The driver who caused the collision has been identified and banned from PRC/NASA events for the next year.

PRC rules are here. We are a bit more specific than PCA or other groups with respect to 'racing room' and passing.

I am a member of the PRC board and a steward.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:31 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

So may I ask and he probably deserved it(mr 69) - what's the specific infraction under NASA/PRC rules? Rather than clicking on the link on PRC/NASA rules- what's the specifics and how was it determined? Mike
Old 09-19-2017, 06:57 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
PRC rules are here. We are a bit more specific than PCA or other groups with respect to 'racing room' and passing.

I am a member of the PRC board and a steward.
From the linked PRC rules:

"Physical Overlap: Physical overlap is obtained when the front bumper of the trailing car passes the rear bumper of the lead car. If physical overlap occurs anywhere in the braking zone or at turn in then both the lead car and the passing car must leave racing room throughout the entire turn."

Amen! Smart and simple. I would make it even simpler and make it valid anywhere on the track, not just braking zones and turns.

Btw, this was irrelevant for the incident in the OP -- was just making a general remark.

Last edited by hf1; 09-19-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
From the linked PRC rules:

"Physical Overlap: Physical overlap is obtained when the front bumper of the trailing car passes the rear bumper of the lead car. If physical overlap occurs anywhere in the braking zone or at turn in then both the lead car and the passing car must leave racing room throughout the entire turn."

Amen! Smart and simple. I would make it even simpler and make it valid anywhere on the track, not just braking zones and turns.

Btw, this was irrelevant for the incident in the OP -- was just making a general remark.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:46 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W

There were no complaints about the cup cars or the driver in question brought to the PRC stewards before the incident.
I have to take that to heart and reconsider how I deal with poorly driven cars. In our run (group C) that car was a running joke amongst us yet nobody (to my knowledge) complained to officials. None of us want to be "that guy" but I now understand safety is the responsibility of all of us.

Last edited by MarinS4; 09-20-2017 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:04 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 324 Posts

I think there are several issues here. Obviously that was an overly aggressive move, that not only caused severe car damage, but also physical harm to the driver. That's entirely unacceptable. I would hope that the car and all drivers associated with it were booted instantly.

But the real issue here is how do you properly vet a new car/drivers? There needs to be close monitoring of the "rookies" throughout the event and any transgressions need to be addressed right away.

Otherwise, incidents don't reported, so the organization thinks all is well until a major incident occurs.

Another issue is that many organizers are reluctant to sanction participants. They don't want to turn people away, get bad PR, *lose the money* etc.

Sad to say, but they just don't have the backbone to tell someone that their bad behavior isn't going to be tolerated and to put their car on the trailer and leave....
Old 09-20-2017, 08:54 PM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Was there any word why the #69 was at the back of the grid? Car or driver issue? If a driver issue maybe a no pass for one lap sanction would be in order for such a powerful car in questionable hands, hindsight being so clear.
That jerky move looks like it was done in anger,spite or entitlement.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:59 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

any word on why the car was so slow in the lower group, at a 1:51 and looking like he was lost (as VR said) vs doing a 1:40 in the Winders race, running around 1:51 cars like they were standing still? same driver? illegal driver change? same name was listed in the two groups.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:53 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Different driver
Old 09-21-2017, 11:56 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
any word on why the car was so slow in the lower group, at a 1:51 and looking like he was lost (as VR said) vs doing a 1:40 in the Winders race, running around 1:51 cars like they were standing still? same driver? illegal driver change? same name was listed in the two groups.
For a guy who always complains about people not reading what you wrote, you sure don't pay attention. Different drivers were determined ten pages ago.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:51 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by morsini
For a guy who always complains about people not reading what you wrote, you sure don't pay attention. Different drivers were determined ten pages ago.
smart ***!
ive read the posts, but i didnt think it was conclusive. in reading the results, the name was the same. however, i agree, the driver drove differently for sure based on the video. do we know who was the fast driver that was careless or who was the slow driver that didnt know where the apex was?
Old 09-21-2017, 02:53 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Different driver

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 09-21-2017, 10:47 PM
Obturate
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I think part of the problem is some of the driver's have more disposable income than others. For me, I find the tire expense hard to swallow let alone repair of a wrecked car.

Quick Reply: Unawareness/Sloppiness at Sears Point